Does a non-resident concealed carry permit show up on a traffic stop?

surferbum

I have seen discussions about concealed carry permits showing up during a traffic stop for instance when your driver's license is run by a LEO. Does anyone know whether this happens if you have non-resident concealed carry permits? For example, I have a non-resident CCW for Nevada and if I get stopped in California (that where I'm from) does the NV non-resident CCW show up if the LEO runs my driver's license? A second question would be if I am driving in Nevada and get pulled over my a NV LEO, does my NV non-resident CCW license show up when a LEO runs my CA driver's license?

Last edited:
In SC I believe your CWP is tied to your drivers license. When I got my permit in the mail it had my drivers license photo on it.

I have seen discussions about concealed carry permits showing up during a traffic stop for instance when your driver's license is run by a LEO. Does anyone know whether this happens if you have out-of-state concealed carry permits? For example, I have a CCW for Nevada and if I get stopped in California (that where I'm from) does the NV CCW show up if the LEO runs my driver's license? A second question would be if I am driving in Nevada and get pulled over my a NV LEO, does my NV CCW license show up when a LEO runs my CA driver's license?

Depends on the state's system. Regardless, if you're in Michigan, you are required to disclose whether you are carrying during any encounter with law enforcement:

An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.

Many CPL instructors in Michigan will tell you to disclose your CPL status whether you are actually carrying at the time or not:

Question, where do you live CA or NV? And if you live in CA and have a CA driver’s license, how did you obtain a NV CCW? Also CA doesn’t honor your NV CCW permit, so why would you go there carrying?

I have seen discussions about concealed carry permits showing up during a traffic stop for instance when your driver's license is run by a LEO. Does anyone know whether this happens if you have out-of-state concealed carry permits? For example, I have a CCW for Nevada and if I get stopped in California (that where I'm from) does the NV CCW show up if the LEO runs my driver's license? A second question would be if I am driving in Nevada and get pulled over my a NV LEO, does my NV CCW license show up when a LEO runs my CA driver's license?

Some states link permits to drivers lic #'s, some to registrations some don't link the two at all. Whether a permit linked to either would shop up on another states system is anybody's guess. Even then, may show on some, maybe not others. Since it's not standardized there is really no way to know, and it really doesn't matter whether it will or not. Regardless of attachment to DL or REG, you need to be aware when out of state if your in a must inform state or not, aside from that who cares.

Yes. The information is, or at leastvshould be, entered into NCIC.

Yes....or SHOULD be? What does NCIC have to do with a state Drivers Licenses on traffic stops? While many PD's link there systems with NCIC, what does it have to do with the question of whether a permit shows or not? I see you only have 4 posts, so a word of advise if you don't know the answer....don't answer! While MOST people have the common sense to not take anything as legal advice some will anyways. Bad advise instead of correct answers can get somebody in a lot of trouble. Them being stupid enough to follow advise here as law is a separate discussion.

you guys need to learn the the worst info about gun laws, rules and regs are dispensed by instructors and cops. if you have a question you can and should research the laws yourself.

From what I've heard it varies from state to state. For instance, I live in Wisconsin and have been pulled over multiple times (Tags expired, need to pass emissions in my county, expensive repair....Now repaired!) and neither time did my CCW come up in conversation. I am not required to tell the LEO in WI I have a CCW so I did not ask if it comes up when they run my license or plate.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back