Defensive carry.com sold to Canadian conglomerate

Eidolon

Alter Kocker
Anyone else heard that Defensivecarry.com has been sold to a Canadian company named Vertical Scope?

Changes to forum management

My name is Helena, I work for VerticalScope.com. VerticalScope recently acquired defensivecarry.com and will be taking over the management duties of the forum. Your familiar moderator and admin team will be the same people helping with the day to day forum management. We will primarily manage the technical functions of the site and support the mod team. Maintaining continuity as well as the spirit of the site is important to us. This means that little about the site will change for you the user while we continue to grow the community.

Over the next few days you will notice my team mates Phil and Kyle who will be helping me with the site announcements as well as members of our support team (they will introduce themselves in the site issues section). While we get to know the landscape of the forum and how things work we will be on hand to answer questions and get to know the unique needs of this community.

I will be working closely with the Admin/Mod team on ways we can help improve the order of things here and raise the level of your experience on defensivecarry.com.

If you have questions please let me know, I will do my best to answer you all as quickly and thoroughly as I can.

-Helena

Anyone else heard that Defensivecarry.com has been sold to a Canadian company named Vertical Scope?

"If you have questions please let me know, I will do my best to answer you all as quickly and thoroughly as I can.

-Helena"

Yes, Helena, I do have a question. What does a Canadian company know about any carry issues, much less limited only to defensive carry issues?

ETA:
Link to where the quote in the OP came from.

Lots of direct questions similar (and not so) to the one I asked above. Helena seems to be handling them well. I've been registered there since.... well.... now that I look, the Profile page doesn't give a join date (that I could find at least), but my last (logged in) visit was in 2014. If Canadian ownership eventually does what one might expect it to do - kill the essence of the site - then it won't be any different for me than it has been since first registering. It is a weird bit of news though.

Blues

"If Canadian ownership eventually does what one might expect it to do - kill the essence of the site - then it won't be any different for me than it has been since first registering.
Blues

Some of us like to associate with grown folks every so often

i've been registered there since.... Well.... Now that i look, the profile page doesn't give a join date (that i could find at least), but my last (logged in) visit was in 2014. If canadian ownership eventually does what one might expect it to do - kill the essence of the site - then it won't be any different for me than it has been since first registering.

Blues

Ditto.

Some of us like to associate with grown folks every so often

And some of us grown folks hope that you learn something every so often.

~ Leftists Always Manipulate Language. Never Let Them Set The Terms In A Debate ~​

Seems that Vertical Scope has obtained a dozen or so firearms related forums, to add to their stable of 600ish properties.

In the near term, I'd expect to see changes in the advertising on those sites (a couple of which I frequent). Long term? Who knows.

I liked Defensivecarry and spent a lot of time there. Then there was a flap about Verticalscope buying another forum I was on, where VS's new overlords got downright rude. And then they did the same at Defensivecarry.

I've been on boards that got sold; it happens. Usually the new owners are some kind of marketing company. They're usually up-front about why they bought the forum and don't mess much with a good thing.

Some research on Verticalscope, though, showed repeated pattern of events. Negotiations with the site owner in secret, a quiet announcement by "Philip" or "Helen", surly responses to questions, then locking any threads about the buyout. Regular as clockwork. Sneaky and totalitariam. Yeah buddy.

I figured if I was going to be generating "content" for someone's hit counter, I ought to be paid too... but I doubt Verticalscope would see it that way. So I waved goodbye to three forums where I was a fairly heavy user, and wandered off to find some new groups of people to annoy. [newguy wave] Howdy y'all.

I liked Defensivecarry and spent a lot of time there. Then there was a flap about Verticalscope buying another forum I was on, where VS's new overlords got downright rude. And then they did the same at Defensivecarry.

I've been on boards that got sold; it happens. Usually the new owners are some kind of marketing company. They're usually up-front about why they bought the forum and don't mess much with a good thing.

Some research on Verticalscope, though, showed repeated pattern of events. Negotiations with the site owner in secret, a quiet announcement by "Philip" or "Helen", surly responses to questions, then locking any threads about the buyout. Regular as clockwork. Sneaky and totalitariam. Yeah buddy.

I figured if I was going to be generating "content" for someone's hit counter, I ought to be paid too... but I doubt Verticalscope would see it that way. So I waved goodbye to three forums where I was a fairly heavy user, and wandered off to find some new groups of people to annoy. [newguy wave] Howdy y'all.

So when did the buy out occur?

Is that the board where one of the moderators is a serving Cincinnati area cop who once tried to defend illegal racial profiling, then started deleting responses to his advocacy of illegal activity by police?

A DefenciveCarry admin (JD) just banned me for pointing out that he now represents a Canadian firm.

What an idiot.

Good riddance to DefenciveCarry.

A DefenciveCarry admin (JD) just banned me for pointing out that he now represents a Canadian firm.

What an idiot.

Good riddance to DefenciveCarry.

I'm ashamed of you that it took you this long to get banned from there. I was banned from defensivecarry.com and thehighroad.org about 2 years ago because neither forum is very tolerant when you talk about Americans actually exercising their rights and freedoms.

I'm ashamed of you that it took you this long to get banned from there. I was banned from defensivecarry.com and thehighroad.org about 2 years ago because neither forum is very tolerant when you talk about Americans actually exercising their rights and freedoms.
Would you think better of me if I told you it was my 3rd sock account there? My other socks include ArmyMan and Stylus.

If the new Canadian firm actually knows a thing or two about how to operate a forum then it will be more difficult to make another sock. DefenciveCarry's old owner apparently doesn't know a damn thing about site security.

I still have an active account on TheHighRoad, probably because there's never anything to talk about so I hardly ever post.

Would you think better of me if I told you it was my 3rd sock account there? My other socks include ArmyMan and Stylus.

If the new Canadian firm actually knows a thing or two about how to operate a forum then it will be more difficult to make another sock. DefenciveCarry's old owner apparently doesn't know a damn thing about site security.

I still have an active account on TheHighRoad, probably because there's never anything to talk about so I hardly ever post.

K. You've redeemed yourself in my eyes :)

Aw, don't be a party pooper. Their legions of moderators monitor the site 24/7 to close or delete badthink or discussions they don't like. And problably some random threads, just to keep people wondering if they've crossed some imaginary line. So it's mostly the same old inbred group of old-timers griping if some new member brings up something they talked about in 2003...

It's someone's "safe space", though I haven't figured out whose, yet.

I got banned from defensivecarry.com for exposing the racism of one of the moderators who parroted National Alliance talking points.

I got banned from defensivecarry.com for exposing the racism of one of the moderators who parroted National Alliance talking points.
You can not be banned form Defensive Carry or any forum. It's a misnomer to say someone is banned.

An account they were using is deactivated, is all. DefenciveCarry owns the account, it's their property, so they can do with it as they want (which may change now that DC is owned by Canadians, who have banned the very activity DC is about). But they do not own you. You are free to do as you will.

You are not banned. You can still make another account.

I already have another account on DefenciveCarry.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back