'Disturbing' video shows deputies beating man after horse pursuit

nogods

Concern was growing over the actions of San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies who were captured on video by a television news helicopter beating a suspect after a pursuit Thursday.

Sheriff John McMahon immediately called the incident "disturbing" and ordered an investigation, and there were calls from the man's family and the American Civil Liberties Union for more action from authorities.

In the video, deputies are seen repeatedly kicking and punching a suspect at the end of a bizarre horseback pursuit. A KNBC Channel 4 helicopter captured the chase, which appears to show the deputies striking the man, identified as 30-year-old Francis Pusok, even after he was on the ground with his hands behind his back

Pusok had “obviously surrendered, followed commands to keep his hands behind his back -- that would be the time for the deputies to drop the knees on him and get him handcuffed,” Meyer said. “But it didn’t happen, and they will have to answer for the force they used on him.”

During the beating, which involved as many as 11 deputies and lasted for about two minutes, Pusok was kicked and kneed about a dozen times and punched more than two dozen times, according to the video.

'Disturbing' video shows deputies beating man after horse pursuit - LA Times

While I don't condone the suspects criminal actions whatsoever and he will get what is coming to him, it is not for LEOs to administer justice and this is very disturbing. Interesting how the news crew seemingly protects the PD by not saying anything after, "Suspect being tased, suspect being tased!" Where was the, "oh my god what are they doing? The suspect is already on the ground and they are beating him?" They went silent or the video audio was cut.

Absolutely disgusting use of force and shame on KNBC for disallowing real time verbal feedback. If I were in that chopper, viewers would have heard my verbal condemnation of their actions. My guess is that they took a silent approach to 1) Not condemn the police department and taint their arrest and 2) protect themselves from persecution and/or future PD cooperation for news gathering purposes.

Abhorred.

Not that it's "good" news but San Bernadino County is paying out a settlement of $650,000 so that Mr. Pusok will hold SBC deputies harmless and not pursue the case further.
The Settlement

Mr Pusok, while not appearing to be a fine upstanding citizen by any definition of the phrase, did not deserve to have a select group of thugs seek street justice (aka vigilantism).

Not that it's "good" news but San Bernadino County is paying out a settlement of $650,000 so that Mr. Pusok will hold SBC deputies harmless and not pursue the case further.
The Settlement

Mr Pusok, while not appearing to be a fine upstanding citizen by any definition of the phrase, did not deserve to have a select group of thugs seek street justice (aka vigilantism).

And the merry go round keeps on turning...when will someone blow up the circus?

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back