Dont buy Ammo from Walmart

I put the Information I received to the test.I went to my local Walmart this morning, and asked for an box of.45ACP the young clerk did not ask for my Pistol Permit.

He did however, ask to see my Drivers License.which made me feel young again since I'm, pushing 50 after reading Email again, as stated before I read email wrong, and posted bad Intell.I apolojize for stirring up the pot.

New York law says that you need a permit to buy a handgun or "handgun ammo". Most places won't make you show a permit for ammo because there is no such thing as "handgun ammo", but walmart doesn't care. I have been there while a guy was arguing with the cashier about it while on the phone with corporate complaining.

And in NY you have to have a carry permit to posses a handgun at all, so the argument that its not for carrying won't matter.

I will say that the time or two I have showed my permit for ammo they didn't record anything. They just checked to see that it was mine, and that was enough. Gander Mountain makes you show your permit before handling a handgun, but they don't record anything (this is fairly new procedure).

Can anyone save me some time if this is a Gander Mountain CYA policy or is it state law? I do not have a NY permit but do have one from a bordering state and apparently that is not good enough. They have trigger locks on every handgun but will not let anyone without a NY permit handle them. This is something that ticks me off. At some point I am inclined to ask for management and give them a hard time if it is company policy and not state law. I'd like to walk over to the counter with a few hundred dollars of merchandise I just purchased and return it to the clerk saying they obviously don't want my business.
For those that might say I should only be able to handle something I could buy, and in New York I would not be able to buy a handgun, I would say that the store I was in is closer to me then the one in my own neighboring state and if I like what I am checking out they can ship it to my FFL or better ship it to my home state Gander Mountain or now that I have checked it out and want it I will make a trip to the Gander Mountain store in my own state to purchase it.
Just need to know if it is state law or company policy in case the next time in GM I just can't keep my mouth shut.

In N.Y.S. you cannot touch a handgun unless you have a N.Y.S. handgun permit. The best is in Orange County, (Not sure of other counties.) N.Y. You must purchase a handgun as part of the handgun permit process. You can't touch it, but you have to buy it. Because of some issues it took me about 2 years to get my permit so when I finally got it, my handgun was an older model. If I hadn't gotten it I guess I was out about 500 on the gun. Plus all the fees. Where is the sense in that? You may be able to handle it if the salesperson is a registered NRA firearm instructor.

Yep, it's a NY Wally World policy. In PA, the only thing you have to show & tell them is "cash or charge". Since you don't need a permit to own a handgun. Wally World still and always will have the best prices on ammo. Unless you live across the street from Cabelas :)

I would bet any shop in NY or NJ would have a similar policy.

TekGreg:221132 said:
Maybe I'm missing something here. Wal-Mart can't REQUIRE something they don't know you have. They KNOW you have a Social Security number. Since you drove to the store, chances are you have a state-issued Driver's License. But NO ONE knows you own a CCW other than the issuing agency and any LE agency they share the info with.

DONE! Now the clerk is less likely to even bring up a CCW with the next person as he's seen what happens when he tries to ask for one. If a manager is called, I think their Privacy Policy should be discussed, as this is collection of non-essential data. This is not something Wal-Mart can "require" under any circumstances.
I whole heartedly agree. This would be a direct contradiction to the privacy laws in place to protect people like us.

I'm require to show my license for any ammo purchase since we have to be licensed to posess any firearm or ammunition.

Let me explain why. In NYS no store may sell handgun ammunition to any person not allowed to posses such. Walmart is not recording permit information and even if they were there is no one to report it to. No one in this state or in the federal government is currently keeping track of who purchases ammunition from a retailer. Some smaller retailers are unaware of this requirement and sell without checking.

NYS Penal Law

ARTICLE 270--OTHER OFFENSES RELATING TO PUBLIC SAFETY
Section 270.00 Unlawfully dealing with fireworks and dangerous fireworks

(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision four of this section, it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any ammunition designed for use in a pistol or revolver to any person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor.

Walmart is merely following the NYS penal Law.

I show them the BACK of my permit where it states the caliber of weapons I own. They don't get to touch it, and they don't get to copy my info, and I always pay CASH....

Walmart can't sell you ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver unless you are authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. Thus, it makes sense for Walmart to require you to show our pistol permit, and for Walmart to record the information to protect itself from prosecution.

New York State Penal law, Section 270.00(5):

"... it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any
ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any
person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation
of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor."

Let me explain why. In NYS no store may sell handgun ammunition to any person not allowed to posses such. Walmart is not recording permit information and even if they were there is no one to report it to. No one in this state or in the federal government is currently keeping track of who purchases ammunition from a retailer. Some smaller retailers are unaware of this requirement and sell without checking.

NYS Penal Law

ARTICLE 270--OTHER OFFENSES RELATING TO PUBLIC SAFETY
Section 270.00 Unlawfully dealing with fireworks and dangerous fireworks

(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision four of this section, it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any ammunition designed for use in a pistol or revolver to any person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor.

Walmart is merely following the NYS penal Law.

Excellent reason to purchase ammo in a more "gun friendly" state if moving isn't an option.

Excellent reason to purchase ammo in a more "gun friendly" state if moving isn't an option.
Many people in these so-called "gun friendly" states you speak of can't enter a bar or restuarant, ride public transportation or enter a church, bank or hospital by law. many others must renew their license. In NY we enjoy these freedoms that many states don't. If one is required to have a permit to own a handgun then I prefer he show it to purchase ammo. The local night life will have to look elsewhere for retail ammo purchases.

Walmart can't sell you ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver unless you are authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. Thus, it makes sense for Walmart to require you to show our pistol permit, and for Walmart to record the information to protect itself from prosecution.

