Does a concealed open carry holster exist??

corneileous

And by that, I mean a holster that doesn't go in between your waist and the waistband of your jeans but is concealed enough to the point to where it doesn't make you look like you're carrying like in a typical OWB holster, or am I just bound to continue using my pocket holster as my EDC? Which actually ain't all that bad I spose, even in the front pocket of my work jeans, it's rather comfortable. Drawing it from the pocket is harder to do though.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I oughtta add that the reason for the topic is just that I don't think this Cloak tuck 3.0 by alien gear is gonna work out. Either I need to lose a little bit of weight or go up a size in my jeans but, even a relatively small LC9s is just not gonna be comfortable in any position being stuffed down the inside of my jeans.

There are many close fitting and high ride OWB pancake type holsters in both kydex and leather that hide well under a loose untucked shirt. Raven concealment, the Blade Tech Eclipse, Desantis Speed Scabbard (leather) are just a few options. Many carry concealed OWB.
For IWB it is necessary to wear pants one size larger.

There are many close fitting and high ride OWB pancake type holsters in both kydex and leather that hide well under a loose untucked shirt. Raven concealment, the Blade Tech Eclipse, Desantis Speed Scabbard (leather) are just a few options. Many carry concealed OWB.
Thanks for th recommendations, I'll check those out.

I'm not ready to give up on the alien gear just yet, I'm gonna try a few more belt clip location figurations before I toss in the towel on it. I still have a little over two weeks left of the four week trial period.

For IWB it is necessary to wear pants one size larger.

Yeah I know, since I drive a truck for a living, my work jeans are already one size bigger than my dress jeans.

Most people wearing IWB holsters carry them with pants that are one size up. The IWB holster adds 1-2 inches of waist size, so it would be reasonable to wear pants with 1-2 inches more in waist.

There are many OWB holsters that can be used for concealed carry. They need to ride high and close to the body. Some OWB holsters have passive retention (like your typical pancake kydex holsters), some have active retention (like Safariland ALS and Link Removed). There are also leather OWB holsters.

I would stay away from the SneakyPete for a number of reasons, including that it is difficult to use in an actual fight and that it has an inherent danger of drawing the firearm with the finger in the trigger guard.

There are many OWB holsters that can be used for concealed carry. They need to ride high and close to the body. Some OWB holsters have passive retention (like your typical pancake kydex holsters), some have active retention (like Safariland ALS and Link Removed). There are also leather OWB holsters.
Those are some nice choices, they just don't look like they'd be all that concealable unless it was winter time and a long jacket or coat was used to cover it up. I dunno, it just doesn't look like a regular ole tshirt would stop against printing.
I would stay away from the SneakyPete for a number of reasons, including that it is difficult to use in an actual fight and that it has an inherent danger of drawing the firearm with the finger in the trigger guard.
Yeah, I kinda wondered about that too. That, and it sure does look awful gawdy...lol. At least that one though, looks better than the one out there that makes it look a cell phone case on an iPad-sized phone...lol.

But to everybody, I think I'm gonna give the alien gear another week or two after I think I found that by moving the belt clips all the way to the top puts more of the holster deeper down in my jeans and keeps the hand grip more off my gut...lol. Seems like it as well doesn't make my jeans as tight because now the top of the kydex is below the waistband rather than right directly behind it.

Thanks for all the replies though.

Not to mention that by having the whole holster deeper down, the grip doesn't print through my shirt as much, either.

Those are some nice choices, they just don't look like they'd be all that concealable unless it was winter time and a long jacket or coat was used to cover it up. I dunno, it just doesn't look like a regular ole tshirt would stop against printing.

Go to a gun shop with your unloaded gun and try them out. Pancake kydex holsters and the BlackHawk Serpa are sold pretty much everywhere.

But to everybody, I think I'm gonna give the alien gear another week or two after I think I found that by moving the belt clips all the way to the top puts more of the holster deeper down in my jeans and keeps the hand grip more off my gut...lol. Seems like it as well doesn't make my jeans as tight because now the top of the kydex is below the waistband rather than right directly behind it.

Thanks for all the replies though.

Move the gun around on the belt to improve concealment (3:30 4 vs 4:30 vs 5 o'clock). In some positions, the grip sticks out, in some other position not so much. Also, wear your belt and the gun high, such that the gun is above your waist line (above your hips). Realize that your grip needs to be high above the belt, such that you can get a good high grip on the firearm.

Link Removed

Go to a gun shop with your unloaded gun and try them out. Pancake kydex holsters and the BlackHawk Serpa are sold pretty much everywhere.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to try some out.

Move the gun around on the belt to improve concealment (3:30 4 vs 4:30 vs 5 o'clock). In some positions, the grip sticks out, in some other position not so much.
Bein that I'm in a seated position all day long, the 3 o'clock position seems to be the most comfortable, much more even with the whole holster deeper down from the stock location of the belt clips. Stock location uses the middle holes on each side, BTW. If I wear it in the 4:30 position like Alien Gear recommends, the gun presses quite uncomfortably in my back due to it being pushed by the seatback.

