Deciding between Ruger LC9s, Ruger SC40 or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact for conceal

corneileous

Stuck between those three for conceal carry. I already have a full size PX4 in a 40 but because of its size, conceal carry on me is out of the question with this gun. Tried it the other day with an Alien Gear 3.0 IWB holster and it just didn't work out.

I haven't got to handle the little beretta yet, hopefully get to this weekend at a big bass pro I'll be going to but I have handled the two Rugers. They're nice guns. I just don't know if I want a 9mm with a small number of rounds compared to the other two with larger capacities plus larger ammo.

I realize the lc9 is a single stack but since I'm thinking the combination of all that extra pistol mass and holster mass of my full size that was between me and my jeans, I really don't think the increased width of a much smaller double stack pistol is gonna make much difference from a smaller single stack pistol.

Anybody daily conceal carry either of these three pistols? Pros? Cons?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and to clarify, the 40 S&W sub compact Storm is the one I'm lookin into. The 9mm version of it has been considered as well, I'm just leaning more towards the 40.

I don't carry any of these firearms, but I can offer some general advice.

Look up reviews. I don't mean promotional pieces that talk about the various features of the firearm you are looking at, but actual reports from owners that fired thousands of rounds through their firearm and have taken it to training classes. There are a number of YouTube channels and blogs of individual gun owners that can give you honest feedback.

There are two types of firearms, those that last and those that break down quickly. Don't get me wrong all firearms break down eventually, but some already show serious wear after one or two thousand rounds or after being used in a training class or two. For example, plastic sights tend to break. Springs and levers made from cheap metal wear out very quickly. The biggest issue is with outright design flaws. I am not talking about firearms that are inoperable from the get go, but rather firearms that have design features that are inherently less reliable. Malfunctions, such as failure to feed or failure to extract, start happening when these firearms are operated in less than ideal conditions, such as slightly dirty and in rain. Prime examples are compact 1911s chambered in .45 ACP.

Another thing to look at is serviceability. If something fails in the firearm, how easy is it to replace it. How easy is it to get replacement parts and at what cost. How easy is it to detail strip the firearm. Can you do it by yourself or do you need a gunsmith for replacing springs and levers.

Next up is the manual of arms. There are different schools of thought when it comes to external safeties, including thumb safeties and backstrap safeties. Without going into a long argument about external safeties, handguns with a light and short trigger travel, like 1911s, should have them. For all other handgun types, they are optional and not really needed. In any case, you will end up with multiple handguns for different uses. It is best to keep a consistent manual of arms, i.e., consistency in external safeties across your handguns. Similarly, you should also look for consistency in action types and not mix single-action, single-action/double-action and double-action only handguns. The goal here is that no-matter what firearm you pick up, you are very familiar with its operation and have trained with this particular firearm or a similar firearm extensively. Many manufacturers produce lineups that include different sizes of the same design, Take advantage of that. In some cases, the smaller model may even fit in the same holster as the bigger one.

Try to stay with the same caliber, unless you have an actual practical need to use a different one. For example, have one caliber for carrying in the street for 2-legged threats and one for carrying in the woods for 4-legged threats. The idea here is that you can stock up self defense rounds and target rounds on those calibers without creating an expensive mess.

Go to a range that rents firearms and test them out. Once you have bought one, take a defensive handgun training class with it not only to train the basics on how and when to use the firearm, but also to figure out if your gun, holster and backup magazines work for you.

My personal good to go list includes: Most Glocks, S&W M&P Shield, S&W M&P 9c and 40c, Sig Sauer P320 and a few others.

