Do you inform the owner of a military surplus store that you are carrying?

Do you inform the owner of a military surplus store that you are carrying?

• Yes, I inform the owner for "military surplus officer safety".

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I show my CCW Badge when entering the store

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No, Concealed means concealed.

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Other, please explain below.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

G50AE

Here's a good question for the military and veteran's forum. When shopping at a military surplus store, do you inform the owner that you are carrying? This would seem to be a "military surplus officer safety" issue, IMHO.

golddigger14s

SFC At Fort Lewis, WA
Why would you inform the owner of ANY business that you are carrying? Why would you inform a cop if you are pulled over for speeding (unless your state requires it)? It has nothing to do with the business being conducted. The only time I would announce I have a weapon is if I'm trying to get an accessory for it, and it will already be unloaded and in a carrying case. My CC will remain on my body and unmentioned.

G50AE

The only time I would announce I have a weapon is if I'm trying to get an accessory for it, and it will already be unloaded and in a carrying case. My CCW Badge will remain on my body and unmentioned.
But what if you are buying one of those neck chain CCW Badge holder thingies?

Cyr

I never have, and I doubt that I ever will inform any store owner of the fact that I am armed. In fact, after an unpleasant experience I once had I don't inform anyone of anything that has to do with myself and my EDC.

There was this time when I ended up in an ambulance with a nice German pistol on my hip. I was lapsing in and out of consciousness; and, during one of my more lucid moments, I told the lone female EMT onboard, “Nurse, I think you should know that I’m carrying a gun.

She said, “What?” by way of reply; and I told her again. She promptly patted me down, completely missed the pistol, and said, “Sir!” “Sir, you don’t have a gun on you; you’re hallucinating, OK!” “Try to relax, and get some rest!

So, I reached behind my back, took out the pistol, and held it out to her with the frame lying across the open flat of my hand. Then I said, “This is what I’m talking about; would you like to take possession of it?

To my complete surprise she started screaming into the radio, “My God, my God, he’s got a gun in my ambulance!” “What do I do; what do I do?” I put the pistol away, hoped that I was, in fact, hallucinating, and promptly passed out again.

When I came to she was all hunkered down over in a corner of the ambulance, looking quite agitated. When we got to the hospital one of the town detectives (a handsome older man whom I, sort of, knew) was standing there waiting for us. He asked me where the pistol was; I told him; and he took possession of the piece.

He looked at me, then at the gun, whistled, and said, “Wow, nice gun; it’s an old one; isn’t it!” “I’ve actually been looking for one of these for a long time, now!” (I told him it wasn't for sale!)

He took the pistol, and the two extra magazines I was carrying; and, as he walked along beside the gurney he said to me, “Don’t worry about anything except getting better; I promise you we’ll take very good care of this beautiful gun of yours until you come down to the Security Office to take it home—OK!

When I stopped at the Security Office on my way out of the hospital, they had my gun and magazines locked away inside of a large safe. Each piece was separately wrapped in a paper towel and stored, together, inside of a large paper shopping bag. The cartridges had also been removed, and placed inside of a clear plastic sandwich bag.

Weeks later when I ran into that detective, again, at a local gun club, I thanked him for taking such good care of my gun. He laughed and asked me if I’d heard the fuss that EMT nurse had made when she found out I was carrying? I told him that I’d heard some of it; and he said it was a good thing I’d passed out for the rest of the show!

That dumb broad had made so much noise over the ambulance radio, and her histrionics were so irrational, that the town had to decide between sending him over to the hospital to meet the ambulance, or calling out SWAT!

The detective had been at the station and heard the call when it came in. He recognized my name; and told the people at the hospital (where he apparently held a part time security job) to calm down. He said he’d take the call, and meet the ambulance at the ER door; and, happily for me, he did exactly that.

One thing, more, I’ll never forget is the way that white-haired detective cleared my pistol after he took possession of it: He pointed the muzzle in a safe direction, quickly racked the slide, and caught the ejecting cartridge, perfectly, out of the air!

(I had to wonder how many times he’d practiced that move?) ;)

G50AE

One thing, more, I’ll never forget is the way that white-haired detective cleared my pistol after he took possession of it: He pointed the muzzle in a safe direction, quickly racked the slide, and caught the ejecting cartridge, perfectly, out of the air!

(I had to wonder how many times he’d practiced that move?) ;)
It's more "tactical" to do that with an Austrian made pistol, IMHO.

Cyr

I did not necessarily say anyone was being put in danger. So cool your jets a little. There are people on this forum who advocate informing an officer that you are carrying for "officer safety reasons".
Maybe, but I am—most definitely—not one of them! (And I am a member of a prominent law enforcement family.) If this topic comes up during an interview, a simple request to either see the permit, or a radio call to dispatch to obtain the subject's 'particulars' should be sufficient.

Frankly I am, or would be, much more concerned about what a subject is doing with his hands than anything else. (Hands that tend to hover around the waist—especially protecting a subject's right side which armed individuals always seem to prefer to 'blade' away from an interviewing officer's convenient grasp—or hands that stay too close to (in particular) a right hand pocket always make me nervous.

At my present age, I've witnessed so much concealment-type body language that I can usually tell with better than 80 or 90% accuracy when someone is armed. To my eyes, 'body blading' is a dead giveaway! So is any act of either protecting the right hand, or trying to move the right hand in a secretive manner. (Rings every alarm bell in my head!)

Anyway, someone once told me that: "Monkeys always work evil with their hands," and I have never forgotten the lesson!

G50AE

I just love the depth of discussion that happens on USA Carry. And I am always glad to add my input. Now can you guys do me a favor and vote in this thread's poll question?

I just love the depth of discussion that happens on USA Carry. And I am always glad to add my input. Now can you guys do me a favor and vote in this thread's poll question?
Now go answer my poll about the weed store.

I suspect Arkie will be moving to greener pastures

So, I spent the entire afternoon burning up lots and lots of 9mm ammo in my new G-19; and decided to pick up some more at the Caniglia's Army Navy Store on the way home.

There were 3 young girls behind the cash registers. The small brunette on the end looked, so help me, all beat up. While we were waiting to checkout, I'm standing there imagining what might have happened to her when I hear her say to the young fellow in front of us, 'I'm pretty bruised up and black 'n blue - especially on my arms and chest - but, I did get the gun away from him and put it underneath the counter.'

WTH! It seems this not too large little lady had recently been held up at gunpoint. I'll never know what she was thinking; but, she dove for the robber's gun and took a ferocious beating from his free fist while they struggled over the gun.

Personally, I think she was nutz. The store's money isn't worth such a risk; but unlike, either, Wal-Mart or 7-11, at least, she got to keep her job! I didn't get the whole story; but, apparently a group of store employees wrestled the guy to the ground and held him there until the police arrived.

We were in a hurry; and I (almost) walked into the place while OC'ing. (Because I OC at the range all the time.) Sure glad I didn't though. From what I understand the guys behind the counter in the gun department get real nervous whenever they see someone who's carrying; AND, now, I know the reason, 'Why'!

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apextochina