Does South Carolina Issue Non-Resident CCW Permits or Not?

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
On this page it states:
Link Removed

South Carolina does not issue non-resident permits and non-resident permits are not recognized by South Carolina, whether or not South Carolina has established reciprocity with the other state, because South Carolina law allows recognition only of permits issued to residents of the reciprocal state (SC Code Section 23-31-215(N)).

Yet on the left there is a link to the Non-Resident CWP Form.

So does South Carolina issue to non-residents or not?

Yes we do but only if you own property in SC and pay property taxes on it.

EDIT:
Luke, if you open the non-resident form you'll see it's a Real Property Tax verification form.

The section of code is S.C. Code Section 23-31-215(A)(3)

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, except subject to subsection (B) of this section, SLED must issue a permit, which is no larger than three and one-half inches by three inches in size, to carry a concealable weapon to a resident or qualified nonresident who is at least twenty-one years of age and who is not prohibited by state law from possessing the weapon upon submission of:

(3) proof of residence or if the person is a qualified nonresident, proof of ownership of real property in this State;

Link Removed

SC is notorious about being slow to update their sites.

Last edited:
My answer, which was the same, must have gotten lost in the database maintenance today.

But I see the smilies are back.:suicide2::cray::dirol::hang3:

I remember from packing.org that South Carolina does indeed issue CWPs to nonresidents who own property in SC and pay taxes on it.

I remember from packing.org that South Carolina does indeed issue CWPs to nonresidents who own property in SC and pay taxes on it.
It wasn't on packing.org. They passed the bill just this year and packing.org was gone. Read my post above and it shows what is required.

SC Non-Resident permits

A non-resident of South Carolina can qualify for a CCW permit in they own property in SC. Oops, sorry, now that I see the complete thread, I see the question has been answered.

Bruce A.
San Jose, CA
"A FREE PEOPLE OUGHT NOT ONLY TO BE ARMED AND DISCIPLINED, BUT SHOULD HAVE SUFFICIENT ARMS AND AMMUNITION TO MAINTAIN A STATUS OF INDEPENDENCE FROM ANY WHO MIGHT ATTEMPT TO ABUSE THEM, WHICH WOULD INCLUDE THEIR GOVERNMENT." ....George Washington

Last edited:
Well that's cool... I just noticed he or she was from Florida and wanted to point out we had reciprocity with those who have a Florida Resident permit.

Oh and since they are doing this research they might want to point out that SLED's web sight is usually not up to date with current laws....

I have a question for the original poster.... why do you want to know?

Because Lukem is the owner of the site and the HKWBIC (Head Knocker What Be In Charge) and is trying to be sure his site is accurate unlilke SLED who is is direct violation of the law with their website. :biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back