Did my first reloads today

KimberRB

After whating for all of the backorders from Cabalas to come in I got a chance to do my first reloads today. My 45c and 40c dies have not gotten here yet but I did get my 9mm dies so after the range today I came home and set up for the 9mm. Well after some adjusting I got my first 50 rounds done, and if I do say so myself I think they look pretty good. I will let you all know how they work after I get to the rang and try them out.
DSC01693.jpg

Nice setup! One thing on about the Lee press , double check the primers. I've found on mine that it tends not to seat the primers all the way. High primers can cause all kinds of feeding and firing problems. You can see if they are seated properly. One way is to see if they rock or set flush on a flat surface or place a straight edge across the primer to see if it's flush or below the primer pocket.

Ya I was looking at that and it seems to be setting good in the 9mm. But I will keep an eye on it.
Thanks

Congratulations RB. The LCT is a nice setup ain't it? As for the primer seating, for me that was a "feel" thing. After loading for a short while, I could tell if I pressed on the arm enough to seat the primers all the way. That will come to you. One word of advice: If you can find something to elevate your Lee Scale, it is very easy to read and work with when it is at your eye level.
A couple pix to show you what I mean:
3_WorkArea.jpg

I drilled and set some little dowels on the sides and back so the scale will stay right where I want it.
2Scale.jpg

I've seen others that have built a box to set their scale on and have storage underneath it. Whatever might work for you...

I was thinking of that. I will put up some shelving later and some pegboard as well. It’s a work in progress. As I can see I will need more room. I am going to mount a shotgun reloader too. I have had it for a lot of years but have gotten a way from it. On the up side I got out today and shoot my first 50 rounds of reloads. 9mm 125 gr. lead RN with 4.1 g of powder Accurate #2. They worked with out a flaw in my M&P. I am a happy camper.
And thanks for all of the advice guys it sure helps out.

RB, are you still sporting a big smile after that first successful round headed down range? :biggrin: Quite a satisfying feeling isn't it? I'm grinning just thinking about it. Good luck to you. I'm sure we'll hear more about your adventures.

Welcome to the world of reloading! Its very satisfing blowing the center out of a target with rounds you loaded.

Only part that sucks...... Son won't be getting any more free brass.

Nice setup! One thing on about the Lee press , double check the primers. I've found on mine that it tends not to seat the primers all the way. High primers can cause all kinds of feeding and firing problems. You can see if they are seated properly. One way is to see if they rock or set flush on a flat surface or place a straight edge across the primer to see if it's flush or below the primer pocket.

Red Hat is right. Do yourself a favor and buy a Lee Hand primer tool and the shell holders for the ammo you reload. Then if you have a high primer, it can be easily seated on in. As long as you don't slam the tool or have a piece of sharp debris on the punch surface you won't set off the primer. I have a Lee Loadmaster progressive that occasionally leaves a high one. A hand primer tool works great and is very inexpensive.

Good Luck!!!

that is right but on the up side you will not have to stay up till 3am loading 223 any more.:to_pick_ones_nose:

I have a question, I have been loading 45acp 230grn JRN with 100% success setting my COL at 1.275. Now I am trying JSWC 230grn and I am having feed problems. I have readjusted my COL to 1.24 which seems to help however I am not quite satisfied. Any suggestions ?

I have been setting mine at 1.250 for everything and I have had no problems at all. They work fine in both my Kimber and my XD. Did you check the length of the case?

Thanks for the info, I rechecked my lengths with success, all rounds fired perfectly with my Springfield 1911 TRP.

Nice set up. Haven't seen that much new gear in years. Good goin and welcome to the reloading fraternity. Lots of fun coming. Congrats

i am not near my reloading bench at the moment, and i do not have the oal in my head as far as oal. but i think you are getting on the long side as far as your AOL. I you can find a load in your reload data shorter in OAL, i think you will find the problem to go away.

Most likely it is not your case length, because 45 brass does not stretch so easily, and usaually it is your length of your round being to long that causes this problem. i have a few different 45s and i reload to the shorter G.I type 230gn load. Again look in your reload info and find one that is shorter, or take your caliper to a factory round and check the oal.

