Do you pick up your spent casings?

Do you pick up your spent casings?

• Total voters

tricolordad

Banned
When hunting, do you pick up your spent casings?

I never leave em. Animals chew on them. Would you let your kid put a spent 12 ga shell in his/her mouth? Bleh

If I can't find one and I've got a blood trail, I put up some blue painters tape around the trunk of the nearest tree with a gap pointing to where I was standing.

If we don't pick that crap up, pretty soon all the woods will be full of rusting metal cartridges and the animals will die out or move on.

It's hard to reload them if you leave them out in the bush.
Of course, it's easier to keep track of your brass with a bolt gun than a semi-auto.

If I'm shooting a center-fire rifle, yeah... I'll try to pick up whatever brass I shoot, but I'm not going to spend 20 minutes looking for it in the leaves though. If it's dove hunting, where I'm shucking out dozens of shells... yeah, I pick all of those up.

I do pick them up, can't reload what you leave on the ground. I'll even pick up other peoples shells that are left around, if I don't load for the round, I probably know someone that does. No point in being wasteful.

Yup, always have. I was raised to police my brass. I was doing it long before I started reloading. If you left the house with X many loaded rounds, you came back with X many rounds whether they were fired or not.

The only thing I don't pick up on a regular basis is .22's (other than a random few to check firing pin strikes). If I'm on a range shooting .22's and there's a broom and dustpan (indoor) or a shovel (outdoor) handy, I'll throw them away or in a recycling bucket if it's handy. If you want to keep a range open, you ought to leave it looking better than you found it.

One of these days, I'll have a Boone and Crockett buck wander in front of me. I've always wanted to do a European style mount with the antlers and mount the spent case that took the deer just below it. Below that will be a small brass plaque with the date, range and other pertinent information on it. I'm not big on putting deer heads on the wall. I think the antler only mount would look better. I tend to meat hunt because I actually like venison. If it's got antlers showing above the hairline, it's fair game- unless it's doe days, then it better have spots if it wants to live.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back