Deer season

rugerfan.64

So tonight I've been cruising the forum,almost threw up because of one of the posts,reading about the Soldiers that lost their lives at Ft Hood. Generally this forum is a real depressing site for me. With the political climate and all the goings on in the world it really makes me wish the Lord would just come back and get us out of this mess we're in. On a lighter note,what have the outdoorsy types been doing to prepare for hunting season? I myself have all of the family deer rifles sighted in,checked the game cameras, and generally gotten ready for the opening of deer season. Rifles are tuned to the gilt edge of precision,knives are sharp. Four wheeler has a brand new starter. Stands and shoot houses are cleaned and ready. What do y'all do to get ready?

If the Nephew had not came down with some bug the day before yesterday, We'd be Up at the cabin now and bow hunting in the morning. Rifle opens on the 15th and the 44 is in good shape and a box of Hornaday 225 FTX's are packed and ready to go. But until somebodies fever breaks, I'll have to hunt locally on Sunday... I will have to do something soon, Haven't shaved in a month plus and it's itching..... Growing buck beards are part of the ritual...

Deer with Revolver

Ricbak - I took my 1st Deer with a revolver this year with a set up looks exactly like your avatar: Ruger SuperRedhawk 7.5" bbl, with a Leupold 2x on top, shooting Federal Premium 225 gr. Put a hole through a little 2x2 at 40 yds. Good luck and hope your nephew gets well.

Well, I don't hunt with a stick 'n' string, nor a smoke pole, so I haven't had a chance to do anything yet this year. Next Saturday is my gun opener, and I'll be there dark and early. I need to get a battery for the 4-wheeler between now and then so I can make sure it's running well. I'm looking forward to it.

It has been unseasonably warm, lately, so I'm hoping it'll cool down a few more degrees. Last year's opener, it was 10 degrees. Right now, overnight lows haven't even hit the freezing mark. Couple that with a record rainfall for October, my hunting grounds are still underwater.

Here's the camp entrance road looking from the steps of the cabin. This is the most shallow spot on the main road. The closer you get to the river, the deeper and faster-moving it gets.
Link Removed

Get ready??! Yawn...deer are already processed by the wife and I and in the freezer. "Get ready" around here consists of "aim and shoot". Buggers are EVERYWHERE. Son and I will continue to bow-hunt, which gets interesting when the temp goes sub-zero.

for October, my hunting grounds are still underwater.

Here's the camp entrance road looking from the steps of the cabin. This is the most shallow spot on the main road. The closer you get to the river, the deeper and faster-moving it gets.

PF why don't you get that navy guy, O'Shay to sail you in? Your right, It's been WAY too warm. None of the boys have started to chase the girls yet...
Krawler Nice shot... Gotta pay attention with that 2 power, I killed a 1" tree a while back..... never saw it in the Leupold... Hate when I do that...
JJF INVU Bow opens 10/1 and I've been out just a few times.... Seen some critters but nothing close enough to throw a stick at...

First Day of Deer Season

Guys

I tried to upload a picture of the 9 point I got yesterday.

Can't seem to get it to upload.

I will try to add the picture to my album.

Link Removed

85 yards- 195 gr. HP- and 80gr. FFG

Last edited:
I didn't get a chance to go out this year:(:(:( I had my .30-06 zeroed in but ended up being a no go. I am pretty much the only one in my family who enjoys hunting, so that made it a bit harder to get a hunting buddy. oh well.

We finally got our first frost of the season in West TN. Hopefully, it'll be enough to spur this rut along into high gear! Unfortunately, it coincides with a full moon. I just hope they don't do all their moving at night. One more weekend day before rifle season closes for a couple weeks.

I didn't get a chance to go out this year:(:(:

I am pretty much the only one in my family who enjoys hunting, so that made it a bit harder to get a hunting buddy. oh well.

I was like S~C did not get out either. Everybody had a bug of some kind. I did not want to get a bug and didn't. Leaving on a jetplane soon and don't want to be under the weather for that...

