Dissapeared into thin air... scared the wife

Danno

I live in Greenville SC, and am waiting on my permit to show up in the mail. In the mean time, I carry at home, and keep in the console in my car just about everywhere I go. My wife didn't understand why I do this, until this past Saturday. We were pulling out of our driveway, and a teen was walking down the road, smoking a cigarette. He didn't have a shirt on, and just tan shorts, and shoes. I made the comment to my wife that he was awful young to be smoking (probably 16-17). He eye-balled me as we drove past, and I kept an eye on him in the mirror.

As we turned the corner, I noticed that he crossed the street, and was stepping into my yard! I hit the gas, and went around the block, pulling back into my drive, and grabbed my XD 45 from the console, and told my wife to get ready to call 911 if she heard me start yelling.

I had pulled into the carport, and first checked the side door - it was still locked, no sign of forced entry. I opened the back gate that leads to the deck and back yard. I kept a slow ready position all the way around. I didn't see anyone in the yard, or anywhere around the house for that fact! It's like he just vanished into thin air...

Needless to say, that freaked my wife out, and has been much more appreciative of me wanting to protect my family, and even told me that she is ready for me to teach her how to shoot! I couldn't be more happy! I'm planning on starting her with my .22 Mag revolver (the smallest caliber I have) this weekend, and moving up from there.

I live in Greenville SC, and am waiting on my permit to show up in the mail. In the mean time, I carry at home, and keep in the console in my car just about everywhere I go. My wife didn't understand why I do this, until this past Saturday. We were pulling out of our driveway, and a teen was walking down the road, smoking a cigarette. He didn't have a shirt on, and just tan shorts, and shoes. I made the comment to my wife that he was awful young to be smoking (probably 16-17). He eye-balled me as we drove past, and I kept an eye on him in the mirror.
Okay, society is full of people you have the worry about.
As we turned the corner, I noticed that he crossed the street, and was stepping into my yard! I hit the gas, and went around the block, pulling back into my drive, and grabbed my XD 45 from the console, and told my wife to get ready to call 911 if she heard me start yelling.
You left your wife alone and unarmed while you went off to force a confrontation? Bad move. What if he was circling the house, 'casing the joint' and found her in the car with you on the other side of the house unable to see what was going on?
I had pulled into the carport, and first checked the side door - it was still locked, no sign of forced entry. I opened the back gate that leads to the deck and back yard. I kept a slow ready position all the way around. I didn't see anyone in the yard, or anywhere around the house for that fact! It's like he just vanished into thin air...

Needless to say, that freaked my wife out, and has been much more appreciative of me wanting to protect my family, and even told me that she is ready for me to teach her how to shoot! I couldn't be more happy! I'm planning on starting her with my .22 Mag revolver (the smallest caliber I have) this weekend, and moving up from there.
I'm glad you're going to arm her and she's willing to do so. My wife owns guns that are hers, and she keeps one loaded with her whether I'm there or not.

Yes, I did leave her in the car, it was locked - I know it was probably not the best move, but the way our house is laid out, the car port is almost part of the back yard, so she I could see her while I was in the back yard.

Yes, I've very happy that she is finally ready to arm herself. Make me feel much better about leaving her alone!

I'm glad that this scenario ended up harmless for all involved, and lead to your wife deciding to become another self-reliant person who chose to take her safety and well being into her own hands. And yes, from the way you spelled it out, it dang sure sounds suspicious. But might I suggest a more benign possibility? That maybe that young punk just wanted to cut through your backyard and shortcut over to the next block? I'm not saying anyone was right or wrong, just pointing out that sometimes suspicious situations have mundane explanations.

I'm sure that the neighbor kid didn't mean anything by it, and I probably over reacted, but he can't cut though mine, or any of the houses on my street, because we all have fenced in back yards.

I did see that same kid yesterday on the way home - he was in the front yard of a house one street over from mine, with who I assumed was his father, repairing their mailbox... I wonder what his dad would say about his son smoking? :)

Good job Danno! You can never be too careful. A scenario like that can make someone think. I'm glad it didn't escalate and your wife got to see first hand why it's so important to be able to protect yourself. Once you get he hooked on shooting let me know I have a few choices in handguns lying around she's welcome to try them out to see what she would like the best for CC.:wink:

I'm sure that the neighbor kid didn't mean anything by it, and I probably over reacted, but he can't cut though mine, or any of the houses on my street, because we all have fenced in back yards.

I did see that same kid yesterday on the way home - he was in the front yard of a house one street over from mine, with who I assumed was his father, repairing their mailbox... I wonder what his dad would say about his son smoking? :)

For God's Sakes! Don't shoot him! He is paying for the multi-trillion dollar "stimulus package!"

i started smoking at an early age, routinely walked or rode a skateboard without a shirt on, and occasionally cut through a yard and jumped a fence in the neighborhood to get 'there' quicker, usually with no more than a "you damn kids get off my lawn!". i also tended to have long hair. i never broke in to anyone's house or even had any malicious intent. i used to gripe about how people judged kids that smoked cigarettes or rode skateboards or listened to punk rock or just rocked their own style. that was 15-20 years ago. these days kids will kick your door in in broad daylight just for a little street cred. now i'm maybe guilty of judging kids by their looks, but if i haven't seen them in my neighborhood before, i'm gonna be somewhat suspicious, regardless of what they look like, even if they're not kids. you can't be too vigilant.
WTH has happened to greenville?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back