Dicks Sporting Goods

Hey Guys,

Soo I went to Dicks to get a cleaning kit. Well when I got to the checkout, I was asked for my permit. I did not have it on me, and I asked "why do you need it for a cleaning kit". The clerk proceeded to tell me that purchasing ANYTHING firearm related required a permit. I then asked to speak to the manager who confirmed this. I was very annoyed with this. I can't believe that you need a permit for a cleaning kit. I eventually ended up getting the kit but after a long and frustrating ordeal. Anyone else have any issues with something like this?

Sounds like something Massachusetts or an anti-gun store manager implemented . :rolleyes:

What did the manager tell you was the reason for the requirement?

Last edited:
If it isn't state law (and I will be shocked if a cleaning kit is only purchasable with a permit) I cannot help but wonder if Dick knows his store manager is discouraging business?

Regardless, I would send the company a message that as a result of this incident you have discovered sevreal online alternatives fo both cleaning kits AND OTHER SPORTING GOODS for your future purchases.

That is about as stupid as you can get. There is one not to far from me that bought out another sporting goods store. The previous store carried hand guns and long guns. When Dicks took over they stopped selling hand guns. Sounds like they have a problem with the 2nd Amendment. I think I will try buying some cleaning equipment to see what happens.

Dicks

Well first of all you have to consider the name (I appologize to all those "Richards" out there) and that might be a clue. Seriously this sounds like store or maybe state specific. I buy ammo at Dicks all the time and have never been asked for any ID, permit or any other type of identification. I am in Minnesota but even in other states this should not be the case. Heck tell them you use the bore cleaner to get the gunk off your toothbrush or something.

On another Dicks note, they bought out a line of stores called Gallians (maybe spelled wrong) who used to have handguns as good as Cabelas or Gander. Once it became Dicks, no more handguns. Go figure.

Well first of all you have to consider the name (I appologize to all those "Richards" out there) and that might be a clue. Seriously this sounds like store or maybe state specific. I buy ammo at Dicks all the time and have never been asked for any ID, permit or any other type of identification. I am in Minnesota but even in other states this should not be the case. Heck tell them you use the bore cleaner to get the gunk off your toothbrush or something.

On another Dicks note, they bought out a line of stores called Gallians (maybe spelled wrong) who used to have handguns as good as Cabelas or Gander. Once it became Dicks, no more handguns. Go figure.

That was the store I was talking about. I could not remember their name.

might be something with the state you live in.. although that sounds way off to ask for a permit to buy a cleaning kit... I like dick's because they actually have sales on ammo sometimes and you can end up on some pretty good deals.

Dick's & Cleaning kit

There is no provision in MA State law that requires a permit for a gun cleaning kit. You are only required to show your permit when purchasing firearms or ammunition. Period. This is just an example of knuckleheads being ignorant of the law. I doubt it is even Dick's policy, only a local store thing. If you find anything written in their store policy, please post it for all to see. Personally, I only purchase gun related items from my local gun store. I have never been required to show my permit when purchasing holsters, bore snakes, gun rags, speed loaders or gun cases. I live in MA.

Surfcc

I realize that PRMA is one of the most gun unfriendly states in America, but even it can't be so bad as to require a permit for cleaning equipment. I would imagine that this was a policy implemented by the manager, which, unfortunately, he's free to do. If I were you, I would have taken my business elsewhere that day.

You should have told him you were buying it so that he could clean the sh*t out from between his ears. :laugh:

"ANYTHING firearm or ammo related needed a permit"? So, if You were to purchase...........Ear protection; Safety glasses; Book on Reloading; Belt; Flashlight etc. They would ask for a permit???!!! Glad You made the post on here so everyone can see what this particular store is doing/asking.
(need a Smiley with the propeller ontop of the hat....whizzzzzzzzzzzz)

I hate Dicks. However, I agree that they do have decent ammo sales if you buy buy the case. I do. I can usually get WWB for $7.99 a box when buying a ase on sale. That is about as good as it gets anymore. I have also been ale to buy my 20ga AA orSTS for $5.99 a box/case on sale. Pretty decent.

I buy enough ammo and spend enough money doing it that I get a $10 off coupon every 3-6 months. The kicker, you can't use it to buy ammo. IT"S THE ONLY THING I BUY THERE!

I get asked occasionally by the guy at the gun counter for my pistol license. There is no state law requiring it, even though they are adamant that there is. I have argued, but for the price, I am willing to take the abuse occasionally. I have walked out without ammo after berating the manager, but I will go back after their shift changes and buy it anyway.

I think you will find the reason Dick's as well as WalMart and others stopped selling hand guns at the start of Brady is because in the beginning rifles and shotguns were not required in background checks. A couple years later they were also included. Their decision to drop handguns was due to Government regulations and not because of anti-gun attitudes.
Now the Cleaning kit ordeal is just plain insane and probably a case of an uniformed, or maybe "over informed", clerk.

Last edited:
I think you will find the reason Dick's as well as WalMart and others stopped selling hand guns at the start of Brady is because in the beginning rifles and shotguns were not required in background checks. A couple years later they were also included. Their decision to drop handguns was due to Government regulations and not because of anti-gun attitudes.
Now the Cleaning kit ordeal is just plain insane and probably a case of an uniformed, or maybe "over informed", clerk.

Our Walmart in Lagrange, Ga has even stopped carrying long guns.:angry::frown::frown:

Dick's

My wife and I belong to a website called My3Cents.com. It is a site for people to post reviews about businesses and products, whether good or bad. Recently, there have been a numbers of complaints about Dick's, one involving removing spare spools from very expensive fishing reels, apparently so they can be sold separately for more money. I have not seen one favorable post about Dick's, so if it ever came down to a trip to Dick's or Cabela's, believe me, Cabela's gets my business. We have a good Cabela's location here in Lacey, where you can get everything from muzzle-loading lube to a Boston Whaler on a trailer.

Our Walmart in Lagrange, Ga has even stopped carrying long guns.:angry::frown::frown:

They announced that they were dropping gun sales in stores that it was not economically sound. All the big stores care about is one thing only and that's the bottom line. If it don't turn a profit or even a large enough profit, it's gone:angry: Unfortunately that's business. All the Walmarts and K-Marts around hear carry a good supply of rifles and shotguns as well as accessories and the Walmarts are a good place to buy handloading supplies. K-Mart did drop handgun ammo sales due to political pressure from the Brady Bunch which is why I shop Walmart and shun K-Mart unless they have something I want at a price I can't refuse. We all have to look at the bottom line occassionally. Stores like Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, etc. Have done a lot to influence the big box department stores on there decision to quit carrying guns, along with Government red tape and fear of BATFE "BULL".

Last edited:
They announced that they were dropping gun sales in stores that it was not economically sound. All the big stores care about is one thing only and that's the bottom line. If it don't turn a profit or even a large enough profit, it's gone:angry: Unfortunately that's business. All the Walmarts and K-Marts around hear carry a good supply of rifles and shotguns as well as accessories and the Walmarts are a good place to buy handloading supplies. K-Mart did drop handgun ammo sales due to political pressure from the Brady Bunch which is why I shop Walmart and shun K-Mart unless they have something I want at a price I can't refuse. We all have to look at the bottom line occassionally. Stores like Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, etc. Have done a lot to influence the big box department stores on there decision to quit carrying guns, along with Government red tape and fear of BATFE "BULL".

I did talk to one of the gentlemen in sporting goods. He said Walmart was only allowing stores in the top ten percent in sales to continue selling long guns.:smile::dirol:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back