Did you ever wonder why, with rifle matches,

trainor

Banned
The 10 ring is 8-10" wide at 200-300 yds, but then it's 20" wide at 400-500 yds? :) I mean, do men or deer suddenly get 5x as much surface area, just cause you are shooting at them from farther away, or what? An 8" diameter circle has a 4" radius, which is 16 when squared, x 3.14, is 50 square inches of surface area.. A 20" circle has a 10" radius, squared is 100, x 3.14 is 314 square inches.

Everything about the long range matches, from the wind flags to the spotter shots to the large, black bulls on white backgrounds to the numbers on the targets (so yoou don't shoot a nice score on the next guy's target) is intended to help you kid yourself about what range you can be effective at, when in the field.

Granted, you get to have a scope and a bipod, which aint allowed in the matches, but when you go prone, most of the time, you can't see the target. :) So the best firiing position that you can count upon arranging, in the field, is sitting with the rifle rested across your backpack. Also, while you can use bthp match bullets on men, they don't expand in flesh, so they are inhumane on animals, and softpoint hunting ammo is not nearly as accurate as those match rds.

Bullets take time to travel 1200 ft, guys. about 1/2 second, with the fastest big game loads available. It' really easy to take a step in 1/2 second, and just 1/2 step means that you gut hit the animal. So long range shots at game best be taken only on animals that are bedded down, or the shot is being made by a jerk who doesn't care if he makes an animal suffer for 1/2 hour or more while he tries to find and finish the cripple.

As Jeff Cooper has said" You should not brag about making long shots in the field. Instead, you should apologize for not taking the time to get closer to your quarry."

I spaced paragraphs, and indented the first words, but this program won't accept such editing

Trainor, I am former LE and was Lead "Anti-Sniper" as we called it for three years.
There we would set up scenarios and I would have to lay in wait for hours on a target for the command to shoot.
We didn't have range finders and wind indicators etc we had to know our rifle and our limitations.
After going into private industry for 26 years I just didn't have time to shoot anymore.
Upon Retiring I got back into it and started shooting National Match, PPC, and observed some Bench Rest competition.
Like you I thought that the wind flags, spotter scopes, scopes on Handguns, barrel weights, harmonic gizmo's etc had nothing to do with practical combat shooting. Even shooting Trap and Skeet competitively have only a little to do with actual hunting.
Once I got past that I found that these guys are just like golfers. They are shooting for enjoyment, competition, and against themselves.
Once I got past the self-defense part of I too put a Red Dot on my S&W Model 27. Shooting with 60 year old eyes off hand at 50 feet has absolutely nothing to do with a combat situation. Even our PPC Shoots with scoped pistols and revolvers, special holsters speed loaders etc do not resemble the old Police qualification and training I received. They also deduct 10 points if you shoot with a scoped handgun.
So so answer your question, Yes I did wonder why.
These guys and gals are enjoying the sport and science of shooting in a competitive environment. They are (at least the older guys) also smart enough to know that shooting a rifle bench rest is not about hitting the bulls eye in preparation for killing. The are using their knowledge, skill and science to put the bullet through the same hole in the bulls eye, for satisfaction, bragging rights and perhaps a 10 dollar trophy.

and every last one of them DELUDES himself into "thinking" that he is adequately prepared to defend himself, fight in a war, etc. :)

Whatever.......
YOU asked a question, I gave an answer.
You obviously know more than anyone else on the forum because you then answer your own question.
So I guess that every person that plays golf DELUDES themselves into thinking they are prepared to compete on a professional tour.
I thought your question was about taking a long ethical shot whilst hunting.
Now you are talking about "being adequately prepared to defend himself, fight in a war".
I hope you are not one of those guys that dream about shooting it out with a bad guy or a Troll.

Trainor, you go from taking about competition shooting, to hunting to training for war. Different scenarios entirely. As golocxr stated, playing golf doesn't make you a pro. Hell, even hunting doesn't truely prepare you to defend yourself or fight in a war. Haven't seen bambi shoot back yet, but I don't hunt in your neck of the woods. The situation changes drastically when the target is targeting you at the same time.

Competition shooting is a different shooting group, see it for what it is. If you don't like it, that's fine, but don't put it down just because it isn't what you 'train' for.

Why does everything have to be about combat? Can't people just have a good time?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with golocx in talking about longrange shooters. They are in it for bragging rights because what they spend on a completely custom rifle in no way justifies the means of what they get out of it. In the link to follow I found the correct dimensions for the different scoring rings on various longrange targets. I shoot manly service rifle (M1 Garand) and can barely break 375 on a good day with it at 200 yards. It's not as easy as it looks.

