Denny's "no guns allowed" signs seem to be working.

Let's be nice...

I guess I am just a wuss. I am more afraid of getting shot at during an armed robbery than I am civil litigation. If I am in the presence of known armed criminals and it doesn't endanger the public to do so, I am going to be the first one shooting.

It just seems like in most instances you would be too afraid to use it.

And that is how it should be - we should all be "afraid" to use our weapons. Better than being too anxious to use them.

At what point in a Denny's armed robbery do you perceive yourself pulling out your weapon and starting a gun battle?

The cash register is near the door. You are seated against the wall furthest from the cash register but still in sight of it. There are 3 dozen or more other patrons between you and the armed robbers.

Do you begin firing at them immediately from your seated area? Wait to see if the take the money and run? Rush toward the cash register with guns a blazing?

I guess I am just a wuss. I am more afraid of getting shot at during an armed robbery than I am civil litigation. If I am in the presence of known armed criminals and it doesn't endanger the public to do so, I am going to be the first one shooting.

You really should do yourself a favor and take some tactical shoot/don't shoot judgemental scenario training.....

And that is how it should be - we should all be "afraid" to use our weapons. Better than being too anxious to use them.

At what point in a Denny's armed robbery do you perceive yourself pulling out your weapon and starting a gun battle?

The cash register is near the door. You are seated against the wall furthest from the cash register but still in sight of it. There are 3 dozen or more other patrons between you and the armed robbers.

Do you begin firing at them immediately from your seated area? Wait to see if the take the money and run? Rush toward the cash register with guns a blazing?

Anyone with an ounce of common sense waits to see if they will take the money and run. 99% of the time they will.

It never ends does it? The longer I'm on gun forums the more I understand why the gum'mint is resistant to people being armed. It's enough to push any sane person towards the dark side.

I'm just saying, I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. The guy in the OP story did the right thing, up until the point he fired at the fleeing criminals.

nogods said:

At exactly the same point as the "superhero" in the OP's story did. When my life is threatened, and I can shoot without endangering innocent bystanders.

nogods said:

Wow. We went from a lone customer in a Denny's at 5:50 am to 3 dozen patrons between me and the criminals. Funny how you had to change the scenario into something completely different to justify your point. The 3 dozen customers between myself and the criminals changes the scenario entirely.

Rich_S said:
You really should do yourself a favor and take some tactical shoot/don't shoot judgemental scenario training.....

In the jobs that I have held in 27 years of military service, I guarantee I have had more tactical shoot/don't shoot training then you have any idea about. When your in the simulator, and you see exactly how fast a scenario goes from a person holding a gun, to a person shooting at you, you MIGHT understand where I am coming from, if you don't have your lawyer whispering in your ear, that is.

Dear Dennis,
I love the fact you have a "no guns" sign in your window. It's like a glowing masterpiece for me when I see it. It's kinda like when a shopper sees a "Sale" sign, just brings music to my ears. Please encourage other businesses to bring on the "no guns" idea, it make my life so much eazyer.
Sincerely, Your Next Robber Thug.
P.S. Word!

Naturally I'm anti "no gun" but thought that be a funny letter too.

In the jobs that I have held in 27 years of military service, I guarantee I have had more tactical shoot/don't shoot training then you have any idea about. When your in the simulator, and you see exactly how fast a scenario goes from a person holding a gun, to a person shooting at you, you MIGHT understand where I am coming from, if you don't have your lawyer whispering in your ear, that is.

This is the simulator that I use to teach these classes:

Link Removed

So in between swabbing the decks they taught you to open fire in Denny's if a robber comes in? Do yourself a favor and take some more training. You clearly need it. Look us up if you're in Mass. I'll give you a coupon....

Maybe Denny's would rather give the perps the money than have some superhero starting a gunfight.

Who is going to pay for all the damage done to the premises by the gun fight?

Just what the bad guys need, tacit approval for their activities.

"Hey, fellas, Denny's doesn't allow guns and has a policy of giving the money to robbers. THAT should give us the time to work on the customers too!"

To me an armed robber is just a murderer waiting to happen. I would prefer that it didn't "happen" on or near me and mine. Push comes to shove however, had my druthers.... perp is permanently removed from civil society. Ain't gonna happen in Denny's, apparently.

So, I'm content to let "nogods" hang out at Denny's, if it makes him feel more secure. We all have to "play out" our lives in whatever manner feels "right" to us. Me? I will respect Denny's decision on the matter and let them create a "safe house" for BGs and a false comfort zone for others. Needless to say, I will refuse to give business to corporate entities that refuse me my right to be able to protect myself should need arise. PERIOD!

GG

This is the simulator that I use to teach these classes:

Link Removed

So in between swabbing the decks they taught you to open fire in Denny's if a robber comes in? Do yourself a favor and take some more training. You clearly need it. Look us up if you're in Mass. I'll give you a coupon....

