deadly weapon in a school bus or school building or on school property

Bone Man

Hi Folks

New member here. I have a question regarding the information below. When it comes to school building and bus's The rules are clear. NO WAY. However when reading section (b) below it states that on "school property" you may carry as long as your "intent" is to to harm someone.

Therefor my question is has any one else wondered about this section, and agree that the conclusion is: that it is legal to have a firearm in your possession on school property only, as long as your intention was not to harm anyone?

Title 13: Crimes and Criminal Procedure
Chapter 85: WEAPONS
13 V.S.A. § 4004. Possession of dangerous or deadly weapon in a school bus or school building or on school property

§ 4004. Possession of dangerous or deadly weapon in a school bus or school building or on school property

(a) No person shall knowingly possess a firearm or a dangerous or deadly weapon while within a school building or on a school bus. A person who violates this section shall, for the first offense, be imprisoned not more than one year or fined not more than $1,000.00, or both, and for a second or subsequent offense shall be imprisoned not more than three years or fined not more than $5,000.00, or both.

(b) No person shall knowingly possess a firearm or a dangerous or deadly weapon on any school property with the intent to injure another person. A person who violates this section shall, for the first offense, be imprisoned not more than two years or fined not more than $1,000.00, or both, and for a second or subsequent offense shall be imprisoned not more than three years or fined not more than $5,000.00, or both.

(c) This section shall not apply to:

(1) A law enforcement officer while engaged in law enforcement duties.

(2) Possession and use of firearms or dangerous or deadly weapons if the board of school directors, or the superintendent or principal if delegated authority to do so by the board, authorizes possession or use for specific occasions or for instructional or other specific purposes.

(d) As used in this section:

(1) "School property" means any property owned by a school, including motor vehicles.

(2) "Owned by the school" means owned, leased, controlled or subcontracted by the school.

(3) "Dangerous or deadly weapon" has the meaning defined in section 4016 of this title.

(4) "Firearm" has the meaning defined in section 4016 of this title.

(5) "Law enforcement officer" has the meaning defined in section 4016 of this title.

(e) The provisions of this section shall not limit or restrict any prosecution for any other offense, including simple assault or aggravated assault. (Amended 1989, No. 143 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 1999, No. 113 (Adj. Sess.), § 11.)

I stand corrected, I see what your last paragraph was now. Apologies to you. I think it's a loose phrase poorly written.

i have a seriouse question about school busses. i have an unusual part time job. i transport new school busses frome the manufacturer to variouse school bus dealers
around the country. i do not go to schools. i do not carry passengers. i cross many state lines. am i in violation of this law if i have a gun on board with me?
and what about a tow car being towed by the school bus?

''New member here. I have a question regarding the information below. When it comes to school building and bus's The rules are clear. NO WAY. However when reading section (b) below it states that on "school property" you may carry as long as your "intent" is to to harm someone. ''

i think that last sentence should read 'you may carry as long as your ''intent'' is NOT to harm someone

Hello Vermonters, can anyone give any insight as to how 13 V.S.A. § 4004 applies to colleges or any schools higher than high schools?

Thanks!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back