I have fired now about 13,000 rounds through my Glock 19, about 7,500 rounds through my Glock 26 and about 5,500 rounds through my Glock 20. These are all estimates. I have taken these firearms through several multi-day training classes. I had the following malfunctions in these about 26,000 rounds fired:

• Unnecessary "improvement": I replaced the safety plunger in the Glock 19 with a Titanium safety plunger. This changed the timing of the safety plunger in correlation to the striker and resulted in a single light primer strike. I subsequently removed the unnecessary "improvement".
  • Operator error: I am right handed. During a training exercise with the Glock 19, we were supposed to hold the gun left handed, using the right hand as a support hand. Instead of the thumbs-forward grip, I did the thumbs-over-thumbs (revolver) grip. This resulted in the slide bumping into my thumb when cycling and a single failure to extract.
  • Unnecessary "improvement": During practice with the Glock 20 and hot 10mm loads, the magazine fell out several times while firing. I traced this down to the Vickers extended magazine release that I installed and accidentally pushed inward while trying to hold on to the gun. I subsequently removed the unnecessary "improvement".
  • Unnecessary "improvement": Also during practice with the Glock 20 and hot 10mm loads, the slide locked open on a non-empty magazine several times. I traced this down to the Glock extended slide stop lever that I installed and accidentally pushed up while trying to hold on to the gun. I subsequently removed the unnecessary "improvement".
  • Wear out: Also during practice with the Glock 20 and hot 10mm loads, I had failures to feed. I traced this down to a worn-out recoil spring (5000-round service interval, requiring replacement). I replaced it and it works fine again.
You should be looking for this type of report for the firearms you are considering. Sorry for the long post.

That's why I'm leaning more toward the Beretta because it's basically the same in the way that it operates to my big beretta.

I do like the way the safety works on the two Rugers. Up is on and down is fire. The opposite from the Storm. Plus, I don't know if it's the size and shape of the safety on the Rugers or if it's that and where it's located but, when I was tryin those two out in an IWB holster, it's like my thumb knew right where it was at and without having thinking about I had the safety off as soon as I had the gun out of the holster so, that was a plus.

I can't speak to the Ruger SR40C but I do have a SR9C. It's a gem and shoots softly, very accurate and no problems so far.

Link Removed

The Taurus is a recent purchase and I haven't had a chance to fire it yet. Academy had it on sale, paired with a Heritage .22 single action for $299. At first I figured the Taurus must be inferior to be so cheap but there were several glowing reports on the Internet and those Heritage single actions are great for use around our horse barn. Now I have three of the Heritages.
Link Removed

I can't speak to the Ruger SR40C but I do have a SR9C. It's a gem and shoots softly, very accurate and no problems so far.
Do you ever conceal carry your SR9C? I'm pretty sure the 9 and 40 SR's are the same overall size.
The Taurus is a recent purchase and I haven't had a chance to fire it yet. Academy had it on sale, paired with a Heritage .22 single action for $299. At first I figured the Taurus must be inferior to be so cheap but there were several glowing reports on the Internet and those Heritage single actions are great for use around our horse barn. Now I have three of the Heritages.

Which model Taurus is the semi? A buddy of mine has the Slim 9mm and he loves his. My mom has a snub Taurus 605 357 j frame that she raves over.

Finally got to wrap my hands around the sub compact storm today. Nice little gun but I'm afraid it's gonna be a little big tho. Didn't try it in a good holster though, all they had was just a little cheapie neoprene holster that goes in the inside of your waistband.

Didn't really fit well in my shorts pocket as good as I'd hoped as well.

Might just get the little LC9s and call it good.

Yes, the SR9c is exactly the same size as the SR40c. I bought my SR9c in 2010 and it will be my CCW. I just received my CCW License about a week ago and haven't gone anywhere to carry yet. My holster is a Milt Sparks OWB that was fit to a Walther P-99 but fits my Ruger perfectly.

The Taurus is a PT111 Millennium G2 that came with two 12-round mags. Seems like a solid gun but I won't know until I rack up several boxes of ammo through it.

I normally spend my mornings working around the barn and horses so "Open Carry" would be a better option for me. I think that if Open Carry ever gets passed here in Florida you'll probably need a CCW to do it. If Hillary gets elected we may not be able to easily obtain a CCW in the future.

Last week after going to the barn to feed horses I had to go to the chiropractor twice and had three visits to medical offices for my wife. Every medical place seems to have a NO FIREARMS sign.

