Disney World carry

Marfa Kid

Anyone have experience carrying @Disney?? I'm taking Grandson in August and wonder what to expect.

They even consider folding pocket knives to be a no-no.

Most folks I know don't think twice about sliding their knife into their pocket. Disney's security aren't people I know, but I understand they like your money - not your tools. :angry:

If you pocket carry, don't print and are cool you are good to go. Many people carry at Disney and nobody is the wiser.

Disney is very picky about firearms and does not authorize anyone, including LEO unless on duty and assigned to Disney to carry within the ticketed areas. They place this ban based on the fact that it is private property with “contracted” admission (ticket) and you have agreed to their terms. There is no posting or other notification. Of course, as it is not a violation of state law, if caught you would be facing trespass charges at worst.

Your bags will be searched, sometimes intently, sometimes very passively. Your person will not be searched and there are not metal detectors. Many have carried into Disney, however, many drive 100 mph that does not make it any more “officially” allowable. The decisions are yours. If you decide to carry into Disney just realize that if caught you will likely not be shown a whole lot of respect and you will likely be immediately expelled from the area with a permanent order not to return (this does carry the weight of law). Your family or party may simply be left to find you outside the park and dealing with the embarrassment will be your problem. “Sorry Jimmy, grandpa is not allowed in there anymore” is tough to explain as most young kids don’t give a damn about RKBA vs RSMM (Right to see Mickey Mouse).

If you do decide to carry, what are you going to do with a firearm? First of all, you will see the parks are wall to wall people so a “clean” solution without a likely collateral danger in the background would be nearly impossible. Add to that the realization that most of the walls you see at Disney are “sets” much of it just Styrofoam and Stucco so a normal handgun round may penetrate through many rooms. Now every thought of a shot is a blind shot, and since you are firing an unauthorized weapon on private property you will find the full weight of any liability squarely on your shoulders with no legal protection at all.

From my standpoint, I am not certain I would carry at Disney without their restriction just because I do not know if I could ever pull the trigger literally shooting blind into a crowd. I think that self-defense in these situations call for much more subtle, less than lethal solution carried on person. A stun gun? Pepper Spray? Pepper Blaster? None are going to be officially sanctioned so don’t show them to security and all could still get you booted from the park, but I believe they would be a bit more understanding and at least they are viable means of self-defense under the conditions.

Disney security is better trained than most think and they are well equipped to handle situations in the parks. As it is a restricted entry area, things like strong arm robbery, assault, etc are not their major problems as escape is so thwarted. The big problem in Disney is child abduction attempts. As you are walking through the parks and suddenly every fifteen feet or so some really friendly Disney staffer in business dress says “how is your visit?” or some other overly friendly greeting WATCH THEIR EYES!

Especially if you have a little kid in your arms, you will see their eyes immediately gravitate to the child’s shoes. Many abduction attempts may involve trying to change the child’s appearance including clothing, haircuts, hair dye, etc. However as shoes vary so much in size and are bulky, most perps do not carry an assortment of shoes so the first and most important piece of information wanted from the parents is what shoes were they wearing.

Disney office types are trained to observe and report items like this and tell tale signs of nervousness, fear, etc (just like why Security spends more time looking at you than at your bag during bag check and why the “no bag” gate is very narrow and you are almost always greeted by a uniformed security officer (sometimes with a uniformed Deputy hanging out). None of this is by accident.

Of course in today’s world there are “major” actions to be concerned with, but you with a gun is not going to do anything to prevent that either so I recommend you take the logical approach and simply enjoy your visit.

Disney is very picky about firearms and does not authorize anyone, including LEO unless on duty and assigned to Disney to carry within the ticketed areas. They place this ban based on the fact that it is private property with “contracted” admission (ticket) and you have agreed to their terms. There is no posting or other notification. Of course, as it is not a violation of state law, if caught you would be facing trespass charges at worst.

