Do not do this..... Remember your training.

W.D.Murray

Posted: 5:28 p.m. Dec. 29, 2009 | Updated: 7:57 p.m. today
After 3 break-ins, Detroit man calmly shoots, kills intruder, cops say
By TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Comments (330) Recommend (27) Print E-mail Letter to the editor Share Tigh Croff’s home in Detroit had been broken into three times in the last week.

So when he found two men in his backyard on the block of Manistique at 12:30 a.m. Monday, the east-side resident — who is licensed to carry a gun — gave chase, Detroit police said.

One man got away. The other stopped running, turned around, put his hands up and, according to a police source, taunted the 31-year-old homeowner.

“What are you going to do?” Herbert Silas of Detroit reportedly asked, his hands still in the air. “Shoot me?”

“Absolutely,” Croff told investigators he replied before pulling the trigger, the source said. Silas was hit once in the chest, killing him.

Silas, 53, was unarmed when he was fatally shot, Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office spokeswoman Maria Miller said today.

Croff now faces charges of second-degree murder and felony firearm, Miller said. He is set to be arraigned at noon Wednesday in Detroit’s 36th District Court.

Detroit police spokesman John Roach would not discuss specifics of the shooting. The phone number listed for Croff’s home was disconnected.

Well I know he shouldn't have shot, but it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. One less thug monkee in the jungle. Guess he was surprised when he heard the shot go off. I'll bet his last thought was Holy sh*t, HE DID shoot me!
I remember watching a video of a guy who was harrassing an old man and his family. The old man told him don't come on my porch or I will kill you. The little thug walked onto the porch and was prancing around and holding his arms up like he was a champion, and was taunting the old man. All of a sudden, BLAM! The old guy smoked him right in the gut. Mr Bad*ss Thug fell to the ground screaming, "You shot me, you shot me!!! Well, no sh*t. He started gasping for air and died within about 20 seconds. Yeah, you gotta use judgement when you shoot, but I can't help but sit there in amazement when these little thugs get shot, while taunting their victims, just knowing he ain't gonna shoot. But then.......BANG! Some idiots just need shootin'.

yeah some people deserve it alright... but that doesn't mean you have the right to do it even if they may deserve it.. the shooter was not afraid for his life in either case. some jerks just really need to be taught a lesson that will stick. maybe then they won't end up getting killed.

"Remember your training" as in:

All guns are always loaded!
Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!
Always be sure of your target!

lol I think he meant don't pursue offenders because you are in no danger if YOU are pursuing. Also, don't shoot unarmed people that have their hands in the air...

There was a case several years ago here in NC. A father stayed homr from work one day becasue his young son was sick. He heard noise and voices coming from his garage, grabbed a .22 rifle, and went to investigate. There were 3 young men (late teens, early 20's) carrying tools, sporting goods, etc from the garage to their vehicle. He confronted them with the rifle. They ignored his order to halt, continued to carry away his possessions, and arrogantly asked what he was really going to do about it. They were not armed.

He shot 2 of them one fatally, and the other permanantly crippled. He was charged and tried, but a sympathetic NC jury acquitted him of all charges.

There was a case several years ago here in NC. A father stayed homr from work one day becasue his young son was sick. He heard noise and voices coming from his garage, grabbed a .22 rifle, and went to investigate. There were 3 young men (late teens, early 20's) carrying tools, sporting goods, etc from the garage to their vehicle. He confronted them with the rifle. They ignored his order to halt, continued to carry away his possessions, and arrogantly asked what he was really going to do about it. They were not armed.

He shot 2 of them one fatally, and the other permanantly crippled. He was charged and tried, but a sympathetic NC jury acquitted him of all charges.

Sadly, the value of the stuff they were stealing was probably a lot less than the cost of his attorey fees, lost time from work and the mental distress to himself and his family. Don't understand why people will employ lethal force against another person for tangible items. :confused:

gf

Sadly, the value of the stuff they were stealing was probably a lot less than the cost of his attorey fees, lost time from work and the mental distress to himself and his family. :confused:

gf

Absolutely correct. It was a long, drawn-out trial, and he was represented by one of the areas most prestigious (read:expensive) law firms.

If someone was stealing 'stuff' I would observe, take pictures, call 911, etc. and only use my firearm if they decided to enter my dwelling. My guess is that if someone was willing to brazenly take stuff from outside of the house and get away with it they were heading inside next, and I'd be ready for them.

Sadly, the value of the stuff they were stealing was probably a lot less than the cost of his attorey fees, lost time from work and the mental distress to himself and his family. Don't understand why people will employ lethal force against another person for tangible items. :confused:

gf

Yea it will be expensive and you could loose, but in that case it was the principal of the event. I do see how that would have gotten the guy mad enough. Shooting the robbers was not the best choice though...
I would have opted for one of the tires on the getaway vehicle for the first shot and waited to see if that would have forced them to change their game plan. That may have been enough to get their attention :sarcastic:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back