Also, wear your belt and the gun high, such that the gun is above your waist line (above your hips). Realize that your grip needs to be high above the belt, such that you can get a good high grip on the firearm.

Link Removed
What brand holster is that in the picture?

Even with the clips all the way down, mine doesn't ride even that high.

I see what your getting at about having the gun high enough to get a good grip on it but man, having it ride that high doin what I do, that was when it was the most uncomfortable at that height in any position on the clock. At the 4:30 position, it really pressed in my back when I leaned back in the seat and having it that high in the 3 o'clock position, the top of the gun and the top of the holster really dug into my hip if I ever leaned the slightest bit to the right side....

Instead of trying to take a picture behind me, I'm using a sheet of paper to show where the holster rides in relation to the top of the waistband with the clips all the way to the top.
595b19946b9e433731994c839f9b5e89.jpg

Your holster sits way too low. The top of the holster should be above the belt line and above the hip bone. Use this as a guide line: The gun needs to sit high enough, such that you can get a full grip on the gun, including indexing your trigger finger along the holster where the slide is and wrapping the other three fingers around the grip, with the middle finger against the trigger guard. Like in this picture:

Link Removed

All pictures were from Alien Gear Holsters | Practice Drawing Your Concealed Carry Weapon - 5 Reasons Why You Should

I get it and fully understand why it needs to ride that high but like I said, wearing it that high makes it so uncomfortable that I might as well just send the holster back for a refund and just keep it in my pocket holster whether I'm in my truck or POV.

I thought about something like this...
76a3f13e0618654fd98f2a0380181251.jpg

Or this....
092ec8a480b0a66357d190bb204159e5.jpg

Or even this....
d70c4e4956202e99f61f4fd0cdca1f5a.jpg

And maybe even something like this...
32740de50a8d7b268c4bdfa22edd58d1.jpg

....for the big truck but, either one of those four holsters pictured might make for an interesting traffic stop since the gun will be a lot more accessible in a holster like those in those locations as opposed to in a pocket or even in an ISW holster like I got.

On the car carry thing, read these threads:

Mounted handgun in vehicle
How do you carry in your car?
Video: Drawing a Handgun in a Vehicle

Pocket holster carry won't work while sitting. Try to draw your firearm from a pocket holster while sitting in a chair.

As for the back issue, move the gun to 4, 3:30, or even 3 o'clock. Also, play around with the cant (angle of the gun) by using different holes for the front and the back clip. A 15 degree forward cant (also known as FBI cant) is often used and often builtin with the holster. Sometimes, carrying the gun straight without cant is better. I carry without cant. The pictures I posted are with the typical 15 degree forward cant.

I am re-posting this video directly in this thread for your information. I carry and draw my firearm like this guy from a IWB holster at the 4:30 position. The only difference, when I sit down in the car, I already put my shirt between the gun and my body. Since the rest of the shirt, the seat and the center console is still obstructing the view to see the firearm, it is still conceated. I generally don't like vehicle-mounted holsters, as described in the threads above.

PS: Yes, I have shot from a seated position inside a car during a training class.

Little bit of good info until the pissing match began.

Pocket holster carry won't work while sitting. Try to draw your firearm from a pocket holster while sitting in a chair.
True, but my cargo shorts that I primarily wear with my pocket holster is more accessible than you think. Maybe it's not the best way or even the preferred way but I don't have much choice.

As for the back issue, move the gun to 4, 3:30, or even 3 o'clock. Also, play around with the cant (angle of the gun) by using different holes for the front and the back clip. A 15 degree forward cant (also known as FBI cant) is often used and often builtin with the holster. Sometimes, carrying the gun straight without cant is better. I carry without cant. The pictures I posted are with the typical 15 degree forward cant.
Already tried most of that. I'll play with it some more this weekend but so far where I have it now is the most bearable. I don't wanna make new mounting holes if that would been work because if I do that I just forfeited any would-be cahance of returning it if it don't work out.

I may just have to take my chances and practice with it being set where it is.

I do like the idea of putting my shirt between me and the gun when I'm driving. I never thought of that. I'll just have to always remember to put the shirt tail back over it whenever I get out...lol.

Or I guess if it comes down to buying bigger waist size shorts and dress jeans to use the alien gear more, that may have to be an option I'll have to take.

Not to be an ass.....but how can an open carry holster be concealed? It's called open carry for a reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Not to be an ass.....but how can an open carry holster be concealed? It's called open carry for a reason.

Maybe not an open carry holster in the traditional style but they do make outside the waistband holsters that are considered concealable. I just don't see how they do the job at all unless a fairly long jacket was worn over it to cover it up.

Maybe not an open carry holster in the traditional style but they do make outside the waistband holsters that are considered concealable. I just don't see how they do the job at all unless a fairly long jacket was worn over it to cover it up.

I know what you meant. Just goofing with the way the title of the thread was worded.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back