Disabled Vet told to remove USMC stickers from vehicle

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
DALLAS - Frank Larison is a disabled veteran with more than 14 years of service, including more than a year of combat duty in Vietnam.

The 58-year-old former Marine now finds himself under attack by his Dallas homeowners association for displaying seven decals on his vehicle supporting the Marine Corps.
Link Removed
"To me, it's being patriotic, and it shows that I served," the veteran told FOX 4.

The board says the decals are advertisements that violate HOA rules, and must be covered or removed.

Otherwise, the homeowners association for The Woodlands II on The Creek --- where Larimore has lived for eight years --- says in a letter it will tow the car at Larimore's expense. The board also threatens to fine him $50 for any future incident.

Larimore says the decals, ranging from the Marine emblem to Semper Fi slogans, aren't advertisements for anything. "You can't buy freedom," he reasoned.

Some neighbors are outraged.

"That is his identity," said neighbor Mary Castagna. "He goes to a lot of the veteran meetings, and it means a lot to him. Everyone else agrees with it; it doesn't bother anybody."

"He's in the Marines, and he's proud of it, and I don't blame him," said neighbor Paul Hardy. "If I'd gone through what he's gone through, I'd be kind of proud of it myself."

The letter from the board states you can't have any form of advertisement anywhere on your car on your property. FOX 4 cameras spotted bumper stickers for political parties, health causes, and other non-commercial interests on the property as well.

One board member said he was unaware the HOA presidents sent the letter and did not know of any issue with Larimore's vehicle.

"I will be looking into it," said board member Art Bradford. "I didn't know anything about this. I haven't seen this."

The board president was out of town and unavailable. The condo management company did not want to comment.

You don't have to be crazy to have authority over others in America, but it definitely improves the likelihood that you will.

I absolutely hate Condo Commandos. I'm living in a condo right now where there's an association (although there's only 8 units) and the President is a HUGE a-hole. I've gotten into it with her so many times about mundane stuff and it turns out that she lets the others who live in the building do it.

Regardless, his situation is ABOVE and BEYOND what's happening with me. I'm borderline thinking of suing for discrimination but in his case, he's got a much more stronger case than I do.

Best of luck to him.

What a crock!

...and if someone has a satelite TV service with a name in the antenna then it's illegal advertising, or a license plate frame on the car, or windows with name brands showing in the wall of the house, or holiday lights with a name on them, or a cross or holiday tree in the window, or a draidle (sp?) or other ornament on the lawn, or spells out a word with the flowers in the garden or or or...! What a crock!

The story was on our news here tonight and a lot of people called in really ticked off. Guess we need to contact the Home owners asssciation and let them knbow how we feel. First the lady with the American flag and now this. It is getting out of hand.

how freakin rediculous. stupid people in this country are pissing me off. this is a reason our country is in so much trouble... it's no longer "allowed" to be a patriot.

I had to deal with so many of these Condo boards when I owned my insurance agency and had the associations insured. Dealing with them was almost always a nightmare. Little people who suddenly have control over other's lives...bah. I hope they follow up and he sues the crap out of them for violating his freedom of speech.

The regulation against advertizing is only with the advertizing is on an automobile parked on premises, so a DBS antenna would not be affected.

I saw the story on Fox and they said the President of the HOA was away for the week and could not be contacted. They showed lots of other cars just within range of the Good Marine's minivan and there were breast cancer ribbons and American flags and Obama/Biden bumper stickers let's see them threaten to tow any of those vehicles for having advertizing on their cars..

No advertising at all? So license plate frames from the dealer are also illegal?

I saw the story on Fox and . . . there were breast cancer ribbons and American flags and Obama/Biden bumper stickers

So the label/sticker/emblem advertising the dealership installs on their cars to advertise themselves is also verboten! And unless EVERYone with Obama/Biden stickers, Breast Cancer, Flags of any stripe, "My Honor Student Can Kick Your Honor Student's Ass" stickers, whatever...unless they're ALL required to go, the man has a case for being singled out.

Bet if he had Gay Rights shit on his car they wouldn't have done a thing.

The regulation against advertizing is only with the advertizing is on an automobile parked on premises, so a DBS antenna would not be affected.

I saw the story on Fox and they said the President of the HOA was away for the week and could not be contacted. They showed lots of other cars just within range of the Good Marine's minivan and there were breast cancer ribbons and American flags and Obama/Biden bumper stickers let's see them threaten to tow any of those vehicles for having advertizing on their cars..

If they are going to tow any it should be the ones with the Obana/Biden stickers.

Methinks his presidency is about to end.

In all fairness, it sounds like the neighbors, as well as the other board members, were totally unaware of this. Sounds like one ***hole with delusions of power.

Incidentally, I support not only his right to his beloved Corp. emblems, but also the right of someone to have "Gay Rights s**t", or anti-abortion stickers, or pro-choice stickers, or even "Oba.....

:bad:

....sorry about that. Even "Obama/Biden" stickers on their car. I don't have to agree with what they are saying to agree with their right to say it.

For me, the most important part of my second amendment right is the way it protects my first amendment right.

