Do you carry at the range? Might want to consider it.....

No challenge Palmach, it just that you started your post with "still issues in Florida".

My feeling is the issues are with the gun ranges. I have a real anamosity over the ranges attitude that although 2A rights should be protected which also protects their business that THEY themselves should decide they are above the law.

There is zero legitimate reason that I can think of for gun ranges to require people not to carry. I can understand rules that say 'NO HANDLING OR FIRE OF YOUR CARRY WEAPON' and or have a separate unload / load area for carry weapons, so they can say that they do not have people waving loaded weapons around, but ALL WEAPONS MUST BE UNLOADED INCLUDING CCW is a no carry banner that violates the laws that we and supposedly they have fought so hard to put in place (I include gun shows in this group by the way). If they beleive that CCW is not trained well enough to properly handle their weapons in the shop of the instructors (that is where most of us took our course) then what does that say to the outside world.

If I say OK, the gun range has a right to restrict me, then I also have to say so does Disney, Walmart, Home Depot or any other business, and THAT is what the whole battle is about.

As I said, I understand your points fully.

What I meant by issues is the fact that there has been some incidents at one particular range in the Central Florida area where shooters have been followed home by the BG's. These people have left the range, and either packed their guns away or did not reload when leaving. They have been robbed at their homes of their guns.

The point I was getting across was about being aware. Gun owners, specifically those who are licensed to carry should always operate in the Yellow Zone. I just see too many people with no training that carry and are no better than the unarmed White Zone Sheep.

I understand that there are armed folks at the range, but honestly do you really want to depend on them to protect you? I work at an indoor range, and here in Hawaii CC is not legal for your ordinary citizen, so CC on the range is not an issue. I would not have a problem if a legal citizen was carrying on the range. I would prefer to have more folks working to stop the threat than the minimal employees who get paid less that $10 an hour, some of whom I see may actually "run and hide" if anything serious happened.

Just my $.02.

gf

If you notice my previous post, I mentioned well trained in relation to the guys who work at the range that I shoot at. So, yes. Take my word that I do not place my life in others hands that I do not trust. If I had any doubt that the guys there were unable to protect me I would not be shooting there.

No "runners or hiders" where I go.

When on the line I am protected by myself and the other that I am shooting with. As soon as I walk out the door I am fully loaded and able to protect myself.

The range I use is in a pretty good area, but I still try to keep a gun loaded and ready at all times, often the kel-tec in my pocket. Also, I now make it a point to make sure that I don't use all my ammo at the range, going home with none. What could be more embarrassing than getting jacked on the way home from the range with multiple firearms and no ammo??

For my carry weapon, I have 3 magazines. One has my carry ammunition (Federal Hydra shoks). The other two have my range ammo, just plain jane winchester white box 9mm.

When I get to the range, I drop my carry mag out of the weapon and clear the chambered round and leave it in the vehicle. Go do my shooting, reload my range mags (they're always loaded too). Then when I leave I just have to swap back to my carry ammo.

I usually go with either my wife or a few friends, so we watch out for each other. It's a really informal set up at a fish & wildlife area, no staff, no charge sort of thing.

Just a thought, If you've never fired or practiced with it, then how do you know you can defend yourself or others with it? Personally I've never really thought about it at the range because I'm usually the only one there, so thank you for posting the article. About all I did was check to see if someone else pulled into the parking lot.
Missed your comment, RL.
  • I rotate what I carry out of my collection.
  • I have several firearms that are the same or substantially similar; S&W 908 and a pair of 3913s (basically the same pistol if you don't know your 3rd gen S&W pistols). I also have a pair of S&W CS40s.
  • NV has to qualify with every specific make model and caliber of semi-auto that's on your CFP. If I am not good enough with it to qualify I risk a category C felony in Nevada. It's also quite expensive for me to renew my NV CFP as I put at least six semi-autos (only a fraction of my semi-auto collection) and a revolver if the instructor charges a per firearm qualification fee.
  • Everything I routinely carry is on my NV CFP has had at least 500 rounds through it since it was added to my collection.

Last edited:
Yes I do carry at the range a concealed gun that I do not pull out and fire.......... and I do it just for this purpose because I don't trust anyone with my life except myself.

Not sure but I ask out of curiosity, in CA, I had no CCW permit, my pistol went 2 a range in a locked box, ammo seperate, lock 'n load on your lane, go home clean & legal. In states with good CC laws has anyone walked into a range with a loaded concealed carry weapon say in a out of sight holster and been hassled for bringing a loaded weapon into the door B 4 checking in & paying? I've heard yes and no on that from M8's in different states. Even heard of signs like 'No loaded weapons in this area' or 'All weapons must be cleared before you exit the lane'. Doesn't packing a CCW go against that facility's internal or state rules/laws or is it no big in your a/o?

