Detail strip Glock?

Hey guys,

Why does Glock recommend end users (shooters) to only field strip?
I was amazed at how much better I was able to clean the weapon, and noticed some area's with a build up of residue which are otherwise unreachable by field stripping.

Any Glock armorers that can weigh in about why there is a course on this very simple process?

Are there any dangers to doing this that perhaps I haven't thought about? Other than losing parts..

Do any of you non-glock armorers do this on a regular basis? Why/Why Not?

There are a lot of fine details that you need to be aware of. Don't mix up the plastic and metal pins. I've seen cases where folks mixed up the trigger housing pin (plastic pin that holds the trigger housing in place) and the lock block pin (the pin that holds the lock block in place). Doing this can result in a major malfunction when the plastic pin gets eaten away. Another common problem is replacing the slide stop lever. If you don't put the pins back in the correct order, you could run into problems where your slide locks back after each shot. I've seen folks lose their firing pin safety spring and even put the recoil spring assembly in backwards.

There are reasons why manufacturers advise that end users perform only certain levels of maintenance. With something as important as a firearm, in which your life may depend on, I'd recommend getting the gun serviced only by an authorized and competent person.

Field stripping and cleaning as directed by the user manual is sufficient. Only reason to break the gun down any further would be to replace broken parts and do periodic inspections to prevent malfunctions.

gf

I agree, i'm no armorer. I was also very aware of the parts and laid out a white table cloth to work on, and also a piece of paper that designated where each part (including pins) came from. I don't see doing this on a regular basis, i've had it for quite a while and the thought of residue troubled my O.C.D (jk)

Thanks for the reply GF!

I agree, i'm no armorer. I was also very aware of the parts and laid out a white table cloth to work on, and also a piece of paper that designated where each part (including pins) came from. I don't see doing this on a regular basis, i've had it for quite a while and the thought of residue troubled my O.C.D (jk)

Thanks for the reply GF!

When reassembling the gun keep in mind as a "rule of thumb", that metal parts should be touching metal and plastic parts should be touching plastic.

Check your slide stop lever. Be sure that there's downward pressure as in pushing downwards onto the frame. If the spring tension feels weak or the lever is elevated off of the frame, you may have a problem and would need to reinstall the lever making sure the pins are installed in the proper order.

gf

Do any of you non-glock armorers do this on a regular basis? Why/Why Not?

I detail strip my Glocks after every range usage (or after a period of use as a carry pistol) to facilitate cleaning and, equally important, to inspect every part before the pistol goes back on carry duty.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back