Do you change positions of your holster?

CDR_Glock

Glock 23
Do you change holster positions depending upon where you are? What position is the best for retention in a melée (Esp for level 1 holsters)?

I never change positions of my holster, on my hip with my trigger lined up on my pants leg seam. If i need to reach for my weapon, i want it to be where my muscle memory/habit expect it to be, and my tactical response aren't altered.

I Draw my weapon straight up to my arm pit, ready... shoot, or extending the arm to a more aimed position. That's how i train, that's how i go about my day ready to react.

Except foe special occasions where clothing restrictions may occur, i may go to my ankle holster.

In a melee? What in the world are you getting yourself into? You run away from melee. Reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily injury is the only reason to be CC and, IMO, melee does not fit into this at all.

In a melee? What in the world are you getting yourself into? You run away from melee. Reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily injury is the only reason to be CC and, IMO, melee does not fit into this at all.

I am not getting into fights. I am just thinking about a theoretical event where a person gets shoved against the ground or thrown against the wall. Would a gun fall out of a level 1 holster? I only ask questions about theoretical situations. I am 40, and have stayed safe without a gun for a very long time.

I am not getting into fights. I am just thinking about a theoretical event where a person gets shoved against the ground or thrown against the wall. Would a gun fall out of a level 1 holster? I only ask questions about theoretical situations. I am 40, and have stayed safe without a gun for a very long time.

For the sake of argument, in a melee... if your carrying Conceal. there's a good chance your weapon is not visible, so concealment is more important than position. Stay out of Melees.

Hey CDR: Sorry for sounding like I was in the mood for a fight and that you took my comments in that vein--never meant it as a demeaning reply to your intial comments. I consider my first priority to be using my smartness and situational awareness to stay out of any kind of trouble in the first place, my second priority to avoid in any way possible any sort of confrontation of any kind with anyone, anyplace, any time, and my third priority is to know how to use my firearm effectively to protect myself and my family from the reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily injury should priorities 1 and 2 fail. When I saw the word "melee", it just struck me as the wrong sense of priorities. Again, I apologize for your need to respond to my comments.

No offense taken. I am just foreseeing theoretical scenarios to be prepared.

I would rather look to experience and lessons learned, rather than repeat history and fail as my predecessors did.

I am thinking about swapping my Tauris 111 9MM for a .380 because it is smaller in size. would that be a good move?

Do you change holster positions depending upon where you are? What position is the best for retention in a melée (Esp for level 1 holsters)?

Nope.

I figure it this way. If you need to move your holster to improve your odds of retaining your firearm, then you were carrying it in the wrong place to begin with.

As for a 'melee', I haven't been in a violent confrontation with my fellow man since parachute pants were in vogue and plan to keep it that way. I doubt if I'm gonna get into a donnybrook any time soon.

natelew,
It depends. Can you shoot the .380 better (meaning more accurately)?

Tote as much gun as you can:
a.) HIDE well (it's called 'concealed carry' for a reason)
b.) Shoot well (if you can't hit what you are aiming at, you are just making noise and throwing rounds down range that have to come to rest someplace- and remember, YOU WILL BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR WHERE THEY LAND!)

I'd love to carry a Dan Wesson wheelgun with an 8" full under lug barrel because it is the most accurate gun I own but I can't hide the thing. It will reach 100-150 yards all day if the shooter does their part. I can hide my little 2 shot .32 derringer nearly anywhere but if the target far enough away not to get powder burns from the shot, it's pretty safe. That's why everything I carry is someplace in between those 2 extremes.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back