My main threats to the horses are rattlesnakes, coyotes and black bears. For some reason Seminole county seems to have more than it's share of black bears but I've never seen on our property. The guy with the next horse barn has killed thirteen coyotes in the past year or so.

Our quarter horse chases coyotes but they look at the mini horse and lick their chops. I keep a 30-30 Winchester 94 handy for the animals and a .22 single action for snakes. With open carry I could wear my .22 hog leg and not worry about a cop coming along when I'm standing in the road repairing a fence board. A .357 single action with 5.5" or 6.5" barrel would probably be the best one gun solution for me because coyotes don't get very close.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Finally got to wrap my hands around the sub compact storm today. Nice little gun but I'm afraid it's gonna be a little big tho. Didn't try it in a good holster though, all they had was just a little cheapie neoprene holster that goes in the inside of your waistband.

Didn't really fit well in my shorts pocket as good as I'd hoped as well.

Might just get the little LC9s and call it good.

Not trying to persuade you or anything....BUT have you considered the Glock 43? I love my Ruger LC9s but must admit it sometimes gets treated like a stepkid since I bought my 43 which is strictly my carry gun these days.

Not trying to persuade you or anything....BUT have you considered the Glock 43? I love my Ruger LC9s but must admit it sometimes gets treated like a stepkid since I bought my 43 which is strictly my carry gun these days.
Haven't considered a Glock. Not puttin' them down or nothin', I just don't like the idea of only relying just on a trigger safety.

There's plenty of other guns I'd like to consider but since the safety is only in the trigger, they either have too long, too hard or both of a trigger pull.

I stopped at another place yesterday and got to check out that little Beretta Nano 9mm. Nice little pistol just like I had figured it was but, no saftey.

I'm just curious though, what is it about your Glock that makes it your primary carry over the Ruger?

Yes, the SR9c is exactly the same size as the SR40c. I bought my SR9c in 2010 and it will be my CCW. I just received my CCW License about a week ago and haven't gone anywhere to carry yet. My holster is a Milt Sparks OWB that was fit to a Walther P-99 but fits my Ruger perfectly.
I didn't think caliber would make those two different in size.

I may have to reconsider the SR40. I never did a side by side comparison to the Storm sub compact but, I did try one in a holster a while back. Pretty comfortable being that it's a double stack magazine but it seemed to me like the grip was longer on the SR making more of an imprint through my shirt than the little storm.

Of course, both times I tried either of those two, the SR and the beretta sub, the flimsy neoprene holster I tried them in didnt allow for a proper test fit. There was zero cant angle so the grip was straight out. Plus the cheapie holster wasn't allowing for deeper concealment in the waistband like the alien gear does.

Definitely have some decision making to do. Lol.

The Taurus is a PT111 Millennium G2 that came with two 12-round mags. Seems like a solid gun but I won't know until I rack up several boxes of ammo through it.

I checked out one of them a while back too. Nice pistol. Can't remember what it was though that I liked more about the two Rugers than that Taurus. Im thinking maybe it had a hard trigger pull?
I normally spend my mornings working around the barn and horses so "Open Carry" would be a better option for me. I think that if Open Carry ever gets passed here in Florida you'll probably need a CCW to do it. If Hillary gets elected we may not be able to easily obtain a CCW in the future.
Not sure about Florida but here in Okie country, as long as you are on your own property you don't need a permit to carry either way, concealed or open. Even out in woods whether it be deer season or just out on a hike. Pretty much, the carry permits is only in city limits.

Last week after going to the barn to feed horses I had to go to the chiropractor twice and had three visits to medical offices for my wife. Every medical place seems to have a NO FIREARMS sign.
Obviously not government buildings, jails or police departments but, soon as I figure out my carry configuration, I plan on continuing to carry regardless of a sign. As far as I'm concerned, if they don't know I have it, they don't know to get angry about it. If they do, they can just tell me to leave and that at that point I'll just have to decide if I wanna ever go back in that place...lol.

Hopefully, you could shoot and handle both weapons. What works for one person could be totally uncomfortable for someone else.

