Deciding on carry weapon. Opinions & comments please....

ballgame1881

Hello everyone! I'm new to this particular forum.

Looking to get a conceal weapon. Trying to choose between the Cobgra FS380, and the Kel-Tec P11.

Thoughts?

nobody can give you advice on any specific gun, you need to identify what caliber you want, the capacity of rounds that you want to carry and you'll need to decide what gun fits your hand and works well for you.
All that I will add is that the 2 you picked will not be popular around here, they are low end weapons. like any other tool spend as much as you can afford to in order to buy the highest quality weapon possible

nobody can give you advice on any specific gun, you need to identify what caliber you want, the capacity of rounds that you want to carry and you'll need to decide what gun fits your hand and works well for you.
All that I will add is that the 2 you picked will not be popular around here, they are low end weapons. like any other tool spend as much as you can afford to in order to buy the highest quality weapon possible

apvbguy is right. you have to buy what is right and fits you, naturally there will be lot's of suggestions but all will depend on your budget.

I like 1911s, but everone is different, so I would try as many different handguns as you can before you buy.If you can go to a range where you can rent several different handguns that would be a good start.I would try some glocks,xds,s&w or ruger revolvers and maybe a 1911 or two.Finding a carry gun that works for you may take some time, but your life and your families may depend on it one day.Have fun and be safe and good luck.

It depends on what you have in mind. If you intend to legally carry (with a permit) you are looking for a gun that will stop and attacker. I'd say you want nothing less that a 9MM, .40 or .45 Cal semi-auto. I suggest good hollow point ammo. It is proven that round nose ammo is likely to go right through a attacker and not stop them. Also don't look for a cheap pistol, get a good known, preferably US made, brand. And, most of all, fire them on a range before you buy one. Make sure you can handle it and that it feels comfortable in your hands.

I have to agree with the advice given thus far.

I would also say that if you have a gun shop that rents firearms or a range that does, shoot several and see what feels good to you. This is a very personal choice, but one that requires a lot of research as well.

First rule of thumb, is to select a caliber that you are comfortable will do the job you are asking of it. Look up ballistic sights and see which perform best for what you want them to do.

Next, decide how you want to carry that firearm. Inside the waistband, outside the waist band, appendix carry, shoulder holster, etc.

Then decide how large a firearm you would be comfortable carrying all day. There are many different sizes and weights.

Once you've narrowed things down this way, then rent a few and see what is the right "fit" for you in your hand.

Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your first purchase.

Wow... I really don't like either. I'm not trying to sound like a snob, but if I were going to go with a substandard gun, it would only be out of pure necessity. Even then, it would have to be a very special TYPE of gun, such as a derringer.

If those are your only two options, go with the Kel-Tec. Do NOT use any +P ammunition in that weapon, though. Use only factory loads and not reloads.

I have three weapons I use depending on the situation.
I have a derringer for when I need to be extra-sneaky.
I have a Ruger LCP for when I may have to remove it a couple of times (like when I know I'll be going to a school or other prohibited place)
I have a Glock 26 as my preferred concealed carry option, but don't carry it as much because my holster sucks and I'm waiting on a new one which is on order.

If you choose the Kel-Tec, keep it very clean, inspect it after every range trip and use only factory, quality ammo.

Another thing to consider is where you live. I live in MN and when it gets cold people wear many layers. I chose .40 caliber because of this. Other have given you very good advice but you should go to a range that rents handguns and shoot them. Granted you can spend a lot of money doing this but it would be better to chose a gun that you like than to buy one that you do not like.

Do not worry about buying a low end or cheaper handgun. Whatever you buy will be better than having to tell a bad guy, "Naughty! Naughty!"

In addition to the other good advice, I would suggest that you consider the size and weight of the gun you select very carefully. Of course that will depend on how you intend to carry it - pocket, ankle, shoulder holster, etc.

I have a smaller gun that I am totally comfortable with as far as shooting is concerned, but it is just too big and heavy for a pocket pistol which is how I have decided to carry. It is all a matter of personal preference as stated previously, but I have downsized my carry choice to a 12 oz. pistol that I can comfortably carry in my pocket (with a pocket holster), even though I'm more comfortable shooting another gun.

Unless you have the gun on your person, it doesn't provide any protection, and I was leaving my gun in the car rather than tote it around. Another thing that was important to me (I'm going to catch hell here) is that I wanted a manual safety, and most of the semi-autos just don't come with a manual safety. Bersa and S & W Bodyguard being a few of the exceptions. Unfortunately Glock and most other manufacturers don't consider a manual safety to be required or even desired. I admit that I'm in the minority on this question, but if something is pointed at my jewels it better not go off accidently. LOL

Howdy,

Good advice and info posted already.

