DC Door to Door Searches

Smokewagon

Link Removed

WASHINGTON -- A crackdown on guns is under way in the District. Police are asking residents to submit to voluntary searches in exchange for amnesty under the District's gun ban.

The program is starting in the Washington Highlands neighborhood of southeast Washington on Monday and will later expand to other neighborhoods.

Officers will go door to door asking residents for permission to search their homes.

Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said the "safe homes initiative" is aimed at residents who want to cooperate with police. She gave the example of parents or grandparents who know or suspect their children have guns in the home.

If weapons are recovered, they will be tested and destroyed if they are not found to be linked to any other crimes

Go to the link and watch the broadcast, and read the comments.

DrDavidM

This is disturbing. I guess they are afraid they are going to loose the supreme court case and are doing everything they can now to get all guns off the street. My question is, the article says the guns will be destroyed if they have ever been linked to crimes, what are they going to do with all the rest of the guns they confiscate?

HK4U

guns

This is disturbing. I guess they are afraid they are going to loose the supreme court case and are doing everything they can now to get all guns off the street. My question is, the article says the guns will be destroyed if they have ever been linked to crimes, what are they going to do with all the rest of the guns they confiscate?

I am sure some of the better ones will end up in the chief or some local buracrats collection.

The Gunny

And if you say no thanks do they then have gorunds to go and get a warrant? Or do they just pull you over everytime they see you and check your license and registration? I think someone should be challenging this as an illegal search it doesn't sound right to me. Of course they get around that by saying it was voluntary, yeah right!

HK4U

Gun search

And if you say no thanks do they then have gorunds to go and get a warrant? Or do they just pull you over everytime they see you and check your license and registration? I think someone should be challenging this as an illegal search it doesn't sound right to me. Of course they get around that by saying it was voluntary, yeah right!

The following article is several years old and is about what happened in New Orleans but I think it is approate here.

Link Removed

xd.40

XD.40
I was watching Fox 5 (in the DC area) the other night and they were talking about this. The ACLU is actually urging residents to not let the police in! This totally confuses me! Are they for gun rights, or against them?

Big Bubba

This disgusting turn of events in D C, reeks of communism. We are losing our civil liberities. Once a nation of the free, we are heading toward a nation of oppression.

KimberPB

"Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said the "safe homes initiative" is aimed at residents who want to cooperate with police. She gave the example of parents or grandparents who know or suspect their children have guns in the home."

Ok two issues with this statement.

1. "Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said the "safe homes initiative"..." Hate to tell them but my house and its occupants are safe BECAUSE I DO have a gun in the house.

2. "parents or grandparents who know or suspect their children have guns in the home." Shouldn't the parents/grandparents be taking care of this? Guess that's the bigger issue, police are raising the kids and not the parents! I would have had my butt handed to me after a good beating if I had ever brought an illegal gun into the house. No cops needed there.

mom of 3 angels

I'm with KimberPB on this one, if there are illegal guns in my home, I'll find them myself thanks. Don't need the police to do it for me. Unfortunately there are citizens who have the mentality that they do not need to take responsibility for themselves or their families, the government is here to take care of them. :21: I don't get it . . .

HK4U

guns

I'm with KimberPB on this one, if there are illegal guns in my home, I'll find them myself thanks. Don't need the police to do it for me. Unfortunately there are citizens who have the mentality that they do not need to take responsibility for themselves or their families, the government is here to take care of them. :21: I don't get it . . .

Exactly, and another thing. What are illegal guns and who makes that decission? Today it may be one thing tomorrow another. One day all guns in the hands of the citizens may be illegal. This kind of garbage is just the beginning.

joeren

There is no question

that they will confiscate every gun they find, illegal or legal. This is BAD police policy. They are trying this same crap in Boston, (Jamaica Plains).
Joe

Scarecrow

Exactly, and another thing. What are illegal guns and who makes that decission? Today it may be one thing tomorrow another. One day all guns in the hands of the citizens may be illegal. This kind of garbage is just the beginning.

yes this is probably something that will come to pass. it will be a very sad day.

KimberRB

KimberPB is right it would have been handed to him. But what do you expect. The Government has been taking care of most of this for years by handing them food , money, housing and alike why should they expect to take care of there kids let us do that too. There was a day when you took care of your own.

boris

smokescreen .....

for volutary confiscation. soon it will probably be enforced confiscation. and then civil war, because most american gunowners know what's at stake. do i sound jaded or just realistic?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zyvaaprilia