Canis-Lupus

Not sure but I ask out of curiosity, in CA, I had no CCW permit, my pistol went 2 a range in a locked box, ammo seperate, lock 'n load on your lane, go home clean & legal. In states with good CC laws has anyone walked into a range with a loaded concealed carry weapon say in a out of sight holster and been hassled for bringing a loaded weapon into the door B 4 checking in & paying? I've heard yes and no on that from M8's in different states. Even heard of signs like 'No loaded weapons in this area' or 'All weapons must be cleared before you exit the lane'. Doesn't packing a CCW go against that facility's internal or state rules/laws or is it no big in your a/o?

Canis-Lupus

Went shooting at Bass Pro Shop in Las Vegas, NV. I kept one G27 concealed, shot the other G27 and G23. Needed to have them cased and cleared before leaving the range. They didn't say anything about the G27 on my person because I didn't mention anyting and it was well concealed. :biggrin:

gf

Canis,
If you are carrying concealed and get scolded for having a loaded weapon where you shouldn't, were you really carrying concealed?

I swap around my weapons, between the safe, the truck, and on my person. When I go to the range, the truck gun and the carry gun won't be seen unless it's in a situation that will earn a "Thank you" from the range owner. Those two guns stay loaded until I rotate them to the safe.

Outa site ='s IMHO none of anyone's beeswax is a good mindset , what no one sees is not visible @ all, 'mum' is the word checking-in and I don't think I'd shoot at any range that slaps a babysitter :no: on me watching my every move once the lane is clear, I'm on it and sending hot lead down-range.
Thanks 4 the feed-back.

Canis-Lupus

I still carry concealed at the range. if I want to shoot my ccw then I conceal another pistol that I won't be shooting that day. I am glad to have people watching over the range and all... but I can't rely on anyone to protect me. I Have to rely on myself for that.

Responsible and Legal vs. Practical

Not all ranges are the same, obviously. Indoors, where you stay at your station or move only between your station and a table behind you, is not the same as walking 200 yards downrange to change targets at an outdoor rifle range. So your strategies should not be the same either. It also seems to me that outdoors and all by yourself, you might act with more caution about theft (or worse) than when 2 of your pals are at the range with you. I always carry when i'm not at work - work for Federal Govt in a federal bldg in the next state over and am not LEO - but just about always otherwise. That includes range time, for all the reasons everyone has already listed.

Carrying a BUG or keeping your primary concealed at the range are both viable strategies as long as it is legal. At the ranges i frequent, either is permitted. But we should be careful here.

As CCW holders, we all have extra responsibility to know and obey the law. We have chosen to be armed citizens, to protect ourselves and our families,and yes maybe strangers too if need be. So, to advocate ignoring the NO GUNS signs and carry anyway is irresponsible - i say that based on my own state (CT) where property owners have the legal authority to post a sign and ban your guns from their premises. It is a criminal act to knowingly violate those property owner's posted signs (even if you stopped a BG from killing the owner with a well placed shot of your own, he could still have you arrested). If that doesn't apply in Florida, then keep on keepin' on.

But where it does apply, there is a simple answer - don't carry there, or don't go there. I have been looking for three years, and so far i haven't seen a single sign anywhere in my state or elsewhere, posting a NO GUNS policy - except Federal facilities, etc. - the usual off-limits places. But if i do, i surely will not do business with that company. None of us should. Maybe the sign will come down if they have no business, or have a close call and come to their senses. If i ever find one, i plan to leave them a note as to why i am boycotting.

Yes.. I do carry at the range. If in plain clothes it's a concealed Glock 27 IWB holster ready to go. The range I typically visit is an indoor range (well ventilated) and the targets are on a rail system so you do not have to go beyond the firing line to retrieve or view your targets. Oh and it is frequented by other LEO's. Then there is the Sheriff's academy range staffed by armed range officers/instructors who happen to be deputies. They do require all firearms to be unloaded with the slide locked open until ready to shoot. When we go there in July for our annual qualification, we have to unload in the parking lot and carry our firearms with slide locked open in our duty holsters. We have to carry this way until we are on the range and ready to begin shooting. Then there is the FOP range in Pleasant Grove. IT is frequented by Pleasant Grove Police officers.... and I'll tell you what, you wouldn't want to be the BG in a gun fight with one of those officers!! They are VERY good!!! I saw a few of their officers practicing there while visiting one day and all I could say was "Holy Crap"!!! Anyway, the ranges in my neck of the woods seem to be safe. Although I never would let myself become complacent around multiple shooters.

I carry to and from the range. I have this thing about carrying several firearms and ammo and having no way to prevent a situation because everything is unloaded. When I get to my shooting lane, I swap out the mag and eject the round in the barrel and put that in my pocket. When it is time to leave, both get re-inserted into the carry piece.

Two weeks ago a guy shot himself at the local outdoor range. His Kel-Tec .32 jammed. He pointed the barrel towards his belly to clear it and it fired. He survived and hopefully learned a lesson.

The range I go to is in a remote area within the National Forest and "run" by the park service. I carry my S&W .44 as a side arm when I'm there--in additiona to whatever I'm shooting. I carry this peace of mind because who knows what kinds of critters my be roaming the woods and the fact that the other people at the range ain't necessarily nice guys.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back