Hopefully, you could shoot and handle both weapons. What works for one person could be totally uncomfortable for someone else.

That's true. I don't think I'd have an issue with either, I'm just more or less looking at concealabity and comfort to an extent. I realize you can't have it all, tho. I like the single stack mag because for the main reason being it's thinner but, I like having the ability to carry more rounds in a double stack. And after carrying my big Beretta with 15 rounds in it, weight wasn't really much of an issue. Plus I'd like to carry nothing smaller than 40. Hopefully I don't anger the 9mm guys but with all this talk about handguns not really being the right weapon to stop intruders, a 9 just seems too small.

I wonder if anybody makes a single stack 40 S&W...........

If you are mainly concerned with intruders why not a 1911? A 45 can be a real confidence builder. My son's Kimber is pretty soft-shooting and makes big ole holes in stuff.

I've always liked the power of a .357 but I had a Ruger flat-top with 4-5/8" barrel that would blow your ears off in a confined area, like a bedroom.

I don't think I'd have time to tell a home-invader to hang on a minute while I put on my ear muffs.

If you are mainly concerned with intruders why not a 1911? A 45 can be a real confidence builder. My son's Kimber is pretty soft-shooting and makes big ole holes in stuff.

I've always liked the power of a .357 but I had a Ruger flat-top with 4-5/8" barrel that would blow your ears off in a confined area, like a bedroom.

I don't think I'd have time to tell a home-invader to hang on a minute while I put on my ear muffs.

That's true, it really could. Come to think of it, if the store my where my I bought my Storm from would've had a PX4 in a 45, I probly would of heavily considered it instead. Don't get me wrong, I love my 40....lol. There's no regret.

However, when I bought mine, I didn't even know that any other calibers or sizes even existed in the Storm family.

I'd love to have a 45 for conceal carry but aren't those kind of in limited choices in smaller sizes? And not only that but, for a reasonable price?

A 357 is also a great choice and 10-4 on the loudness factor. Altho I've heard that when your in a stressed situation with that adrenaline pumping, the noise ain't gonna phase ya.

Needless to say I got really lucky with the gun I got. I didn't research nothin, didn't do anything like that. Started thinking about wanting a gun to have and to go shoot and about a month later I took the plunge. Narrowed it down that day to that and a Springfield XD 9mm. Liked both of them, they were both really nice, I just went with the beretta merely because it had a traditional saftey and the Springfield didn't.

But in this case for conceal carry, I have to be a lot more decisive.....lol.

Nothing wrong with a Springfield or Beretta.

My first Tupperware gun is a S&W Sigma SW40VE. I wanted a home defense gun that was reliable and accurate, with stopping power. It was on sale at Gander Mountain with a coupon for extra mags.

It's my thinking that if I ever did have to shoot an intruder the police would want to take the gun for evidence and It may not be as well looked after as when it's in my possession. There's also a chance I might never see it again. I would sure miss my Ruger SR9c.

I'd sure hate to lose an expensive 1911 because some criminal decided to kick in my door, kill me and my wife for whatever it is they're looking for.

Link Removed

I hear ya, I'd be pissed, too. One of the things my instructor told me in my Self Defense Act class that they can't confiscate ur gun. Depending on the circumstances they may arrest you if they think foul play was possible on your part, though. But that was in reference to having to use your gun for lethal defense out in public. If you're in your home and some crackhead thug tries to break in, you won't have nothin to worry about.

Btw, is that little pinky grip extension on the Ruger in a fixed position like that? That was one of the things I liked about the baby beretta storm was that on the bottom of the magazines, it has the snap grip for better handling and concealment.
Link Removed

Ruger delivers the SR9c with a flat-bottom 10 and 17 round magazines. They include the pinky finger extension and it's a pretty quick swap out.

I couldn't get more than two fingers on the 10 round mag so I have to use the extender. I think it looks pretty good too. The 17 round mag is longer so I didn't need to extend that one.

My son's Glock 26 is also very short and we found some extensions on line so we can hang on to it.

I just found a picture I took of the flat 10 rounder.

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back