You need to visit an indoor range that has a large selection of rental guns and try several different models and pick one that fits you the best.

I myself prefer Glocks but some people do not due to numerous reason like not having a manual safety, or they don't like how the grip feels in their hand.

I have friends that have picked a Ruger SR9 and/or SR40 over a Glock, eventhough it's Ruger's version of a Glock, because it has a manual safety.

Your gun, your choice.

Paul

I would go with a higher grade gun. Those you listed aren't that good, and you need one that is proven reliable. I don't know your budget, but I'm not wealthy, but I don't want to trust my life to a weapon that may let me down when I need it most.

Secondly, why a 380 with mag capacities of only 7 rounds? That caliber, especially in the winter when a bullet has to go through heavy clothing may not stop the BG. If you do insist on 380, use only ball ammo and forget the hollow points.

I had a piece of advice given to me just the other day. It was quite cold, (single digits) and while discussing carry guns, my friend said that when it gets that cold, he always reverts to a revolver. The reason being that the action on a semi slows when you are shooting in that cold of weather. I have not tested his theory, but I suppose it makes some sense - he suggested that I shoot sometime in those conditions and see the difference in action speed. It might be moot because my holster is almost always an IWB, and my body heat keeps the gun from getting that cold.

Not knowing if you have any other pistols or not I would suggest you look for a little better firearm. A Taurus Millennium PT111 g2 goes for around 350 dollars and though the company had some troubles in the past This firearm is one of the new CEO's first new releases and he made sure it was done right. There are very few reported problems with it and it is honestly a very nice pistol. Also the Smith and Wesson SD VE line are nice starter pistols and run in the low $300 dollar range as well.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Ended up picking up a Charter Arms .38 Special! I did not mention in the post this is for my wife. I carry a hi-point 9mm(say what you want, she's my baby!:dirol:)

Put nearly 100 down range yesterday through the 38 special. Must say it's a nice piece!

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Ended up picking up a Charter Arms .38 Special! I did not mention in the post this is for my wife. I carry a hi-point 9mm(say what you want, she's my baby!:dirol:)

Put nearly 100 down range yesterday through the 38 special. Must say it's a nice piece!

I suggest carrying 158gr LSWC-HP or LSWC for the .38Spl, I prefer these loads and use them whenever I can get them. When I can't get them, I make due with 140-158gr LFP... in my snubs, these are all standard pressure loads. Nice purchase!

I would go with a higher grade gun. Those you listed aren't that good, and you need one that is proven reliable. I don't know your budget, but I'm not wealthy, but I don't want to trust my life to a weapon that may let me down when I need it most.

Secondly, why a 380 with mag capacities of only 7 rounds? That caliber, especially in the winter when a bullet has to go through heavy clothing may not stop the BG. If you do insist on 380, use only ball ammo and forget the hollow points.

Just wanted to second this line of thinking for the .380acp, after researching it enough I decided ball (FMJ) ammo was the way to go in anything short of 9mm.

If you're considering the Kel-Tec - can I recommend another (similar but better) gun? SCCY CPX-1 (manual safety) or CPX-2 (no safety). Lifetime (transferrable warranty)
Read up on them. Look at Youtube and watch a video by guntorturetest.com

I just bought one at a local gun show for $245. Don't listen to those that say inexpensive necessarily means cheap. Do your research and form your own opinions (of whatever you buy).

With that said...what's your budget?

Follow others' advice - try to find a range where you can rent and try different guns (and calibers).
There is no perfect gun for everybody. Some like (and dislike) Glocks, 1911s, etc. for their own reasons.
I happen to like a manual safety. Some don't.

Be prepared - you may buy a gun and end up selling and/or buying another (and another...) based on experience and further research.

I carry a 1911 and I still don't think it's the perfect carry gun. Originally had a S&W SW40VE, the Springfield XD45, then a Kimber Stainless I, now a High Standard Crusader Compact (Officer's Model).

Have not shot the SCCY yet.

Anyway, again, lots of good advice - but get to a range and shoot some guns and go from there.

OOPS - after all this - read the second page and found that OP already bought something...

Looking for my first purchase with a NYS CCW license. One of the last issued with No Restrictions before the SAFE Act took effect. Thinking of a Ruger P345 .45 ACP. Anyone have serious doubts about the choice?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back