I'll pass, thank you for the kind offer. I would prefer to take a self-defense course that teaches how to keep oneself from getting killed by criminals with guns by some other method other than tossing a wallet at them and praying its enough to keep them from shooting. I believe in the power of prayer and Smith and Wesson - just sometimes not in that order.

I'll pass, thank you for the kind offer. I would prefer to take a self-defense course that teaches how to keep oneself from getting killed by criminals with guns by some other method other than tossing a wallet at them and praying its enough to keep them from shooting. I believe in the power of prayer and Smith and Wesson - just sometimes not in that order.

That's unfortunate for you because that's exactly what we teach. The first scenario we introduce is a bank robbery. The armed BG comes in and demands money from the teller. The student is in line at the bank. Cowboys like yourself shoot the BG. As they're standing there puffing out their chests and high fiving their buddies the BG's accomplice opens up with an AK from the back of the room and kills the cowboy. Of course if Mr. tough guy cowboy doesn't take action the BG grabs the cash and runs. Now- what was it that he was after in the first place?

Here in NV, I can shoot in self defense if I feel that my life, or the life of anyone in my presence is in danger. Would I shoot? Depends on the totality of the circumstances. The VERY last thing I'm interested in is being a hero, but someone pointing a gun at a cashier in my local diner more than meets my legal burden for firing. Just because the BG isn't pointing his gun at me doesn't mean he can't do it in a split second. Just because he takes the cash and runs doesn't mean he won't shoot me through a window to keep me from getting a good look at him as he's fleeing.

As long as I feel there is a potential for death or great bodily harm, I'm probably going to act. But like I said, it depends on the totality of circumstances.

That's unfortunate for you because that's exactly what we teach. The first scenario we introduce is a bank robbery. The armed BG comes in and demands money from the teller. The student is in line at the bank. Cowboys like yourself shoot the BG. As they're standing there puffing out their chests and high fiving their buddies the BG's accomplice opens up with an AK from the back of the room and kills the cowboy. Of course if Mr. tough guy cowboy doesn't take action the BG grabs the cash and runs. Now- what was it that he was after in the first place?
Well thank Gawd that's what BG's always do, grab the cash and run. You can die on your knees, begging for your life, I prefer to better my chances for survival by relying on my weapon than the compassion of a bad guy.

Hey, in your simulator, is there a way for the good guy to save everyone in the bank by dispatching BOTH BG's? If there isn't, you're class is utterly useless. If you're training people to lay down, I sure as he## wouldn't want to take your course. You should teach how to overcome progressively harder situations. I'd ask for my money back if the first thing you want me to learn is to lay down and die. When a BG is in a bank, pointing a gun at anyone, everyone in the bank is in grave danger.

Well thank Gawd that's what BG's always do, grab the cash and run. You can die on your knees, begging for your life, I prefer to better my chances for survival by relying on my weapon than the compassion of a bad guy.

Hey, in your simulator, is there a way for the good guy to save everyone in the bank by dispatching BOTH BG's? If there isn't, you're class is utterly useless. If you're training people to lay down, I sure as he## wouldn't want to take your course. You should teach how to overcome progressively harder situations. I'd ask for my money back if the first thing you want me to learn is to lay down and die. When a BG is in a bank, pointing a gun at anyone, everyone in the bank is in grave danger.

So it's a MUCH better idea to open fire in a Denny's then? You miss or only wound him. BG opens fire and kills several innocent people. How would that end for you? Also, please quote where I suggest to get on your knees and beg. Of course there's a way to shoot both BG's. You have to be paying attention and be able to hit him with a head shot because he's behind the cover of a desk. Most people think it's over once they kill the guy at the teller window. Some get a shot off but can't hit him from behind cover. Some do hit him but it's rare. For every robbery you can show me where a BG went in shooting and an armed civilian saved the day I can show you thousands where they came in brandishing a gun and ran after they got the money- which is all they wanted in the first place. Also please post links to the training that instructs people to open fire on the BG in a scenarion like the Denny's robbery. Thanks

http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/6.0/Gun-Facts-v6.0-screen.pdf

Pages 19-21 contain very enlightening information. Especially this little tidbit on Page 21:

Fact: The probability of serious injury from an attack is 2.5 times greater for women
offering no resistance than for women resisting with guns. Men also benefit from using
guns but the benefits are smaller, 1.4 times more likely to receive a serious injury.

The statistics (from the Department of Justice in this case) show that I am 1.4 times more likely to receive a serious injury in a criminal attack if I offer no resistence than if I resist by using a gun. Good thing I am not a woman, "give them what they want" would increase my chances of serious injury by 2.5 times.

So much for the "give them what they want" theory.

If BG starts shooting bullets have no respect for age or anything else, if my family is having lunch three boys and wife, that is five of us armed. Dennys is laywer driven, my family is not, I will protect them.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back