Deer Hunting Rifle Recommendations?

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone have any recommendations on a good rifle to start with for hunting deer? I went skeet shooting recently and was looking at getting a shotgun but will most likely be getting into some deer hunting soon. I shot my friend's today but for the life of me cannot remember what it was...blouser...browser? Not a mauser though. Anyway, I was thinking of something around 400-500? Is that enough to get into something decent to start with?

Bolt Action: Remington 700 in .270, 7mm RemMag, or .308
Pump: Remington 7600P in .308
Lever: Marlin .30-30

The Remington 700 seems like that would be what I'm looking for. Anything you can add on what caliber to choose? I know I shot a 7mm today but not sure what kind.

It was a 7MM-08 and he said he has a 300 short mag and 30-06 barrel for it. And it sounds like he may have another one he can sell me.

I have a 700 in 7mmRemMag. I've seen bullet weights from 110 grains to 185 grains. Last year, I shot a 120 pound buck with a 154 gr. bullet at 87 yards. The deer was white-side-up on the same spot where he'd been standing. Bullet destroyed the heart and off-side shoulder.

The .270 and .308 also are excellent rounds for deer. Some people say the .243 is minimal for deer, but after hearing about my bro-in-law's recent hunt in Kentucky, I won't recommend it.

I'd go with the .270 if you're hunting deer and smaller game. If you plan on hunting larger game (Elk, Moose, etc.) I'd get a .30-06. For hunting White Tail deer and smaller game, the .270 is more than enough gun. The "win mag", "ultra mag" etc, calibers tend to be too much gun for White Tail and smaller species. I guided a pair of guys who were shooting Jarrett .300 Ultra Mag rifles. This was way too much gun. When we retrieved the game, I noticed the small entry wound and a missing shoulder on the opposite side. This was a waste in my opinion due to not being able to use a whole shoulder of the animal.

Another thing to consider is availability of ammunition. Common calibers like .270, .308, .30-06 and even .30-30 are fairly common. When you use the "specialty calibers" like the "mag" and "ultra mag" calibers, then you may run into problems. There's not a season that goes by where I don't encounter a frantic hunter who is scrambling for ammo because they forgot to pack ammo before their trip. I usually pack a box of each "common" caliber of factory ammo. Though I cannot sell the ammo, I tend to "barter" for a lot of cool stuff (like game meat and favors to be named later).

Hope I was able to help in your decision.

gf

Thanks. I think the Blaser he is going to let me try out is a 30-06 but I'm not sure. I'm going to try and go hunting with him Saturday.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good rifle to start with for hunting deer? I went skeet shooting recently and was looking at getting a shotgun but will most likely be getting into some deer hunting soon. I shot my friend's today but for the life of me cannot remember what it was...blouser...browser? Not a mauser though. Anyway, I was thinking of something around 400-500? Is that enough to get into something decent to start with?

Are you looking for a slug gun or a rifle? Personally, I'd stick with a rifle. I'm not sure how accurate a slug gun can be at typical deer ranges. You'll never go wrong with any of the following:

.270 - Fast, flat, & deadly....excellent caliber up to about 250-300 yards. Probably the most popular deer gun in the woods today.

.30-30 - More deer have been killed with this cartridge than with any other. Usually considered a "brush" gun due to its relatively short range (under 200 yards). It's got a relatively massive bullet, not easily deflected by twigs. This is my rifle of choice because it's inexpensive and I think it's sexy. Shot my 2nd deer ever, two weeks ago, with it.

.30-06 - Similar to the .270, but a bigger, slower bullet.

You can also get a little more exotic with such calibers as a .243, .300 Winchester magnum, .308, 7mm-08, or a 7mm Magnum. I think these tend to get a little more expensive to buy, as well as shoot. Rounds are a little mroe expensive.

I'm sticking with a rifle. I'll probably use this Blaser my friend has and see if I like it.

Deering Hunting

I have to agree with PascalFleischman, The 30/30 has taken alot of deer. My dad, Brothers and brother in laws all carry 30/30's Mostly Winchester Lever Guns. Michigan is divided in to 3 hunting zones. The lower thirdis shot gun or hand gun with straight walled cartridges. That is why I got a .44 mag to hunt state wide. Out of the 4 deer I have harvested were all under 50 yards. In a lot of this state that is a long shot.
This year my brother in law with his 30/30 and I, with my .44, were using the Hornady Leverevolution. Neither of us had shots this year, so I do not know how good this ammo is on a larger animal. I know I hold good groups at 50 yards, great stuff on paper.
So with that said, Either 30/30/ or 30.06 (.44) the question becomes what load are you thinking about using?

Good Luck Enjoy the season...

Last edited:
I shot CoreLok and scored a pass-through on my deer this year at 25 yards or so...I'd stick to it, unless you're going out & beyond 100 yards. You just don't need the LeverRevolution (and $10 or so extra per box) within 100 yards using a .30-30

If your friend still has the 7mm-08, I would take a serious look at that. It is an excellent caliber for deer and is even a good caliber for elk out to 300 yds with 140 gr ammo. My son has been using one for the last few years during elk season and it has been great. It hits hard on the other end without much recoil, so its very easy to get good with and become confident quickly. As an all around caliber the 30-06 is hard to beat in a bolt action rifle such as the Remington 700. You may also want to look at the Savage rifles, as they are very accurate and less pricey than alot of the high end rifles. I have a Rem 700BDL in 30-06 and love it.

I have to add the Blasers normally runs upwards of $2,500 or more new. They are owned by SIG Arms. I have an older SIG SHR in .270. It's nowhere near the class of the Blasers, but it's a very accurate gun. I use it for just about everything, deer, antelope and elk. If I'm lucky enough to draw a moose tag I'll use it for that as well. Good round.

Most popular rounds for bolt actions will be .270, 7mm., .308, and 30.06 but anything in that class will work fine.

I use a mid 80's Savage 110 in 30-06. I like the 30-06 due to the huge range of bullet weights and combinations as well as the availability almost anywhere. It works great all the way up to elk, which is the largest animal to hunt in my area.

Get a SAVAGE

SAVAGE makes a great .308 with a varmint bbl. It is tack driver accurate, light enough to be useful, easy on recoil, and you don't have to put a kidney up for sale on E-BAY. ($600-ish bucks)

Well I've got the Blaser R93 in a 30-06 with a Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56 T with Illuminated Reticle. I need to get the right scope mount for it though. I'm hoping I can pick it up this week and take it hunting once before the season ends.

The Blaser is a fine rifle if but quite pricey, you can still pick up Rem. 700 and even the 788 very reasonable. If you are hunting whitetails the .270 is superb but I would not overlook the 7mm-08. a very fine and effective choice. Good luck on your hunt.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back