Does the government/ news media lie to us?

HK4U

I would like your thoughts. Does or government and the news media lie to us. Have they ever lied to us in the past? Consider the following quotes and check out the site. What is do you think?

Our job is to give people not what they want, but what we decide they ought to have."
Richard Salent, former president, CBS News

We live in a dirty and dangerous world. There are some things the general public does not need to know and shouldn't. I believe democracy flourishes when the government can take legitimate steps to keep its secrets, and when the press can decide whether to print what it knows."
Katherine Graham, Washington Post publisher and CFR member

There is no such thing as an independent press in America, unless it is in the country towns. You know it and I know it. There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print.

"I am paid $150.00 a week for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for doing similar things. If I should permit honest opinions to be printed in one issue of my paper, like Othello, before twenty-four hours, my occupation would be gone.

"The business of the New York journalist is to destroy truth; to lie outright; to pervert; to vilify, to fawn at the feet of Mammon; to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. We are the tools and vessels for rich men behind the scenes. We are intellectual prostitutes."

John Swinton, editor

We in the press like to say we're honest brokers of information and it's just not true. The press does have an agenda."
Bernard Goldberg, as quoted by Harry Stein in the June 13-19, 1992 TV Guid

Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."
Hermann Goering, President of the Reichstag, Nazi Party, and Luftwaffe Commander in Chief

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a dirty and dangerous world. There are some things the general public does not need to know and shouldn't. I believe democracy flourishes when the government can take legitimate steps to keep its secrets, and when the press can decide whether to print what it knows."
-- Katherine Graham, Washington Post publisher and Bilderberger

We are grateful to the Washington Post, The New York Times, Time Magazine and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subjected to the lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries."
David Rockefeller, Baden-Baden, Germany 1991

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2261

I agree that there is very littel in the media that is not printed with some sort of agenda in mind. I do not know enough about who controls what but I would say there is definatly an agenda at work.

I would add that the greatest tool in correcting the media and showing their truths or lies is the internet. With this tool we who are rightly suspicious of certain stories may show them to be either true or false. I had a front row seat with regard to how the media portray things in OIF 1 and the current version. In OIF 1 we had reporters embeded with our unit they could look at the same action I did and spin it totally opposite how I saw it. I know they were told to report things in a certain fashion with a particular slant. They did a very good job of reporting the FACTS that supported the point of view their employer had told them report. It disgusted me to no end. I do not believe half of what I read anymore. I trust my own eyes and my instincts.

On that note there is very little violence in the Anbar Province of Iraq right now. We rarely see anymore roadside IED's. The local government is working, sort of.There is plenty of graft still but for the most part things are working. However we Americans are still being relied on too much to settle petty disputes that the Iraqis should be handling. Graft and corruption are a way of life in the middle east it is part of all societies however here it is naked and in the open. The Iraqis here are in the drivers seat of the local government.

I bet you don't see much about that in the press.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back