disaster protection

crazycathed

we had a tornado watch today and I told my GF the first thing I'm grabbing ismy pistol. she wanted to know why I'd grab a gun during a disaster and I told her to fend off looters. she looked at me like I was crazy and said nobody in the neighborhood has ever looted during a disaster.I told her it was foolish to put blind faith in strangers, especially in the event of a disaster where people are gonna be desperate for whatever they feel they need to survive not to mention it brings out the bad element to prey on unsuspecting people.

Most of the neighborhoods in New Orleans had never been looted either. Has your neighborhood ever encountered a major disaster? I'd be grabbing my gun(s) immediately.

I'd be doing the same.. firearms and ammo would definately be on the top of my list for just those reasons. a friend of a friend lost his life around new orleans when a thug wanted his car... don't think the thug was ever caught.

looters were everywhere after katrina. i mean everywhere. i mentioned to some 2 blocks south of me that there was alot of good chit to be had on my street. lucky for them no one showed up. or there would have been one less looter or 2 on the streets.

I wonder what the government would do if I dug a moat in my yard, and rigged up claymores and pungie pits? Maybe a couple logs on ropes that swing down from trees, like the ewoks did in Star Wars.

You can never be too prepared, right? :biggrin:

we had a tornado watch today and I told my GF the first thing I'm grabbing ismy pistol. she wanted to know why I'd grab a gun during a disaster and I told her to fend off looters. she looked at me like I was crazy and said nobody in the neighborhood has ever looted during a disaster.I told her it was foolish to put blind faith in strangers, especially in the event of a disaster where people are gonna be desperate for whatever they feel they need to survive not to mention it brings out the bad element to prey on unsuspecting people.
A lack of previous experience is not sufficient justification for a lack of preparation. People often use "but that has never happened before!" as an excuse for confusion at a particular outcome, or not being ready for something, or whatever.

There's a first time for everything. We are situated in the Universe in such a way that we experience events in a one-way linear order, with (so far as we know) no loops or regressions. No event at all that is unique to a particular observer's perspective occurs before that event itself has happened. Any experience that someone has - whatever it is - has a "first time".

I hear people throw out that crap all the time about, "But my computer has never done this before!" Well, suck it up, because it's doing it now. And, it's usually their fault anyway.

Chandelier falls on your head? Baby pees in your face? Clutch doesn't work as a brake? Screwdriver vaporizes when hitting an HV line? The more you know...

Last edited:
Having been at ground zero of three Hurricanes (Francis, Gene & Wilma) and traveled to two more working disaster relief (Charlie & Katrina) I feel fully qualified to make the following statement:

The most important thing to consider about firearms in a disaster situation is that 1) You want to be certain to have them and 2) You want to be very, very selective in consideration of ever using them!

During these times of no power, no food, no water, and perhaps of most importance NO LIGHT, everyone thinks they will be ready to "shoot looters", to protect their property above all else. But that is the last thing that will be on your mind. YES, you must be prepared to defend your existence, and yes there will be bad guys but in the aftermath of disaster, LIFE is what is important, not property.

I saw people who were "looting" stores three days after a huricane had knocked out everything. They were looking to "steal" two things, WATER and FOOD to keep their children alive.

I saw them break the front door of a grocery store and run in and take out whatever they could carry that was edible or drinkable, including containers of milk that had not been refrigerated for three days and melted frozen food.

I saw people "looting" abandoned houses for usuable supplies. I guess I could have unholstered and stopped them, after all, they WERE looting!

But understand, when a disaster strikes, you are all in it together, and you quickly realize there is no MINE and YOURS, there is only survival. You will say there is no reason to steal a TV, and I agree but truthfully, it is not worth shooting someone over, it is going to be insured anyway. But that level of looting in a disaster is really NOT the norm (in most areas) but it is what makes the TV news, mostly because the TV crews are not really in the true disaster area, because if the TV trucks can make it in, then so can the disaster relief supplies.

If you are taking the time to know where your gun & ammo are to be ready for a disaster, then take the time to put together the tools you will need to really help yourself AND YOUR NEIGHBORS, AND STRANGERS because you will find that everyone is together when the lights go out.

I now keep a fully ready emergency kit that includes the ability to filter and purify water from puddles and streams because WATER IS the key to survival. Food for a few days, and firearms and ammo both for defense and for the ability to hunt, even in urban areas, if need be.

But I will tell you this... my most likely time my hand will be on my weapon will be when I am the one "looting" a to keep my family alive when someone decides that their property outweighs MY survival. And I speak from experience that although help is usually available within a week, those first few days you are truly alone ... with your new community of people you probably live next to but really don't know!

Thank you 2beararms.

As a state correctional officer I would also like to bring forth another point. what would happen if said natural disaster hit a correctional facility too and put it out of commission.

Dont think that 20 officers can hold back 2k violent offenders in that type of situation.

Be prepared (not just a motto for boy scouts).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back