Do you think your Information should be Public record?

S&WM&P40

Ok here is a good one for you guys to dig into. Do you think your Information should be Public record because you have a Concealed carry permit? Talking about a data base like they have for sex offender's that has, your name,address and other information. Here is a video some may have seen.

YouTube - CNN Piece on VCDL and Roanoke Times Exposing VA CHP Data

this news paper is saying that Concealed weapon permits are public record and there should be a data base that people can search. They say the PUBLIC has a right to know about ever person with a Concealed weapons permit. What do y'all think? I say HELL NO. I do not need people knowing i have a permit and my address and so on. Only people that need to know is the state/police when they run a search on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Texas John Q. Public can not get this info. Thank the Lord and thank our State Reps.

Are you kidding me???!?!?!? Are we criminals for exorcising our 2A right? PLEASE! Give me a break! Why should people know I have a firearm and my address? So someone who doesn't like the fact that I own them call and say "He pointed a gun at me". I have seen that happen and BAM automatic arrest and your permit is revoked. This really made me sick. This country is getting out of control!

Absolutely not....

Absolutely not,
Heck, I was even worried about joining this site because it is so public. The advantage of Stealth will be taken away. Broadcasting there are guns here is an open invitation for home robberies. I have a 34 year old handicapped daughter here and I know that she can not defend herself if some BG wants into our house. Her only prayer would be to get to the phone and hope that the LE can get out here in a timely manor.
I truly believe that the newspaper that published those lists are irresponsible and looking to save their circulation numbers. They are the BG in this case...

RHB

Yes, but the sad fact of the matter is. That this information is out there for any one who wants it in some states. Other states keep that under lock and key. We need to push to get laws set up to keep this information away from John Q. I would check your loca/l state laws and make a few calls. For all you know your state is one of them that lets John Q look at your information.:mad::mad::mad:

this is B.S. this will just become a way for criminals to figure out which houses to rob since someone with a concealed carry permit has at least one gun probably more. it is none of my neighbors business if i have a concealed carry permit. i can see no practical use for this database other than a road map for criminals to free guns.

When I first got my FL CWL, the info was "public record" and I got a bunch of marketing stuff from various companies selling "mall ninja" badges and other sub-standard CC gear.

I believe that they have since passed laws that make this info "private". I haven't received any marketing junk mail in the last couple of years.

gf

Databases for criminal actions are one thing, after all a criminal has demonstrated they don't care about the rights of others. None should be maintained for law abiding citizens, this includes CCW's. This isn't always the case though, drivers licenses, marriage licenses, even phone numbers and addresses are maintained in a database. Is this right? Many will say it's fine because they have nothing to hide, others will say it's wrong because it invades a right to privacy. Who is correct?

Databases for criminal actions are one thing, after all a criminal has demonstrated they don't care about the rights of others. None should be maintained for law abiding citizens, this includes CCW's. This isn't always the case though, drivers licenses, marriage licenses, even phone numbers and addresses are maintained in a database. Is this right? Many will say it's fine because they have nothing to hide, others will say it's wrong because it invades a right to privacy. Who is correct?

Yes and no. While my DL may have my home address on it ( that's bad enough). If any one got that information from the DMV they would still have no way of telling if I'm a armed home owner. With a Concealed weapons data base or even just letting John Q have that information it's telling them. My address, that I'm armed with one or more guns and so on. This is not just people in my town being able to get this information your talking about any one in the state or even in the USA. While the data base may not as of yet be made ( John Q can still get your Concealed weapon information if they know how).

This post sent me into " O CR#P MODE ". LOL, The first thing that I did was close USA Carry and started searching the net for NM concealed carry. No list, no names, so I made a couple of phone calls. I went back into I'm OK, your OK mode, went back into USA Carry to post NM is not putting out the list. I read the post about Google, back into " Well Cr#p mode". Closed USA Carry, pulled up Google, put in RDW, full name, nick name, common name and came up with nothing. I found a couple of my friends in google, which is kind of disturbing since we live in backwater USA, and there is really no reason for them to come up. So... to make a long story short, New Mexico will not release the list unless it is on a court order.

Yes they may not put a list out. but did you find out how to go about getting the information? Can john Q get it? Just because NM says They are not going to put out a list. does not mean that your Information is still public record.

Subjecting law abiding citizens who happen to be packing heat to this kind of treatment is treating them the same way that convicted sex offenders are treated. This is WRONG!

Subjecting law abiding citizens who happen to be packing heat to this kind of treatment is treating them the same way that convicted sex offenders are treated. This is WRONG!

What does that mean? You think it's wrong to have a data base for Sex offenders?

Of course not. It would be of no benefit for the public to have access to this. It could provide criminals with locations to rob.

Of course not. It would be of no benefit for the public to have access to this. It could provide criminals with locations to rob.
Yes that's my point we have done nothing wrong. We have followed the rules done the paper work and played the game. But yet still they feel the need to treat us like the rest of the scum. I think a data base for sex offenders is a great tool and is a must have. They have already proofed they can not be trusted. Not only that but they attack and pray on people who are tool small to fight back. What was our crime? Other then following the law and handing over all OUR INFORMATION to them so we could get a permit? Whats the threat to the public? It seems like as is always the case if someone cry's for mommy then the rest of our rights no longer matter. Then you have cops over stepping the law and there jobs by acting. Such was the case with the PA soccer mom who had her permit pulled for doing nothing more then open carrying ( well with in the law). Some people cried and her permit was pulled so he could keep his job.

Last edited:
Yes and no. While my DL may have my home address on it ( that's bad enough). If any one got that information from the DMV they would still have no way of telling if I'm a armed home owner. With a Concealed weapons data base or even just letting John Q have that information it's telling them. My address, that I'm armed with one or more guns and so on. This is not just people in my town being able to get this information your talking about any one in the state or even in the USA. While the data base may not as of yet be made ( John Q can still get your Concealed weapon information if they know how).

You may be surprised what a search on the following could bring up. True some may cost $15 - $50 and there are many more:

Link Removed

backgroundchecks.com - Instant background checks, public records, employee online background check, criminal record investigation screening &amp search

Link Removed

FL use to let people search this information but as of 2006 they changed the laws.

Concealed Weapons Public Records Request

On July 1, 2006, a new law went into effect that makes personal identifying information pertaining to a Concealed Weapon or Firearm license confidential and exempt from Section 119.07(1), Florida Statutes and Section 24(a), Article 1 of the State Constitution.

Exceptions to this exemption are:

* With the express written consent of the applicant or licensee or his/her legally authorized representative.
* By court order upon a showing of good cause.
* Upon request by a law enforcement agency in connection with the performance of lawful duties.

If one or more of these exceptions applies to you, please send your request and supporting documentation to Marsha Stroud, Public Records Liaison, via facsimile (850) 245-5505 or by US Mail [P O Box 6687; Tallahassee, FL 32314-6687] and your request will be reviewed and responded to accordingly.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back