Deadly force justified?

I agree, I think by doing that, you are putting yourself in more danger and now you have one hand and a gun that you need to defend vs two hands and a secured gun that you only need to protect against it being obtained. By leaving it where you have it, they might not even notice that it's there.

The standard used in a court of law is "reasonable". Would a reasonable person believe they were in imminent danger of death, serious bodily harm, rape, etc? Would a reasonable person in that situation have reacted in that manner?

So someone comes up to you and they say give me all your money. You can't see their hands or any weapons as the OP posted. It's likely that a reasonable person would hand over their money believing that if they do, no harm will come to them. Doesn't matter if you have a gun or not, at this point it shouldn't come into play.

The standard used in a court of law is "reasonable". Would a reasonable person believe they were in imminent danger of death, serious bodily harm, rape, etc? Would a reasonable person in that situation have reacted in that manner?

So someone comes up to you and they say give me all your money. You can't see their hands or any weapons as the OP posted. It's likely that a reasonable person would hand over their money believing that if they do, no harm will come to them. Doesn't matter if you have a gun or not, at this point it shouldn't come into play.
What a "reasonable person" would believe under those circumstances depends on many factors... did the bad guy's body language indicate an aggressive manner? Did he make any threats involving death or grave bodily harm while demanding money? How old/young/healthy/infirm is the victim?

What a "reasonable person" would believe under those circumstances depends on many factors... did the bad guy's body language indicate an aggressive manner? Did he make any threats involving death or grave bodily harm while demanding money? How old/young/healthy/infirm is the victim?

Absolutely, it's going to take into account both the bad guy and the victim like you stated. Their age, size, ability, prior history. What an older person would likely do is going to be different than what a trained soldier would do for instance......variables are infinite and the jury selection is key also. This is why so much time is spent selecting jury members for trials. For instance, older women still tend to think a man cannot rape his wife. People from a rural area who knows the frustration of getting their mailbox bashed over and over and going to be more understanding like in my earlier example. And people are just different, fight or flight comes into play. Some just get scared and want it all over and others get into fight mode. Your going to have to explain the situation in detail, what you thought, felt, what you saw, what happened (over and over). We are fortunate that we will get judged by our peers and so the saying goes better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

We aren't really giving the OP a cut and dry answer but hopefully they can see there just isn't one...

Thanks for all the input, it has giving me a little clearer picture on the many variables involved. You all have been much help.

Clarification please....

it's just what they were taught amd raised to believe but as the laws change, people's view do not always agree with them. So when selecting a jury of your peers, attorneys use these types of things to their advantage to get their desired outcome at the end of the trial.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back