Dang. Kel-Tec P11 blued finish slide rusting

I like to think I keep my weapons well-maintained. But, I didn't concealed carry every day until very recently. (I would always have excuses for not CCing, but the recent events - shooting at Temple, shooting at IHOP - along with my own increased interest have gotten me to carry more often than I used to.) Previously, I would only take my P11 out of its safe if I was going out to the range, or for the very-occasional CC. Obviously, after a range visit, I'd immediately clean it and put a thin coating of oil over all appropriate places.

Well, I never conceal-carried more than a couple hours a week before recently, and would generally re-clean/oil after (rough estimate) 40-50 hours of carry. I had never seen any rust on it before. I sent it in to Kel-Tec for refurbishment in April, and it came back looking great.

With my more recent carry experience, I have noticed it started to get little flecks. At first, I thought it was something rubbing off the holster from much more wear than I usually give it, but after two hot days last week (aka: I sweat a lot worse,) it became painfully clear it was rust.

So, first, I know I can use WD-40 or similar plus very fine steel wool to clean it, then more regular oilings to protect it, but, short of replacing the slide with a rust-proof one (Kel-Tec will sell me a replacement parkerized slide for $70,) anyone know of a good way to keep it rust free without oiling it daily?

(For reference, I carry in a DeSantis Sof-Tuck IWB holster in the small of my back. Only the front of the slide, on the side that is nearest my body, is rusting. I wear with a T-shirt underneath, and a button-up shirt untucked on top. I do bicycle commute, so I sweat a bit; I'm sure the recent hot and humid days (for Portland,) combined with the increased sweat from being more hot and humid severely accelerated the rust.)

Ed, your really in a tough spot. Horsehide is a better shield of sweat than cowhide when choosing a holster material, but it has to cover the whole gun. Stoner Holster makes a horsehide shield that goes into some of their generic holsters to cover the gun from the body, so you might be able to talk to your holster creator to see if they have a "shield" solution.

As far as protecting the gun, I am not aware of any add-on solution that is 100% effective. Anything you wipe or spray on will get wiped off from use and expose the blue steel, it's just physics. Changing to a parkerized or stainless slide might be your best bet.

hmm. you are in portland, so it is humid. I recommend to usr militec-1 here is the link
Link Removed

now in harsh environments I do recommend the perkerized slide, it really helps. I live in texas and travel all over the U.S, so my PF9 gets wet, salt sand, heat and cold, high and low alttitude so. the lubricant has helped with it. but it also helps that I have the parkerized slide. I also have the hard crome slide and it works good.
my wife carries the PF9 with the blue slide and the militec works well on it. I recommend that you get a crossbreed holster made out of horsehide and does not have the combat cut, so it can protect the gun from the body.

I really hope it helps. Kel-Tec makes good guns. also I had a walther and I used a desantis soft tuck and that dang skin is so soft it did not last very long and it absorbs the humidity like a sponge.

get a Galco if you can or the crossbreed it helps. good luck.

I had the same problem with my P-11.
I finally used car wax (Turtle Wax) on the slide and have had no more problems with slide rust.
I do reapply wax about once a month or so.

Let's all back up a moment. I had the same issue with my Kel-Tecs. The rust will keep coming back of you don't address it first. Get it to a good gunsmith who can change the finish to parkerized, DuraCoat/DuraBlack,Hydro Coat, or some longer lasting finish. Blueing is nothing more than controlled corrosion, which can get out-of-control eventually with any gun. Once the gun comes back from refinishing, THEN think about holsters, oils, cleaners, etc.

hey man. I talked to Kel-Tec and they can cerakote it for a fee.

so give them a call and see if they can do it. if not looks for cerakote appliers in your area and see if they can finish ypur slide.

Let's all back up a moment. I had the same issue with my Kel-Tecs. The rust will keep coming back of you don't address it first. Get it to a good gunsmith who can change the finish to parkerized, DuraCoat/DuraBlack,Hydro Coat, or some longer lasting finish. Blueing is nothing more than controlled corrosion, which can get out-of-control eventually with any gun. Once the gun comes back from refinishing, THEN think about holsters, oils, cleaners, etc.

Rdc2co, you are absolutely correct. In my experience, these coatings have been quoted at a higher cost than what was mentioned to replace the slide, but I have not looked into them lately so the costs may have come down.

My fault that I also assumed the owner wanted to deal with Kel-Tec only as some owners don't want to "experiment" with anything that is not original equipment from the manufacturer of their gun. I should've asked if that was a possibility and not "ass-u-me-d.". :p :cool:

I finally used car wax (Turtle Wax) on the slide and have had no more problems with slide rust.

What a cheap, quick, McGuyver-like solution! The only thing you have to be careful about is if you already have rust started, the wax may seal it an keep it from spreading or it may slowly work away at the gun under the wax so it is always a good idea to take care of the rust with very, very light steel wool or sand paper before sealing it.

Naybor:229569 said:

Great idea. I gotta try that!

That is a pretty slick idea (bad joke), but pretty effective, I'm sure. I bet that would be great right over a new finish as a second line of defense against rust.
Did you all know that a little bit of crystal cat litter is the same stuff they put in the dessicant packs that come with your new guns, electronics, etc? Get some crystal cat litter, some re-usable tea bags or wedding favor bags at Wal-Mart. Put the litter inside several tea bags, tie the bags shut, and drop it into you gun box, tool box, or fishing box or (whatever). When the litter is saturated, open the bag, pour the littler into an empty tuna can (soup can, etc) and put it in the oven for 5 minutes. When the moisture evaporates, allow the litter to cool, dump it back into your tea bags, tie them shut, and put 'em where you need them.

couple coats of car wax works great. totally degrease all parts, with rubbing alchohol, and use hardware store Lockease dry graphite on the high friction areas. use VERY little of it, cause it "migrates" and stains clothing. Any oil or solvent screws up the wax, but I have both a carry gun and a practice gun. given the $200 cost of used Keltecs, that's not expensive and it's a very good idea. then wear and fouling is not going on the ccw gun and you need not clean the practice gun constantly.

I had the same problem with my Kel-Tec, so I had mine refinished with DuraCoat, then I use the car wax trick on top of that. It seems to work pretty well...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back