Deli Owner's Condition Stable After Robbery, Shooting

KimberPB

I thought it you give them what they want they will leave without hurting you. Hope the clerk recovers fully and thinks about arming himself!

Link Removed

St. Pete Deli Owner's Condition Stable After Robbery, Shooting

ST. PETERSBURG - St. Petersburg deli owner Narendra Patel, shot during a robbery Monday night, remains in stable condition, according to his son.

Police today were still searching for two men they say shot Patel, 53, and robbed Star Deli Food Store, 2451 Fifth Ave. N., about 10:30 p.m. Monday.

Patel's son, Jay Patel, said this morning that his father is in stable condition at Bayfront Medical Center after he was shot in his hand and arm during the robbery.

Police said two men came into the store demanding money, shot the clerk and fled the scene.
Narendra Patel's nephew, Sonny Patel, said he watched the surveillance video and saw that his uncle was shot after he gave money to the men.

This was the second time in six years Patel has been shot during a robbery. In 2002, he was shot in his right lung during a robbery, his son said. Two men were later convicted of the crime.

Third time might me the charm. I think I would do something to improve the odds starting with arming myself.

Third time might me the charm. I think I would do something to improve the odds starting with arming myself.

I would have armed myself before the first time, but that’s just me. You would think he DEFINATLY would have armed himself after the first time. I feel bad for him, getting shot two times on two different occasions. Hopefully he now learns he needs to be armed

I hope he recovers fully and that there is no third time. If there is his chances would defiantly improve if he armed himself. What a surprise. Criminals are not polite. They do not follow the rules. Giving them what they want does not insure your safety.

Deli owner's condition

My heart goes out to the deli owner, but the fallacy of the advice that law enforcement gives is to blame, really. I often had to give the same advice, even though I disagreed with it with every fiber of my being. That was the official line, and you had to hold to it. The conventional wisdom is give the BG anything he wants and he will go away. That may work with a professional criminal, but how many pros are pulling stick-ups of delis? No, there you are dealing with stupid amateurs who believe you can identify them, so they lose nothing by killing you. While I often see people in this site and others talk about the futility of drawing your own weapon when the BG has a gun on you, I was taught all about 'lag time.' I was taught you CAN successfully draw and fire your weapon before the BG can pull the trigger. The deli owner could have a weapon near the cash drawer, and the BG, after demanding money, would expect the deli owner or clerk to open the register. The owner could pull out his weapon and fire it in less than a quarter of a second with practice, while the BG takes at least 3/4 of a second to recognize the danger and react, giving the owner a full half second advantage. Of course fear and any other detriment to the BG's brain, like drugs or alcohol will increase his lag time, adding to the owner's advantage. You see, when you make your move, you know what you are going to do and when, the BG doesn't. I am sure many will argue with me, but experiments with red-handled weapons proved to me it can be done.

A lot of these guys are crack-heads or junkies who are nervous in the first place, and have no compunctions about blasting away even when they get what they want. IMNSHO, this store owner has 3 choices: get out of the business, move to another less-dangerous location, or arm himself. Obviously, giving the crooks what they want is not going to prevent him from being shot, and I'd rather go down shooting than to stand there while someone executes me. And if he's a pacifist, well, dead pacifists don't tell tales.

The owner gives them the $ and He still gets shot?! You own a business where there have been numerous thefts, been shot at before........time to Arm yourself.
I just hope He recovers well and thinks about his next move.

I hate to say it but this is Florida. Unless he's a prohibited person, go down to the corner gun store and buy yourself one. If you don't have the mindset to carry one, surround yourself with customers who do legally carry.

I vaguely recall from the PDO days of a VA restaurant that gave a special discount to legally armed patrons; LEOs and non-LEOs. They served alcohol, so armed patrons except for undercover LEOs had to carry openly. This robbery foolishness didn't happen there. A majority of the time the patrons gave the discount to the server as an addition to their tip. Inexpensive security or I should say a deterrent factor.

Stupidity; doing the same thing over and over again expecting the same results.

Last edited:
If this guy doesn't want to arm himself, he should at least invest in some body armor. If I were in his shoes and got shot the first time, I would have made some changes to seriously reduce the chances of it happening again the second time. :triniti:

gf

If this guy doesn't want to arm himself, he should at least invest in some body armor. If I were in his shoes and got shot the first time, I would have made some changes to seriously reduce the chances of it happening again the second time. :triniti:

gf

Yup....I would of strapped on a holster and started carrying

You know I don't live that far from this place. Maybe I can get some free dinner if I agree to hang around a bit after I finish eating. lol

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back