*D.C. Police to Allow Officers to Wear Full Beards and Turbans on the Job*

just because a drill sergeant says it, doesn't make it fact. Military dicta can perpetuate fallacy indefinitely!

The military can make it so by decree. A concept totally non-dependent on fact!

I can ask someone 'why is it so..?" and get the reply ..because my drill sergeant says so.."

the us army surgery manual said that lacerated arteries must be ligated and the limb amputated! A group of surgeons in korea disobeyed, risking court-martial and prison to prove the army dicta-wrong! Guess what, vascular surgeons rarely need to amputate for simple lacs! The whole us army medical corps was wrong!

I can seal my masks just fine with a beard! It doesn't matter what my drill sergeant said.

The whole dod can say it doesn't seal! It changes nothing! The reality is the mask seals!

All my masks seal!

-doc

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!shouting does not prove anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!shouting does not prove anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely, shouting doesn't prove anything... However, one thing I've seen lately is the military has been willing to admit when it has been wrong. One of the latest examples being the exercise routine toned down to reduce damage to the knees. The long marches and similar activities that used to be common 50 years ago are no longer necessary. The old training is now affecting soldiers years later for no benefit to our country, or the soldier's preparedness.

Back on the original topic, if either The_Outlaw or Bighouse Doc have some data to help show actual gas mask air flow, it would help clarify the situation.

Absolutely, shouting doesn't prove anything... However, one thing I've seen lately is the military has been willing to admit when it has been wrong. One of the latest examples being the exercise routine toned down to reduce damage to the knees. The long marches and similar activities that used to be common 50 years ago are no longer necessary. The old training is now affecting soldiers years later for no benefit to our country, or the soldier's preparedness.

Back on the original topic, if either The_Outlaw or Bighouse Doc have some data to help show actual gas mask air flow, it would help clarify the situation.

I have three masks. My beard length is between 2-3cm trimmed, and 3-4 cm if I let it go. All three seal to the point of proper valve actuation with flow detectable to feel in the proper places. Exhaust is thru the proper port and after wear for 10-20 minutes, there are no signs of hypoxia which confirms proper flow direction. With Black filters installed, I can walk into an irritant particulate like CS or OC without any irritation.

My sample size is admittedly small so the data is limited. It does show that a larger scale test would probably yield similar results.

If the durometer of the rubber were lowered just a couple more points, the mask would work with even more beard length.

A better description?

-Doc

Thought this thread was about dress code for LEO? Getting a little off topic guys.

So back to the topic, This is just turning into a "make every one feel warm and fuzzy" society. Don't follow the rules, try to bend and change them to fit your own personal life style. It's all BS

Regarding beards: I used to train with a number of women who loved to use my beard as a come-along hold, or a grip for flips and throws. I can attest to its effectiveness. Properly executed, a grip in the beard increases the leverage able to be applied to the head, neck, and body. Plus, it hurts like the devil!

You may had a beard but you didn't have a turban, did you? If you did those women can grab that and use it to strangle you...:smile:

Well, anything can be a weapon, but no, no turban. It would most likely fall down over my eyes at a critical moment. Hey maybe it will start a new fad. Instead of fedoras, it'' be turbans for everyone!

My jewish friends wears Fedoras. It looks cute with men fully dressed up for their church...it hides their Kippah for a while...

WTF??
Has the whole world gone crazy!?
Is this even the United States of America anymore?!?

D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier called the policy a “common-sense decision” and said it‘s important for the police force to have representation from all communities across the nation’s capital. “I have to remind myself sometimes that in my lifetime women were not allowed to ride in patrol cars along with men, and now I’m chief,” Lanier said during a news conference.

D.C. Police to Allow Sikh Officers to Wear Full Beards and Turbans | TheBlaze.com

“I think it’s a step forward not only for civil rights and religious freedom, I think it’s a step forward for law enforcement,” said Jasjit Singh, executive director of the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund.

~SMFH~

There are no political reasons for why there are dress and grooming standards for LEO. The reasons for the uniform attire and the uniform grooming practices is for the following:

- all LEO are unified to do one job and as such should be unified in appearance
- all LEO need to be identified easily by the public (those in uniform of course... we aren't talking undercover here)
- so copycats who want to impersonate LEO will have a tough time doing so. (There is only one outfitter that is authorized to make the patches, etc for the LEO uniforms for any department)

Taking these things in mind, if I saw a bearded and turban wearing person wearing a police uniform, I would call 911 and say there is someone impersonating a LEO. The main reason for that is because the image of what a police officer is has been skewed. Am I a bigot and refusing to be culturally diverse? NO!! A police officer wears a uniform in order to be easily identified as a police officer to the public. I frankly would be leery of someone dressed as a police officer with more facial hair than a mustache and wearing anything on their head other than the prescribed uniformed headgear.

But, why would I be surprised by any strange policies coming out of Washington, DC?

There are no political reasons for why there are dress and grooming standards for LEO. The reasons for the uniform attire and the uniform grooming practices is for the following:

- all LEO are unified to do one job and as such should be unified in appearance
- all LEO need to be identified easily by the public (those in uniform of course... we aren't talking undercover here)
- so copycats who want to impersonate LEO will have a tough time doing so. (There is only one outfitter that is authorized to make the patches, etc for the LEO uniforms for any department)

Taking these things in mind, if I saw a bearded and turban wearing person wearing a police uniform, I would call 911 and say there is someone impersonating a LEO. The main reason for that is because the image of what a police officer is has been skewed. Am I a bigot and refusing to be culturally diverse? NO!! A police officer wears a uniform in order to be easily identified as a police officer to the public. I frankly would be leery of someone dressed as a police officer with more facial hair than a mustache and wearing anything on their head other than the prescribed uniformed headgear.

But, why would I be surprised by any strange policies coming out of Washington, DC?
No you are not a bigot...if you are then I am too...you couldn't have put it any clearer. Thank you.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back