Did you celebrate with gunfire?

2beararms

For, well about, ever there has been the long standing tradition of celebrating by firing weapons into the air. Over the years, here in the more urban areas it has not been unusual for someone to get hit with a falling bullet on New Years. Over the years, this practice has been more and more looked down upon by people who understand firearms ... and happily that number is growing. So my question is...

DID ANY OF OUR WELL TRAINED FORUM MEMBERS CELEBRATE BY FIRING FIREARMS INTO THE AIR?

I am not talking about the safely organized night shoots that some members were planning, just plain dangerous stuff.

BTW: I did NOT, but I cannot say that I was not tempted, and I am fully certain that some of the noise I was hearing was gunfire ... and I live in a city area.

I seriously doubt that anyone in this forum is stupid enough to fire willy-nilly in any direction.

Hmmm

"Not unusual".... really? I don't think I have ever heard of anyone ever being hit by a falling bullet that was fired into the air. Much less injured or killed. If you have a good example I would like to read about it.

I have heard a couple stories where houses have been hit by stray gunfire (not vertical falling bullets). The problem is if you fire into the air the bullet only falls at about 120mph unless fired at a low angle.

Link Removed

But, to answer your question no I don't fire into the air. I have been known to fire into the ground or at an angle that will keep the projectiles on my property.

Used to do it with a shotgun, no worry about damage, but, that was long ago when I was a lot younger and a whole lot stupider!!!

Just google search "New Years Bullet" and you will get pages of news reports. Way too many to post.

Just a few of the headlines.

-----------------
DECATUR, Ga. -- A 4-year-old boy was killed by a falling bullet from celebratory gunfire while attending a New Year’s Eve church service in Decatur.
-----------------
An Effingham County man got a rude awakening when a bullet fell from the sky, through his roof, and struck him in the leg as he was asleep in his bedroom shortly before midnight on new years eve.
-----------------
NEW YEAR'S SHOT KILLS.; Bullet Apparently Fired by Some Celebrator Entered Sleeping Man's Room.

January 2, 1910, Sunday
Page 3, 465 words
William Williams, 20 years old, of 320 East Fifty-second Street, died early yesterday in Flower Hospital with a bullet wound in his neck. The police think a bullet fired by some New Year's celebrator hit him as he lay in bed in his room. He was found unconscious there and taken to the hospital.

Wow! Rain shots, bullet rains or whatever it is called I only heard done from another country, not here in the US...thanks for the advice on what to look for...

"Not unusual".... really? I don't think I have ever heard of anyone ever being hit by a falling bullet that was fired into the air. Much less injured or killed. If you have a good example I would like to read about it.

I have heard a couple stories where houses have been hit by stray gunfire (not vertical falling bullets). The problem is if you fire into the air the bullet only falls at about 120mph unless fired at a low angle.

Link Removed

But, to answer your question no I don't fire into the air. I have been known to fire into the ground or at an angle that will keep the projectiles on my property.

Don't think I would want to be hit on the head with a piece of lead falling at a 120mph.

No way I would do that but
Lot's of immigrants in my area legal and illegal and just after midnight there was lots of gunfire which has become the norm here on many holidays but New Years is the worst.
Now I was ready to return fire if needed but no--I did not shoot

Pretty quiet in the Northwest Territories... Usually lots of left over fireworks, Not many this year..
Everybody safe too..

For, well about, ever there has been the long standing tradition of celebrating by firing weapons into the air. Over the years, here in the more urban areas it has not been unusual for someone to get hit with a falling bullet on New Years. Over the years, this practice has been more and more looked down upon by people who understand firearms ... and happily that number is growing. So my question is...

DID ANY OF OUR WELL TRAINED FORUM MEMBERS CELEBRATE BY FIRING FIREARMS INTO THE AIR?

I am not talking about the safely organized night shoots that some members were planning, just plain dangerous stuff.

BTW: I did NOT, but I cannot say that I was not tempted, and I am fully certain that some of the noise I was hearing was gunfire ... and I live in a city area.

while being a long time tradition of mine, this year I did not fire my gun at midnight. Close neighbor and friend has been sick and I didn't want to disturb her. MY tradition has always been to fire into SOFT dirt, NOT into the air.

When I lived in Huntington Beach, CA, a young boy in Santa Ana was hit on top of the head by a bullet that presumably came from the "nice people" in Santa Ana firing their weapons in the air on New Years.

Jes;105279 I have heard a couple stories where houses have been hit by stray gunfire (not vertical falling bullets). The problem is if you fire into the air the bullet only falls at about 120mph unless fired at a low angle. [B said:
Link Removed[/B]

Terminal velocity is to what you are referring. Check out the Mythbusters site. They did a story on it.

Yes, a bullet fired directly vertical will not reach a desending velocity fast enough to kill you due to friction and the bullet tumbling through the air. The problem is a bullet fired on less than a 90 degree angle, causing a trajectory, will not be effected by gravity enough to slow it down, and will therfore kill you. The military uses that technigue of "dropping" rounds (indirect fire) to hit enemy not visible because of obstructions.

I didn't, but is sounded like VietNam around here. I was listening to the scanner, and the "shots fired" calls were stacked up so high they eventually just quit resonding to them.

I built a small platform to launch some fireworks in my backyard. We shot most of the fireworks off before midnight because we were bored. At midnight, I shot most of the spent fireworks boxes off the platform. My wife laughted at me because on New Years Day I was using the press she got me for Christmas to reload the rounds that I shot the night before. My only response was, "What good is a bullet that has already been shot?"

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back