New York State Penal law, Section 270.00(5):

"... it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any
ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any
person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation
of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor."

You can buy a 9mm carbine without a permit, but can't buy ammo for it because its considered "handgun ammo". The problem here is that it says "exclusively designed for use in a pistol". I dont know about all handgun ammo, but 9mm and .40 can be used in long guns that don't require a permit.

Walmart has asked me for my permit, but other stores, including Dicks in the same mall, never have.

Many people in these so-called "gun friendly" states you speak of can't enter a bar or restuarant, ride public transportation or enter a church, bank or hospital by law. many others must renew their license. In NY we enjoy these freedoms that many states don't. If one is required to have a permit to own a handgun then I prefer he show it to purchase ammo. The local night life will have to look elsewhere for retail ammo purchases.

Do you seriously believe that restricting ammo purchases will keep them out of the hands of criminals? They've somehow figured out how to get firearms, which by the way should be a lot more difficult due to applicable FEDERAL LAW.

Criminals find a way to get what they need to continue their criminal activities. Restricting law abiding citizens does more harm than good. As a firearms instructor who works with a team of other instructors, we often share responsibilities in preparing for our classes. Having one person pick up all of the ammo for the class would not be possible if a permit was required to purchase ammo, as no single individual in our group owns a firearm of each caliber.

I sure wish more effort would be made to enforce existing laws to shut down criminals rather than creating more laws to restrict law abiding citizens.

Do you seriously believe that restricting ammo purchases will keep them out of the hands of criminals? They've somehow figured out how to get firearms, which by the way should be a lot more difficult due to applicable FEDERAL LAW.

Criminals find a way to get what they need to continue their criminal activities. Restricting law abiding citizens does more harm than good. As a firearms instructor who works with a team of other instructors, we often share responsibilities in preparing for our classes. Having one person pick up all of the ammo for the class would not be possible if a permit was required to purchase ammo, as no single individual in our group owns a firearm of each caliber.

I sure wish more effort would be made to enforce existing laws to shut down criminals rather than creating more laws to restrict law abiding citizens.

The same logic could be used with regard to every item whose possession without authorization is prohibited, like prescription drugs.

Laws serve many purposes, and although a law prohibiting a person from possessing certain items without authorization might not prevent every criminal from obtaining the item, it does make it more difficult, thereby eliminating possession by some criminals and more importantly gives us the ability to prosecute those who are caught with the illegal possession.

Moreover, if you don't have a permit that allows you to possess a handgun, then there is no need for you to be buying handgun ammunition.

The same logic could be used with regard to every item whose possession without authorization is prohibited, like prescription drugs.

Laws serve many purposes, and although a law prohibiting a person from possessing certain items without authorization might not prevent every criminal from obtaining the item, it does make it more difficult, thereby eliminating possession by some criminals and more importantly gives us the ability to prosecute those who are caught with the illegal possession.

Moreover, if you don't have a permit that allows you to possess a handgun, then there is no need for you to be buying handgun ammunition.

Prescription drugs is a different issue. For one, the US Constitution does not guarantee the right to bear prescriptions. Also, there are many factors involved in the prescription and dispensing of drugs. Proper dosage, adverse reactions, drug interactions, etc. As a matter of public safety, certain drugs should be dispensed through a licensed pharmacy.

There are rifles that take handgun cartridges, as well as sporting equipment that uses handgun cartridges (bang sticks). Individuals who are looking to purchase a handgun may want to purchase various calibers of ammunition so they can try a friend's firearm prior to purchase.

I haven't seen any hard evidence that restricting the sale of handgun ammunition will reduce crime. Funny how NYC has a high rate of violent crime and many times firearms are involved. With the restrictions on handgun possession and ammo purchase, one would think that the numbers would be a lot less.

Restriction on handgun ammo harms law abiding citizens more than it helps.

Prescription drugs is a different issue. For one, the US Constitution does not guarantee the right to bear prescriptions. Also, there are many factors involved in the prescription and dispensing of drugs. Proper dosage, adverse reactions, drug interactions, etc. As a matter of public safety, certain drugs should be dispensed through a licensed pharmacy.

What's the difference? Ammo can only be sold by a licensed dealer. We are talking about the purchaser, not the seller. In both cases the purchaser has to be authorized to purchase the item. It has nothing to do with the seller.

The 2nd amendment doesn't provide an unrestricted right to own a firearm. In fact, the courts have upheld permit schemes. Thus, the second doesn't prohibit limiting ammunition purchase to licensed gun owners.

Individuals who are looking to purchase a handgun may want to purchase various calibers of ammunition so they can try a friend's firearm prior to purchase.

Yeah, and it would be nice if my 16-year old kid could pick me up a bottle of bourbon while on the way back from the mall so I didn't have to be inconvenienced buying it myself.

I haven't seen any hard evidence that restricting the sale of handgun ammunition will not reduce crime.

Violent crime rates in Alaska, South Carolina, and Florida are more than twice that in New York State. The violent crime rate in Texas is 50% more.

Some infor on this:

- Neither NYS or Walmart require you own the caliber gun you're buying for. Their policy does no require the clerk check the license to see if you own that caliber. So one instructor can pickup all the ammo. We do it all the time. If he's denied that's a Walmart thing, not a law.
- This is not a restrition on law-abiding citizens. All law-abiding citizens who want a gun are required to get a permit in NY. No one will deny or restrict your right to buy the ammo.
- Ammo is regularly sold to anyone at gun shows throughout the state without a license check.

ammo

Bought 250 rounds of 45acp, 100 rounds of 357magnum and 50 rounds of 38 special. All with nothing but my bank debit card. All done here at my local Wat-Mart lastnight.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back