do we carry our guns or do our guns carry us?

Rht4162

ok first let me say i love my second amendment and as soon as i can i am stocking up, especially with the abomination of obamanation. but for all you who carry your guns everywhere, even swimming or in the shower, do you think your actually captive by them? everyone else around you is blissfully oblivious to the reality, but does knowing wear on you at all? i mean i had the thought, your on vacation and at the pool, everyone is having fun not a car in the world, but your packing because you know what could happen, yea your havin fun but its still in the back of your mind. can you truly relax? i dont know maybe if and when i get to carry i will understand but i wanted to ask what you ladys and gents thought about it.

If we were to relax, who would protect our families? Relaxing when I know my family may be at risk is akin to not paying attention while driving. I can enjoy the drive, the countryside, the music, and the company, but I'd better be watching the road.

I do not wear mine swimming. Of course I do not go swimming much anyway. I carry mine everywhere else unless it is some place off limits and they have metal detectors. No it does not bother me. I have carried so long it is second nature with me. What would bother me is if I did not have my guns. As far as I am concerned I am no more dressed without one or more guns than I would be if I forget my shoes. It is part of my attire. That being said I am never so relaxed to not be aware of what is going on around me. Never be in condition white.

2nd nature...I'll 2nd that!

I do not wear mine swimming. Of course I do not go swimming much anyway. I carry mine everywhere else unless it is some place off limits and they have metal detectors. No it does not bother me. I have carried so long it is second nature with me. What would bother me is if I did not have my guns. As far as I am concerned I am no more dressed without one or more guns than I would be if I forget my shoes. It is part of my attire. That being said I am never so relaxed to not be aware of what is going on around me. Never be in condition white.

2nd nature....I'll 2nd that! I tote everywhere I legally can, with the exception of post offices, court houses and airports. Hopefully, National Parks will be legal soon. I took my family to buy a new Chevy Suburban today and wore my pistol, concealed, without a worry in the world.

Surfcc

I was told recently that there are some bras (and maybe even swim suits) that have built-in "holsters" in the top area, no pun intended. Really, no pun intended! Well, pardon me, but neither my .9 nor my .45 would be concealed there, bra or otherwise. I wish I had "enough" to conceal something there, but, alas, that's a no go. lol So, I'm left to my swimming and diving-down-below-8-feet abilities to outwit anything incoming in my direction, which is probably way too hopeful in my thinking!

Happy New Year!

2nd nature....I'll 2nd that! I tote everywhere I legally can, with the exception of post offices, court houses and airports. Hopefully, National Parks will be legal soon. I took my family to buy a new Chevy Suburban today and wore my pistol, concealed, without a worry in the world.

Surfcc

Well, dang, I wish I'd known, I could have gotten you a discount! Next time!

I can definitely say that my guns don't carry me. Situational awareness, whether carrying or not, is what I tend to practice. That, and staying out of places that I shouldn't be in (ie. dark alleys or other areas that are poorly lit at night) are just as important as the Glock 22 on my hip in ensuring that I make it home in one piece.

Thanks for the offer! I work for a GM supplier and get a supplier discount.

Surfcc

You get the same discount I get, then, as maybe both of us can get for friends and family. I'll have to look and see if the program is still offered. I've gotten discounts for many a person, friend and family.

Once you're part of the legal CCW group, carrying is just like putting on a belt, sock or your cell phone on your belt. My hot tub/pool gun is my Kel-Tec P-11. I don't swim with it obviously but there are solutions to swim with a firearm if you need to have that additional level of accessibility. I keep it in a robe pocket with my hotel room key and my cell phone. I keep the robe in my field of vision at all times. I only travel to areas where I can legally carry. I have a loaded .357 magnum snub-nose revolver in the closet easily accessible when I'm bathing.

About the only time I'm really not at ease traveling is when I check my baggage with my unloaded firearms. Unfortunately that's the cost of doing business if you utilize commercial air travel.

The job of the weapon and holster, 99.99% of the time, is just to be available. If it's there, and doesn't do anything, then it has done its job for the day. I tend to be cautious and will try to position myself and my companions out of bad situations at the first hint of trouble. I avoid areas with high violence and try to watch my surroundings closely. There's a very good chance - hopefully - that I'll never encounter a real-life situation that requires me to draw.

At the same time, the more minutes in your life that you are covered by a readily accessible firearm, the less minutes there are in which you're vulnerable. It's better to have more coverage than less.

If I want to relax, I'm going to relax whether I'm carrying a P3AT under swimming shorts, or have the Moss covered by a towel under a deck chair. Since you're potentially vulnerable everywhere, it's best to just accept it and make sure that you're covered as much as possible. Even if you have to go into the ghetto, stay relaxed while being alert. This may require meditation, or whatever does it for you.

I think there's a greater chance of a car crashing into my house and killing me in the shower than an armed assailant randomly storming in. But, I'd feel extraordinarily stupid if I happened to be in the shower at the time, and couldn't access any one of the five firearms on the other side of the wall. I'd much rather that one of the guns be doing its job of being available for defensive use, than just sitting pointlessly in another room.

do we carry

I have carried for so long that when I don't, I feel naked, as when we first mmoved to Washington. Someone mentioned situational awareness, and I agree wholeheartedly. I digned one of my deputies once for standing in hte cone of death on a suspicious call while being in condition white, and our sergeant criticized me for being too hard on the guy. Being in condition yellow takes nothing aaway from my enjoyment of whatever activity I am taking part in, but at least I am not drifting along, totally unaware of what is going on around me. No, my gun doesn't carry me, but is there if the situation escalates to red, so I can avoid condition black.

Granted I have not been carrying for long, but like the others, I do almost everywhere except places I am legally not allowed. I was visiting the outlaws in Canada in April, & felt so naked and like a potential victim. I still had my holster w/ me d/t it is second nature when I put on my belt. So, it was my silent protest to the Canooks. LOL! The mrs did say that she felt different when we went on our walk one night. We both kept looking around, even though we were in a "safe" part of town.

I do not feel it carries me personally.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back