Your bags will be searched, sometimes intently, sometimes very passively. Your person will not be searched and there are not metal detectors. Many have carried into Disney, however, many drive 100 mph that does not make it any more “officially” allowable. The decisions are yours. If you decide to carry into Disney just realize that if caught you will likely not be shown a whole lot of respect and you will likely be immediately expelled from the area with a permanent order not to return (this does carry the weight of law). Your family or party may simply be left to find you outside the park and dealing with the embarrassment will be your problem. “Sorry Jimmy, grandpa is not allowed in there anymore” is tough to explain as most young kids don’t give a damn about RKBA vs RSMM (Right to see Mickey Mouse).

If you do decide to carry, what are you going to do with a firearm? First of all, you will see the parks are wall to wall people so a “clean” solution without a likely collateral danger in the background would be nearly impossible. Add to that the realization that most of the walls you see at Disney are “sets” much of it just Styrofoam and Stucco so a normal handgun round may penetrate through many rooms. Now every thought of a shot is a blind shot, and since you are firing an unauthorized weapon on private property you will find the full weight of any liability squarely on your shoulders with no legal protection at all.

From my standpoint, I am not certain I would carry at Disney without their restriction just because I do not know if I could ever pull the trigger literally shooting blind into a crowd. I think that self-defense in these situations call for much more subtle, less than lethal solution carried on person. A stun gun? Pepper Spray? Pepper Blaster? None are going to be officially sanctioned so don’t show them to security and all could still get you booted from the park, but I believe they would be a bit more understanding and at least they are viable means of self-defense under the conditions.

Disney security is better trained than most think and they are well equipped to handle situations in the parks. As it is a restricted entry area, things like strong arm robbery, assault, etc are not their major problems as escape is so thwarted. The big problem in Disney is child abduction attempts. As you are walking through the parks and suddenly every fifteen feet or so some really friendly Disney staffer in business dress says “how is your visit?” or some other overly friendly greeting WATCH THEIR EYES!

Especially if you have a little kid in your arms, you will see their eyes immediately gravitate to the child’s shoes. Many abduction attempts may involve trying to change the child’s appearance including clothing, haircuts, hair dye, etc. However as shoes vary so much in size and are bulky, most perps do not carry an assortment of shoes so the first and most important piece of information wanted from the parents is what shoes were they wearing.

Disney office types are trained to observe and report items like this and tell tale signs of nervousness, fear, etc (just like why Security spends more time looking at you than at your bag during bag check and why the “no bag” gate is very narrow and you are almost always greeted by a uniformed security officer (sometimes with a uniformed Deputy hanging out). None of this is by accident.

Of course in today’s world there are “major” actions to be concerned with, but you with a gun is not going to do anything to prevent that either so I recommend you take the logical approach and simply enjoy your visit.

+1 2beararms

I will admit I have carried while visiting Disney. We had a company Christmas party there a couple years back. It was at night and I decided I'd rather have it on me then leave it in the car.

Good observation Kimber. I agree there are extenuating circumstances that at times you have to consider. Sometimes those corporate events in Epcot wind up with you parking and entering from the back parking lots (usually employee only areas) which are a whole lot less secure.

One for me all of the time is the "ride" to and from guest parking and especially the "walk" either to and from parking or just down the long isle at night. I would rather Disney compromise and make a "check your weapon" area at the parks entrance because of this lack.

Perhaps someday. This week off duty, out of town firefighters were the first on scene at the monorail crash and were allowed to pass the "ropes" and try to help ... another thing that Disney will normally try to avoid.

Also, Mafia Kid, I think I should point out that my comments are to be applied to the "ticketed areas" meaning the four parks themselves. I routinely carry on the rest of Disney property including Downtown Disney and Marketplace. Disney tipped their hand when a guest accidentally shot himself in the leg securing his weapon in his car at Downtown not too long ago. Disney noted that "although employees are forbidden from having weapons in their cars on Disney property (another controversy in itself), that policy does not apply to guests". Of course, it doesn't because they really have no means to enforce it as the non-ticketed areas of property are pretty much considered public streets the same as anywhere else in Florida since Disney gave up its home rule and police powers years back in order to protect their privacy.

