DC Gun Laws Do Not Change For Taxicab Drivers

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
WASHINGTON (Map, News) - Gun rights advocates say attacks on taxicab drivers in the Washington area call for further changes to D.C. handgun laws.

After a Supreme Court decision overturning a ban on handguns, D.C. residents may keep registered weapons in their place of business. But police and city officials say the workplace must be a "fixed location," making it illegal for taxicab drivers to carry weapons.

Nathan Price, chairman of the D.C. Coalition of Taxicab Drivers, says the city's 7,000 drivers aren't sufficiently shielded. He says that if the city fails to protect drivers, then it's a constitutional right "to carry a gun to protect yourself."

The most recent attack occurred last week when driver Tekola Bekele was fatally shot during a carjacking in Landover, Md. Police also investigated at least seven assaults on Washington taxi drivers in January and February.

Source: Link Removed

DC Taxi Cab Drivers

My simple response is; and what is more fixed than a cab where I work 8 to 12 hours a day behind the wheel? If being in the drivers seat doesn't count can we eliminate the fact that this is constituted as the taxi drivers office/place of business and that they are tied to it all day as they work? My cubicle doesn't move and a cab does, so what? It is both our places of business and as such ought to protect our freedom to protect our lives, not stand in collusion to destroy it with bigoted rules which are meaningless and don't work for anyone except the criminals which ignore them with impunity.

Yep...cabby means taking one to the back of the head and then have your pockets rifled through. There are 2 kinds of humans in dc...those that get killed and those that do the killing.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back