Delaware resident/ Florida Non-resident CCW

Steven8092

Good morning, All. First off, Im a US veteran and able to get my CCW from the state of Florida with out jumping through many hoops. My question is, since I am a Delaware resident, with Delaware Drivers license, will I be breaking the law carrying a gun with a Florida CCW? I have checked the laws and have found no reference to this exact question.:unsure:

How did you get a non-resident Fl. CWP without already having a resident cwp from your home state.?
That is usually a big no-no.

You can carry in Deleware with a fl ccw and be legal. you do not have to have a permit from your home state.

Just remember to check the reciprocity agreements. Florida and DE both have them posted online.

I am a resident of NJ with a FL non-resident CCL and PA just changed the reciprocity agreement affective 2/4/13. No notice to license holders-- it just became a felony overnight to be doing what I've done for years.

Always check the reciprocity as they can and DO change without notice.

A couple corrections. You may not carry with a Florida ccw in Delaware if you are a Delaware resident. This IS in the reciprocity law for Delaware.
Also Florida does not issue a non resident ccw. They make no distinction and you do not have to have a home state ccw to get one

This is also true for Several other states such as Utah Arizona Virginia and New Hampshire

The Pennsylvania Attorney General order regarding Florida goes into effect in June

You need to check the laws in the state you are traveling in. A great site is Link Removed

I live in North Carolina. NC recognizes ALL other states resident CHP's.

However, there was a bill introduced recently that would make non-resident permits from other states invalid. In other words, if you DL and CHP have the same address and issuing state, you are OK, if not, the CHP is not valid. This has not been made into law yet, so all other states are still allowed in NC. Come on down!

Thank you for your military service!

My mistake apvbguy.
I should mention I'm in S.C. and we do not issue non-resident unless they have S.C. property. I should have checked the carry map. I'm surprised at our stand.
Here is the statement on the map in ref. to S.C.

•For a non-resident, South Carolina is not a shall-issue state, since they require property ownership for non-residents.

I don't think a Florida permit is valid in Deleware for a Deleware resident. This is Delewares reciprocity code:

CHAPTER 5. SPECIFIC OFFENSES Subchapter VII. Offenses Against Public Health, Order and Decency

§ 1441. License to carry concealed deadly weapons.

(j) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Code to the contrary, the State of Delaware shall give full faith and credit and shall otherwise honor and give full force and effect to all licenses/permits issued to the citizens of other states where those issuing states also give full faith and credit and otherwise honor the licenses issued by the State of Delaware pursuant to this section and where those licenses/permits are issued by authority pursuant to state law and which afford a reasonably similar degree of protection as is provided by licensure in Delaware.

Also Attorney General's webpage:
Delaware Department of Justice - Attorney Generals Office

Pursuant to 11 Del.C. ' 1441(j), as of July 11, 2003, Delaware law allows residents of other states who have been issued a concealed deadly weapon license or permit by certain other states to lawfully carry concealed deadly weapons in Delaware if the state that issued the permit or license also recognizes Delaware's concealed deadly weapons licenses, and if Delaware's Attorney General also determines that the concealed deadly weapons licensing or permit laws in the issuing state "afford a reasonably similar degree of protection as is provided by licensure in Delaware." The Attorney General has determined that only states that require proof of training in firearms safety as a part of their licensing or permit process can meet this requirement.

Finally, an out of state permit would not exempt you from the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act prohibition of carrying loaded firearms within 1000' of a school (18 USC 922(q))

My mistake apvbguy.
I should mention I'm in S.C. and we do not issue non-resident unless they have S.C. property. I should have checked the carry map. I'm surprised at our stand.
Here is the statement on the map in ref. to S.C.

•For a non-resident, South Carolina is not a shall-issue state, since they require property ownership for non-residents.
considering the guy specifically mentioned DE and FLA how this mistake happened is beyond me,however I won't beat this horse anymore except to say that people need to be aware that what is the law where they live may not be the law where someone else lives.

I don't think a Florida permit is valid in Deleware for a Deleware resident. This is Delewares reciprocity code:

[/url]

Also Attorney General's webpage:
Delaware Department of Justice - Attorney Generals Office

Finally, an out of state permit would not exempt you from the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act prohibition of carrying loaded firearms within 1000' of a school (18 USC 922(q))
I believe that you are correct, a DE resident needs a DE permit to carry concealed

I know this to be true as well...if you are a Delaware resident then you must have Delaware CCW. There is a possibility that you can establish residency in ANY of the 49 other states, get a Florida CCW and travel in Delaware and be legit. I asked that question a moment ago, so awaiting expert answer.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back