That is why Disney security cars no longer have blue lights and now Orange County deputies patrol as the "on duty" police, even though Reedy Creek still has its own Fire and Rescue services.

Disney

My wife made me swear not to carry when we went this April. All she was thinking about is the embarrasment of me getting permanently booted. We were staying in one of the Disney hotels so we didn't need to deal with parking lots unless we went to another hotel or off property. Carry is perfectly acceptable when not in the parks themselves.:pleasantry:

My little P32 cried when I told it that it wouldn't get to ride space mountain. :sarcastic:
But it did get to see some nice hotels and restaurants.

Isn't the P32 too small for that ride?!

I think I saw a sign that reads... "your Heater has to be at least THIS big.... (picture of Glock23) to ride this ride":sarcastic:

Disney doesn't allow it.

Not posted at the gate,or has ti been on the CC type ticket I usualy buy, I have CC'd mutiple times, N at Universal too....

bottom line is they will search any bag, purse, camera bag or backpack, but if you walk in with it coved on your hip and nothing else in hand except maybe a camera you get to pass right on by..... there was only one old guy at that gate, with a smile and a howdy I walked on by and waited for the wife to get her stuff looked at. Epcot, MGM same story...

Security is very good at these theme parks but outside beware, someone tried to rob me at a gas station, Yeah the HK changed their mind real fast.....

Heck my HK has rode out the Rocking Roller Coaster,n space Mountain, in the pancake twice now.... but then that Dillon pancake holds on real tight!!! So dropping your gun or Mag on a ride could be very disastrous do so at your own risk!!

Good observation Kimber. I agree there are extenuating circumstances that at times you have to consider. Sometimes those corporate events in Epcot wind up with you parking and entering from the back parking lots (usually employee only areas) which are a whole lot less secure.

One for me all of the time is the "ride" to and from guest parking and especially the "walk" either to and from parking or just down the long isle at night. I would rather Disney compromise and make a "check your weapon" area at the parks entrance because of this lack.

Perhaps someday. This week off duty, out of town firefighters were the first on scene at the monorail crash and were allowed to pass the "ropes" and try to help ... another thing that Disney will normally try to avoid.

Also, Mafia Kid, I think I should point out that my comments are to be applied to the "ticketed areas" meaning the four parks themselves. I routinely carry on the rest of Disney property including Downtown Disney and Marketplace. Disney tipped their hand when a guest accidentally shot himself in the leg securing his weapon in his car at Downtown not too long ago. Disney noted that "although employees are forbidden from having weapons in their cars on Disney property (another controversy in itself), that policy does not apply to guests". Of course, it doesn't because they really have no means to enforce it as the non-ticketed areas of property are pretty much considered public streets the same as anywhere else in Florida since Disney gave up its home rule and police powers years back in order to protect their privacy.

That is why Disney security cars no longer have blue lights and now Orange County deputies patrol as the "on duty" police, even though Reedy Creek still has its own Fire and Rescue services.

Good points. I decided to carry mine for three reasons....

1. It was a special after hours type of even were we'd be walking back to our cars around Midnight.
2. It was on a Friday and all the employees left straight from work. So I didn't want to try and remove and secure my pistol with Coworkers in and around my vehicle.
3. Since it was in the afternoon and in December it was a little chili so I also had a light jacket on. Making concealment even easier.

But each person’s scenario is different and like said you’re not breaking the law just their policy. I have also heard that if they do happen to make you they just ask you to either lock it in your car or in a secure locker in one of Disney’s offices. Not sure if that’s true.

Not posted at the gate, I have several times, N at Universal too.... bottom line is they will search any bag, purse, camera bag or backpack, but if you walk in with it coved on your hip and nothing else in hand except a camera you get to pass right on buy..... Heck my HK has rode out the Rocking Roller Coaster,n space Mountain, in the pancake twice now.... but then that Dillon pancake holds on real tight!!!

LOL my Kimber made that same ride. Liked it so much we had to go back and ride it again!!

hmmmm..... I wonder how many pistols have actually made that ride!?!?!?!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back