Last edited:
"FREEDOM HAS A TASTE THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW"
This sounds like a group of people who think the First Amendment only applies to them, if it's not their view point, then they figure they can take whatever course of action they deem necessary to oppose the action they detest.As a Former Marine , I have gotten a few looks/ comments about my service to this country. You will find no other service that is held in such high regard by those who chose it. There are no ex- MARINES. We area proud bunch and do not mind saying so or displaying our emblem on any and everything we own. If this HOA can't get past this First Amendment infringement then give 'em hell. We all earned the right to be Marine, it's a damn site better than being a board member for a HOA. Ronald Reagan's quote is my favorite one. " Some people spend their entire lives wondering if they made a difference. Marine's don't have that problem".
Semper Fi Sir.

In all fairness, it sounds like the neighbors, as well as the other board members, were totally aware of this. Sounds like one ***hole with delusions of power.

Incidentally, I support not only his right to his beloved Corp. emblems, but also the right of someone to have "Gay Rights s**t", or anti-abortion stickers, or pro-choice stickers, or even "Oba.....

....sorry about that. Even "Obama/Biden" stickers on their car. I don't have to agree with what they are saying to agree with their right to say it.

For me, the most important part of my second amendment right is the way it protects my first amendment right.

and that is what makes.... or used to make america america!

Not so fast!!!

We all earned the right to be Marine, it's a damn site better than being a board member for a HOA.

Apparently, you are unaware of the special skill and training required for the HOA Prez to perform this particular "long Range Recon Patrol". Fully half of his morning was spent at the Kwik-E-Mart stocking up on snacks and soda for his reconnaissance, and he had to go to three places to establish a dependable supply chain in order to secure the requisite amount of beef jerky.

Afterward, he spent literal MINUTES in a highly skilled patrol of the perimeter of the HOA property. After spotting the the "insurgent style" stickers on the enemy vehicle, he actually had to summon the courage to draft a letter! Boy, I bet that silly marine was glad that the HOA Prez sent a letter and didn't actually knock on his door. He is a pink beret, ya know.

Besides, do you not realize how expensive his back-up was? He hired the freakin' Mall Ninja, for god's sake! At overtime rates! Do you understand how expensive minimum wage times 1.5 really is?

After all, who do these "Marine" guys think they are, anyway? It's not like they spend their entire career in intensive training planning for the worst. They don't sweat and bleed in an effort to ensure that I can freely drive my fat butt over to Krispy Kreme every other day and eat a dozen in peace. It is not like they die every single day, in both peacetime and wartime, to protect my life and the lives of those that I love. It's not like they willingly set aside their own personal liberty so that I don't have to.

What's that you say? :confused:

Oh, that is EXACTLY what they do?

Whoops, my bad. :no:

In all seriousness, a big thanks to all of our beloved Marines, and all the other sailors, soldiers, flyboys, and coasties who tuck us in at night and watch our backs all day.
:biggrin:

....sorry about that. Even "Obama/Biden" stickers on their car.

As do I, BB. My point was to show where the priorities lay...that one person's Rights, even given years of sacrifice and commitment to the Country, were held in more esteem...or, perhaps, more PC fear...than another's.

My mother taught me many years ago to "Live, and Let Live". I try to do that, but I expect the same consideration in return.

Apparently, you are unaware of the special skill and training required for the HOA Prez to perform this particular "long Range Recon Patrol". Fully half of his morning was spent at the Kwik-E-Mart stocking up on snacks and soda for his reconnaissance, and he had to go to three places to establish a dependable supply chain in order to secure the requisite amount of beef jerky.

Afterward, he spent literal MINUTES in a highly skilled patrol of the perimeter of the HOA property. After spotting the the "insurgent style" stickers on the enemy vehicle, he actually had to summon the courage to draft a letter! Boy, I bet that silly marine was glad that the HOA Prez sent a letter and didn't actually knock on his door. He is a pink beret, ya know.

Besides, do you not realize how expensive his back-up was? He hired the freakin' Mall Ninja, for god's sake! At overtime rates! Do you understand how expensive minimum wage times 1.5 really is?

After all, who do these "Marine" guys think they are, anyway? It's not like they spend their entire career in intensive training planning for the worst. They don't sweat and bleed in an effort to ensure that I can freely drive my fat butt over to Krispy Kreme every other day and eat a dozen in peace. It is not like they die every single day, in both peacetime and wartime, to protect my life and the lives of those that I love. It's not like they willingly set aside their own personal liberty so that I don't have to.

In all seriousness, a big thanks to all of our beloved Marines, and all the other sailors, soldiers, flyboys, and coasties who tuck us in at night and watch our backs all day.
thanks for correcting my error in judgment. i did not know it took that much training to be a POS.:sarcastic:

thanks for correcting my error in judgment. i did not know it took that much training to be a POS.:sarcastic:

$10 says that the HOA backpedals furiously.

The VFW, American Legion, Marine Corps Association, Disable American Veterans and many other organizations would probably support any legal action, and they have much deeper pockets than any HOA.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back