Daughter's First Firearm?

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
My daughter told me she wants try learning how to shoot again. She's 11 and I took her to an outdoor range once with my dad. I think it was a little overwhelming for her as it was really crowded. She shot one of my dad's little .22 pistols once and that was a wrap. She played with her doll the rest of the time.

Now that she's interested again, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good started rifle and pistol. She's staying with me for a few weeks in July and would like to surprise her with her own firearm, especially since I don't have anything small enough for her to shoot.

If you are wanting to stay with a 22, and that would probably be a good idea at her age ,I would think that the Ruger10/22 for a rifle would be a good choice. As far as the hand gun in 22 I might go with a revolver just because it is more simple to use than the auto so would make a good starter pistol.

Rugers 10/22's are alot of fun to shoot and they have a ton of different stocks/accessories for them. My buddy just picked up one that has a silenced barrel(silencer built into the barrel). If you go with a pistol a revolver would probably be the way to go. If you want let me know when you guys are going and by then I'll have the suppressor for the walther P22. I can bring it out and let you guys try it.

I would have to agree the 10/22 is a very nice first gun. and as for the hand gun a revolver would be the best to start with.

I shot my neighbor's 10/22 and it was a nice shooting gun, however I am small (5' 2") and the length of pull on it was too long. It was also quite a bit heavier than my cheap Marlin 60 which made it a bit more difficult for me to shoot standing (this one was stainless with laminated stock, similar to the one in the auction but not pink :) ). If you go with the 10/22 for your daughter you may see if you can get a shorter stock on it and make sure to have some kind of rest to shoot off of at least for starters. Just my girl input. :03:

+1 on the 10/22. That's great that your daughter is interested in shooting at such a young age.

I have a Ruger 10/22 I love it I got the carbine version shorter barrel you might look at that.

I gave my son my old 22 a Savage bolt action with a 7 round mag. My dad had been keeping it for squirrels and birds out in the BARN!! Well cleaned it up and my neighbor put a scope on it and I'll be darned if the old gun ain't a TACK DRIVER!!! 1 inch group at 50 yards which ain't bad for a 35 year old gun that spent the last 10 years out in a barn.

My dad also has a Ruger Single Six 22 with a 9 inch barrel that I have been hoping to get. I think it is also a good one to consider. The long barrel makes it seaier to learn to shoot on longer site radius and all that.

We allow children as young as 7 years old shoot the Ruger 10/22 on our range. We have a special package for children that allows them to shoot a .22 S&W revolver, .22 Ruger Mk III and the Ruger 10/22. Children visiting from all over the world shoot at our range and seem to enjoy the experience.

I recently got to shoot the Beretta Neos. It ate anything I fed it, and is extremely easy to clean.

gf

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll keep you updated on what I decide to get but it sounds like a Ruger 10/22 will be my next gun.

Hope Im not too late here but I kind of disagree with the guys and Ill explain why

My daughter is also 11 ... Turning 12 on the 4th of July....

April 21st will be her first hunt... She drew a turkey tag up here in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan and I could not be more proud.. She can not wait to start hunting.

I have had my daughter shooting now for 4 years and she still can not shoulder my stock Ruger 10/22

Its not that she cant handle it.. Its just that she plain and simply can not reach the Trigger.

So while I completely agree that a .22 is the way to go...I would really be scared of getting a full sized rifle for fear that she will not be able to use it comfortably..

I would recomend a Chipmunk .22

Its a very small Bolt Action Single Shot rifle

Not only does it fit her very well.. but its light enough for her to handle all day if needed.. I dont have to worry about her having to Lift hard to swing it around and potentially loosing control if it.

There is no Magazine for her tender little thumbs to get sore loading. Easy to teach maintance..

And another thing it teaches is accuracy.

Kids see a squirell.. Shoot... and then chase it with the other 9 rounds till the squirell is either gone.. or winged..

With a Single shot rifle you can teach accurace... you get 1 shot make it count type of thinking...

Which is why when we started looking at Turkey Hunting I had to find a decent solution for her to hunt with.. Nothing I had would work.. Either to big and heavy.. Or to much Recoil..

So I went out just last week and bought her a Remington 870 Express Junior Model. Its exactly like a 870.. but its a 20 Guage and everything is Smaller.. GOOD GOD I CANT WAIT....

Im a bit worried about a 20 Guage having the knockdown power needed to take a turkey.. Which is why Daughter will get the first bird... With Dads Remington SP10 ready to finish the job if needed.

But thats just my 2 cents.

I think a small revolver is a good choice.. I havent taken that step with my daughter yet...But when I do it will be a revolver..

Look into the Chipmunk .22 for me.

first gun

Hope Im not too late here but I kind of disagree with the guys and Ill explain why

My daughter is also 11 ... Turning 12 on the 4th of July....

April 21st will be her first hunt... She drew a turkey tag up here in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan and I could not be more proud.. She can not wait to start hunting.

I have had my daughter shooting now for 4 years and she still can not shoulder my stock Ruger 10/22

Its not that she cant handle it.. Its just that she plain and simply can not reach the Trigger.

So while I completely agree that a .22 is the way to go...I would really be scared of getting a full sized rifle for fear that she will not be able to use it comfortably..

I would recomend a Chipmunk .22

Its a very small Bolt Action Single Shot rifle

Not only does it fit her very well.. but its light enough for her to handle all day if needed.. I dont have to worry about her having to Lift hard to swing it around and potentially loosing control if it.

There is no Magazine for her tender little thumbs to get sore loading. Easy to teach maintance..

And another thing it teaches is accuracy.

Kids see a squirell.. Shoot... and then chase it with the other 9 rounds till the squirell is either gone.. or winged..

With a Single shot rifle you can teach accurace... you get 1 shot make it count type of thinking...

Which is why when we started looking at Turkey Hunting I had to find a decent solution for her to hunt with.. Nothing I had would work.. Either to big and heavy.. Or to much Recoil..

So I went out just last week and bought her a Remington 870 Express Junior Model. Its exactly like a 870.. but its a 20 Guage and everything is Smaller.. GOOD GOD I CANT WAIT....

Im a bit worried about a 20 Guage having the knockdown power needed to take a turkey.. Which is why Daughter will get the first bird... With Dads Remington SP10 ready to finish the job if needed.

But thats just my 2 cents.

I think a small revolver is a good choice.. I havent taken that step with my daughter yet...But when I do it will be a revolver..

Look into the Chipmunk .22 for me.

Luke here is another thought. I do not know how big you daughter is but if she needs a smaller rifle and you still want to stick with the semi auto, Ruger now makes a compact model. sSorter barrel and stock. The following site has a picture and discription.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/736676011681.html

It sort of depends on the height/weight of the kid, the length of their arms, etc. Especially when kids are still growing, they may or may not be able to handle a full-sized gun yet.

Just go with what fits...let her try a few good ones out and see which one feels the best. If she can handle a full-size rifle with a modified stock, then that's great because she can keep it for a while and maybe pass it on later.

another for the ruger 10/22. I've got the 22 inch barrel version that is only sold at walmart. mine is in stainless. I love it! lots of fun. cheap to shoot. not hard to clean and very well built. not to mention accurate as can be.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back