S_C If'n you need a hunter friend, Don't hesitate to call.... I'm sure we could find a place to park your tree stand...

Well folks, For those of you that didnt get to hunt, my heart felt sympathy, down home we hunt til the end of jan. Lots of deer to be harvested between now and then. Good luck to all and God Bless.

I was like S~C did not get out either. Everybody had a bug of some kind. I did not want to get a bug and didn't. Leaving on a jetplane soon and don't want to be under the weather for that...

S_C If'n you need a hunter friend, Don't hesitate to call.... I'm sure we could find a place to park your tree stand...

I know what you mean. I've had to fly before from houston to st petersburg russia before while being a bit under the weather. talk about no fun.

and thanks for the offer. I just might have to take you up on that.

Turns out, my sister, mom, and aunt are all participating in Memphis's St. Jude 1/2 Marathon this Saturday.......the final day of first rifle season. Yay. Maybe I'll sleep in and do an afternoon hunt.

Non resident deer season opens Monday in Maine. I won't get there til Wed. because I can't leave assachusetts without voting on Tue.. I'll spend the day outside the polling place with a "FREE KOOL AID for DEMOCRATS" sign. :biggrin: Drink up Dems! :sarcastic:

That sucked. Got a cold first day in Maine, but wrestled my new stand into a tree where I perched for 5 days in the rain, coughing and sneezing. Never saw a deer except the one we stole from the coyotes. Poor thing was running on three hoofs and a bare bone where some poacher blew the rear leg off til the yotes dragged her down and gutted her. Did see a monster moose.

Saw more deer here Monday in MA than all week in Maine. Been out twice and hitting the sack now, gettin up 4:00 am to get back out there.

That sucked. Got a cold first day in Maine, but wrestled my new stand into a tree where I perched for 5 days in the rain, coughing and sneezing. Never saw a deer except the one we stole from the coyotes. Poor thing was running on three hoofs and a bare bone where some poacher blew the rear leg off til the yotes dragged her down and gutted her. Did see a monster moose.

Saw more deer here Monday in MA than all week in Maine. Been out twice and hitting the sack now, gettin up 4:00 am to get back out there.

Good luck OldOwl, sounds like a ruff start to deer season. The coyotes here in Mi are putting a hurt the deer population in the lower part and in the U.P. the wolfs are doing the same. Not as many deer as the DNRE say there are. They should make a mandatory deer check and then they might get accurate counts. Hang in there I'm sure it will get better for you, It's not much fun when you have a cold and raining weather to start the season.

Have fun and be safe
DJ58

OK the game is on. Every year I say NO WORKING HUNTING SEASON yet customers seem to come out of the woodwork and I can't afford to say "No." So I got one week in Maine and was sick the entire week, and it rained. I got out here in MA about 4 mornings with the shotgun which the season ended yesterday. Saw MANY of them out at 200 yards, or in people's back yards. :mad: Not a one to take a shot at. So, I'm dusting off the muzzle loader next weekend, and hope to squeeze in a few hours in the afternoon here and there near home with the bow. After that, I'll mount some iron sights on my truck hood. :biggrin:

What a blast we had yesterday. Muzzle loaders. Love hate relationship. It was like clown college when our group teamed up with another group for eleven hunters driving and standing. One guiy almost got run over by a deer as he had it in the scope running right for him, and the bolt action had been pulled half way open and gun didnt fire. Another guy had a sure shot, and the cap didnt fire. Third guy I heard his cap fire but powder didn't discharge which spooked 3 does right in front of me for a clean miss. On another drive I stood in the crotch of three trees growing from one stump for a little elevation, and with my rifle on the right side of one trunk, watched a deer fly by on the left side. Then I made the mistake of ramming a sabot down the barrel over a single charge of powder. A helpful guy tried removing my plug and broke the nipple off, which made me a gunless driver for the rest of the day. But it was the most fun I've had for a while and we ended up with two does.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back