Make sure when choosing another recipe that your powder charge coinsides with the data as not to raise pressure.

Longer rounds being closer to the landing groves on the barrel for accuracy is nill in automatics. As feeding problems tend to occur with most pistols. This is more of a rifle bench shooting philosphy trying to get that little extra.
most of them are using bolt rifles that eliminate this problem.

Double check what i am about to say, but 2.250" keeps coming in my head as i am typing this, again do the homework as to this length.

How much would you spend reloading 1,000 rounds of 9mm? I wanted to start reloading shotgun but lead cost way to much better off buying rounds at walmart. But how is handgun reload supplies?

How much would you spend reloading 1,000 rounds of 9mm? I wanted to start reloading shotgun but lead cost way to much better off buying rounds at walmart. But how is handgun reload supplies?

I think the last time I calculated it, only a savings of $2-$3 per 50 rounds. Not that much considering the time and materials for cleaning brass, electricity to run tumbler, MY time reloading them all. The way I see it I would much rather buy 50 rounds for $11 than make them for $8.

The off calibers and larger calibers is where you save your money. The load I use for my .45 is at about 60% savings. Then .380 is about 50%. I could really cut down the cost if I made my own bullets, (melting lead), but thats just a little too advanced for me right now. My old man cast's his own bullets for .44 mag and I think he is in the 80% savings range.

I think the last time I calculated it, only a savings of $2-$3 per 50 rounds. Not that much considering the time and materials for cleaning brass, electricity to run tumbler, MY time reloading them all. The way I see it I would much rather buy 50 rounds for $11 than make them for $8.

The off calibers and larger calibers is where you save your money. The load I use for my .45 is at about 60% savings. Then .380 is about 50%. I could really cut down the cost if I made my own bullets, (melting lead), but thats just a little too advanced for me right now. My old man cast's his own bullets for .44 mag and I think he is in the 80% savings range.

I'd like to consider reloading, but don't really know if it would be worth it to me either. I shoot principally .357 Magnum, and have been saving my brass since I don't know when, so that's not an extra expense. But at what point do I say it's more effective to reload than to buy new? I've been able to get Prvi Partisan for about $19/box of 50 in 158 gr SJHP, but sometimes availability of .357 becomes limited. I also shoot 9MM in my semi-auto, and have brass for that as well. If I generally shoot about 100 rounds a weekend (about 50 of each), am I better off just buying, or is there a point where break even kicks in and I'm saving by re-loading?

I'd like to consider reloading, but don't really know if it would be worth it to me either. I shoot principally .357 Magnum, and have been saving my brass since I don't know when, so that's not an extra expense. But at what point do I say it's more effective to reload than to buy new? I've been able to get Prvi Partisan for about $19/box of 50 in 158 gr SJHP, but sometimes availability of .357 becomes limited. I also shoot 9MM in my semi-auto, and have brass for that as well. If I generally shoot about 100 rounds a weekend (about 50 of each), am I better off just buying, or is there a point where break even kicks in and I'm saving by re-loading?

I think if you are shooting that often then yes it is totally worth it. As long as you are willing to put the time into it. There is not a lot but there is a lot involved. You really get into it and find out what load is perfect for your gun and you can be much more consistent. It is fun finding the happy spot too. Try this powder with this bullet. Now try this powder.

And like G50AE said, its recycling. I like knowing that with a stockpile of all the essentials I can just remake my bullets until I run out instead of the bullets becoming scarce and hard to find.

Fair warning though, when and if you start, you will get hooked!

An amateur question, but is there a way to determine when a casing is good to use again? Again, I'm firing .357 Magnum and 9MM, with more of my reloading interest being the .357. How many times can a case be reused typically?

Nice setup, I'm jealous. This is when I wished I had a house somewhere that not only could I have a nice setup like that and reload, but could also shoot out back like many do. Nope. In the city in a apt complex. oh well.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back