Do we need to get the gun?

FN1910

Almost 40 years ago my cousin and I were at our house alone. I was probably about 12 at the time and he was probably 14. We were in the back of the house when we heard the front door open and we went to see who it was. The front door stood open and no one was there. We called out and there was no answer so living out in the country we started to get a little nervous about what was going on. We stood there discussing what to do for a few seconds and I said "Should we get the gun"? My Father kept a .38 handy and I knew where it was. That was when my Mother stepped out from behind the door laughing. She said that once she heard us talking about the gun she decided that the joke was over and she better make her appearance.

I don't post this story for any thing other than I thought of it as I started reading this board today. You see my Mother died Saturday and I am remembering all of the little stories about her. Spend time with your family and the amount of time that you have is limited and memories will be all that is left.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. I lost mine in 1990 at the ripe old age of 57. I have a lot of those little memories. One I can recall is when I was around 11 years old. I had found a small green snake in the garden. I wrapped it around my hand and took it to show to my mother. She thought it was fake until the snake's tongue shot out. Oh my lordy! That is the loudest I ever heard my mother scream! The memories just get sweeter as time goes on.

I too am sorry to hear about your mother passing. :( I am glad that you have good memories to hang on to. I lost my dad in 1990 to cancer and my mom passed away about 6 years ago. You are correct. We should spend quality time with our families.

Im sorry for your loss, as i lost mine in 03 at the age of 44. i have many fond memories of her and im glad you have the same as well. your very true in your words about quality time with the family. take care.

Sorry for your lost!!! Its a good thing you didn't get your gun, Who knows what would have happend. My best wishes are with you and your family. TAKE CARE!!!

Sorry for your lost!!! Its a good thing you didn't get your gun, Who knows what would have happend. My best wishes are with you and your family. TAKE CARE!!!

Exactly corrrect and my mother knew that when she heard that word the joke was over. She was trying to teach us about leaving doors open and unlocked but back then we really didn't worry about locking things up like we do now. I am not sure if that is good or bad but just how things were back then.

Sorry for your loss. I am fortunate in having both my parents living but know that won't be the case long. Dad is 83 and mom is 81.

I understand how you feel...I don't have much good memories with my mom like you do yours, as she was too busy for us kids so I chose to have quality time with mine whenever I can so they will remember me with fondness -- all because of my mother-in-law who really raised me well and taught me how to be a mother. I have great memories of her better.

MY Mother was always my "sounding board" in my youth. My Dad was the "teacher of life and proper attitudes". For a rebellious independent soul such as I was (still am, for that matter) there WAS some conflict! LOL!

My Dad left us in '03, all the "kids" and Mom rotated shifts at the Hospice Home while he went down. (I insisted, I had done volunteer work at our local HH and I had seen how many of those folks die alone, abandoned by their freinds and family in their final extremes.) That was NOT going to be the way my Father went down. He was 83.

My Mom is still kicking at 91, but she knows not who she is or what her life has been about. I was up to see her last August..... sorry sight to see a person with her wit and intelligence completely lose it. (Is that better than KNOWING that you are going, as my Dad did? I don't know.)

Anyway, my sister reported last night that the Hospice People believe that she is in her last stages. I expect to have to go to a funeral this month. Sis wanted me to come up to see her before that happens. I think, overall, I would rather prefer to remember her as she was, not as a pitiful soul with a wrecked mind, who didn't know who I was last time around.

If I thought it would help her plight..... I'd go. It cannot, so I won't. The last trip busted me up inside enough.

I've already told the wife, that when I go, no funeral, no "visitation"..... if someone wants a wake for me, they can go down to my "local" and tip a few pints in my memory. I would prefer to have my life remembered, not my death.

GG

MY Mother was always my "sounding board" in my youth. My Dad was the "teacher of life and proper attitudes". For a rebellious independent soul such as I was (still am, for that matter) there WAS some conflict! LOL!

My Dad left us in '03, all the "kids" and Mom rotated shifts at the Hospice Home while he went down. (I insisted, I had done volunteer work at our local HH and I had seen how many of those folks die alone, abandoned by their freinds and family in their final extremes.) That was NOT going to be the way my Father went down. He was 83.

My Mom is still kicking at 91, but she knows not who she is or what her life has been about. I was up to see her last August..... sorry sight to see a person with her wit and intelligence completely lose it. (Is that better than KNOWING that you are going, as my Dad did? I don't know.)

Anyway, my sister reported last night that the Hospice People believe that she is in her last stages. I expect to have to go to a funeral this month. Sis wanted me to come up to see her before that happens. I think, overall, I would rather prefer to remember her as she was, not as a pitiful soul with a wrecked mind, who didn't know who I was last time around.

If I thought it would help her plight..... I'd go. It cannot, so I won't. The last trip busted me up inside enough.

I've already told the wife, that when I go, no funeral, no "visitation"..... if someone wants a wake for me, they can go down to my "local" and tip a few pints in my memory. I would prefer to have my life remembered, not my death.

GG
I understand where you are coming from. My beloved MIL had alzheimer's in 1981. She went to hospital when Dad cannot take care of her anymore. When she first went to hospital, Dad cried each time saying that him and Mom hadn't been separated for even a day; that apart from going to work, they have always been together. Hubby and I ended up buying a house two houses away from them and go see them every other weekend. One time we visited, they were both near the sunroom and was waving to us goodbye. It was the most beautiful sight for me. We continued to visit her until I cannot stand it anymore and told my husband that I just want to visit Dad and take care of him because I want to remember them as they were: together and waving us goodbye. I was glad hubby understood. So did Dad. We lost Dad earlier than Mom, 5 years apart. They were my best friends.

Our prayers are with you. I lost my dad when I was 20, my mom when I was 26. I can tell you it gets easier. To answer your question, well, nowaday's there is no question. Get the gun, but I.D. the target before putting finger on trigger. Get good formal training, it is scary after you do to realize not only how much you did not know and likely did not consider, but it is also an eye opener as to how much you will STILL have to learn and practice!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back