NRA Highpower/Service Rifle Target Sizes - M14 Forum

.2 100yd Targets
(a) NRA No. SR-I Reduction of the SR Target for use at 100 yards to
simulate the 200-yard stages of the National Match Course.
Aiming Black_(inches)_____Rings in White_(inches)
X ring--------1.35_______________8 ring------9.35
10 ring-------3.35_______________7 ring-----12.35
9 ring--------6.35_______________6 ring-----15.35
___________________________5 ring------18.35

(b) NRA No. SR-21 Reduction of the SR-3 target to simulate the
300-yard stage of the National Match Course at 100 yards.
Aiming Black-(inches)----Rings in White--(inches)
X ring---------0.79 __________ 7 ring---------8.12
10 ring--------2.12 _________ 6 ring---------10.12
9 ring---------4.12 __________ 5 ring---------12.12
8 ring---------6.12

(c) NRA No. MR-31 Reduction of the MR-I target to simulate the
600-yard stage of the National Match Course at 100 yards.
Aiming Black--(inches)--Rings in White--(inches)
X ring----------.75 ___________6 ring---------7.75
10 ring--------1.75__________ 5 ring---------9.75
9 ring---------2.75
8 ring---------3.75
7 ring---------5.75

4.3 200 Yard Targets
(a) No. SR Military "Target, Rifle, Competition, Short Range."
Aiming Black-(inches)--Rings in White-(inches)
X ring--------3.00__________ 8 ring--------19.00
10 ring-------7.00 __________ 7 ring--------25.00
9 ring-------13.00 __________ 6 ring--------31.00
_______________________ 5 ring--------37.00

(b) NRA No. SR-42-Reduction of the SR-3 target to simulate the 300-
yard stage of the National Match Course at 200 yards.
X ring---------1.90 _________ 7 ring--------16.56
10 ring--------4.56 _________ 6 ring--------20.56
9 ring---------8.56 _________ 5 ring--------24.56
8 ring---------12.56

(c) NRA No. MR-52-Reduction of the MR-1 target to simulate the
600-yard stage of the National Match Course at 200 yards.
X ring---------1.79 ________ 6 ring---------15.79
10 ring--------3.79 ________ 5 ring---------19.79
9 ring---------5.79
8 ring---------7.79
7 ring--------11.79

(d) NRA No. SR-5-Same scoring ring dimensions as No. SR Military
with scoring rings through 7 only; paper size 28 x 28 inches. For use
at 200 yards on ranges with small target frames.

4.4 300 Yard Targets
(a) NRA No. SR-3-Enlarged aiming black for use in 300-yard rapid fire
matches only. Scoring rings the same as the SR target, with the 8-ring
in the aiming black.
X ring--------3.00 _________ 7 ring--------25.00
10 ring-------7.00 _________ 6 ring--------31.00
9 ring-------13.00 _________ 5 ring--------37.00
8 ring-------19.00

(b) NRA No.MR-63 Reduction of the MR-1 target for use at 300 yards
to simulate the 600-yard stage of the National Match Course.
X ring---------2.85 ________ 6 ring---------23.85
10 ring--------5.85 ________ 5 ring---------29.85
9 ring---------8.85
8 ring--------11.85
7 ring--------17.85

4.5 500 Yard Target
(a) No. MR-"Target, Rifle, Competition Mid-Range." Used in 500-yard
matches only.
X ring--------6.00 _________ 7 ring----------36.00
10 ring------12.00 _________ 6 ring----------48.00
9 ring-------18.00 _________ 5 ring----------60.00
8 ring-------24.00

4.6 600 Yard Target
(a) MR-I1 target-Enlarged aiming black for use in 600-yard matches
only.
X ring---------6.00 __________ 6 ring--------48.00
10 ring-------12.00 _________ 5 ring--------60.00
9 ring--------18.00
8 ring--------24.00
7 ring--------36.00

4.7 800, 900, and 1000 Yard Target
(a) NRA No. LR--
X ring--------10.00 _________ 7 ring---------60.00
10 ring-------20.00 _________ 6 area--------72x72 square
9 ring--------30.00
8 ring--------44.00

One does not have to have a problem about something, on a personal level, just because he comments about its silliness, or whatever. Just look at all the commentary about various shootings in defense, law problems, etc.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back