*D.C. Police to Allow Officers to Wear Full Beards and Turbans on the Job*

The_Outlaw

~The Dude Abides~
WTF??
Has the whole world gone crazy!?
Is this even the United States of America anymore?!?

D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier called the policy a “common-sense decision” and said it‘s important for the police force to have representation from all communities across the nation’s capital. “I have to remind myself sometimes that in my lifetime women were not allowed to ride in patrol cars along with men, and now I’m chief,” Lanier said during a news conference.

D.C. Police to Allow Sikh Officers to Wear Full Beards and Turbans | TheBlaze.com

“I think it’s a step forward not only for civil rights and religious freedom, I think it’s a step forward for law enforcement,” said Jasjit Singh, executive director of the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund.

~SMFH~

I thought most police departments were considered para-military organizations and conformed to things like uniform, appearance, jewelry, standards, and such. Next thing you know, they'll be allowed to wear ceremonial robes with lanyard badges and have to pull over their squad car to side of the road and radio in a "signal-x" for prayers. We're now the land of the "do whatever you feel like". If this nonsense continues, we will no longer be "united". It's not a religious thing, but a political correctness thing. PC is wrecking society. Every faction has an agenda which is eroding our fundamental strengths. I'm fine with a LEO being a muslim, but leave your religion at the door please.

I thought most police departments were considered para-military organizations and conformed to things like uniform, appearance, jewelry, standards, and such. Next thing you know, they'll be allowed to wear ceremonial robes with lanyard badges and have to pull over their squad car to side of the road and radio in a "signal-x" for prayers. We're now the land of the "do whatever you feel like". If this nonsense continues, we will no longer be "united". It's not a religious thing, but a political correctness thing. PC is wrecking society. Every faction has an agenda which is eroding our fundamental strengths. I'm fine with a LEO being a muslim, but leave your religion at the door please.

I agree with you 110%.
Unfortunately I think that we should now be known as the D.S.A. 'The Divided States of America'.

I wonder if it applies to all officers or will it only be for the religious ones I know we are only allowed a mustache here in my part of Kentucky

Send her to one of those countries to see if they adjust their laws/rules about women, being cops or chief. She would be surprised!

Last thing I want on me as LE is something for someone to grab in a ground squabble - a beard and a head rag! The first time a Sikh believing officers gets his arse handed to him because of his attire and grooming standards, watch the complaints and law suits fly. Uniformity in organizations are there for a reason and any beliefs, practices, orientation or opinions outside that organization should be removed/eliminated when you put on the uniform and badge.

I wonder if it applies to all officers or will it only be for the religious ones I know we are only allowed a mustache here in my part of Kentucky
When my husband was in Saudi Arabia (I came later to join him...) he was advised not to shave off his moustache...but that's another story for another day.

Anyway, why is it that these minorities seems to have more power than the original Americans that had already been here before them? What is wrong with this country?!?@?#?#?$$??$ Are the whites and others that had occupied this land the minorities now? Why is this being allowed???

Men allowed to wear their beards is always a good idea!

Turbans are another issue.

Before anyone laughs at Sikhs, one should remember they are brave warriors. Those who fought in the service of the British hold a record number(per capita) Of Victoria Cross decorations.

Bearing arms is a DUTY to Sikh males!

One should consider these issues before dismissing them as a bunch of so called "Rag-Heads."

-Doc

Before anyone laughs at Sikhs, one should remember they are brave warriors. Those who fought in the service of the British hold a record number(per capita) Of Victoria Cross decorations.

One should consider these issues before dismissing them as a bunch of so called "Rag-Heads."

-Doc

I still do not think they have their place here where we have a different society than they have...our police departments here and mostly around the world do not have police wearing turbans other than where these kinds of people are situated. In case of danger, they are even required to wear helmets for protection. I will be very careful of those that wear their turbans...one day it will not only be turbans but also their gowns, whatever they are called.

I wanna C LEO's in Kilts. I'm Just saying, bend over & pick up my bag 4 me please?

But really its a Uniform it shouldn't have anything 2 Do with religion, it should be for safety & recognition, so we know who the cops are. STUPID.

johnmed3:311536 said:
Send her to one of those countries to see if they adjust their laws/rules about women, being cops or chief. She would be surprised!

Now there's a good metric against which to judge...if the fanatic jerk-offs won't do it...neither will we!

Sound reasoning.

-Doc

They are also NOT Muslims. They are an outgrowth of Hinduism. Yes, they have some of the same traditions, like praying five times a day, but they are praying to gurus, not Allah. They also frown upon violence, except as necessary to protect the innocent, and have no interest in converting others to their faith. Their goals in life are to become good spouses and parents and do right by their communities.

Now as to whether they should be allowed to be out of uniform, I dunno. Not a topic I'm particularly concerned about.

As I live in a suburb of Toronto, (Buffalo NY) we get the Canadian News **and beer**. They have gone through all of this with bus drivers etc wearing the turban, except that one of the sects requires that a dagger be hidden in the turban.
We all have to remember that most Chief's of Police were not good cops, they are political.
The administration and actual police work are not done by the chief.
Yes I am sure that there are one or two who were actually a good cop. But in general they are butt kissin ladder climbing political animals.
The Association of Chiefs of Police rarely reflect the views of the work a day cop on the street.
Just sayin.
This guy is trying to impress someone to further his own career.

But my religion, culture, and forefathers say that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed....guess I'm SOL.

Funny what we choose to respect.

-Doc

I never called them 'Rag heads'....So please don't assume/imply that.

Also, be advised, there is a tactical reason for law enforcement officers to not have beards.
'Why not?', you may ask?
Because if/when a police officer needs to put on his/her gas mask (as in a riot situation) the rubber on the gas mask 'must be able to seal itself' against the skin of the officers face.
A beard would render the gas mask ineffective because the gas fumes would leak through the beard and then into the officers eyes, nose & face incapacitating the officer.
That's just one of the very valid reasons why this whole 'allowing the beards thing' is a very stupid idea i.m.h.o.

I never called them 'Rag heads'....So please don't assume/imply that.

Also, be advised, there is a tactical reason for law enforcement officers to not have beards.
'Why not?', you may ask?
Because if/when a police officer needs to put on his/her gas mask (as in a riot situation) the rubber on the gas mask 'must be able to seal itself' against the skin of the officers face.
A beard would render the gas mask ineffective because the gas fumes would leak through the beard and then into the officers eyes, nose & face incapacitating the officer.
That's just one of the very valid reasons why this whole 'allowing the beards thing' is a very stupid idea i.m.h.o.

Sorry but the mask business is a myth.

I own several masks that seal quite well despite my beard. It does NOT vary by mask design either. I would have no trouble with them in a chemical environment.

This MAY be an issue with long beards, but a short beard has no trouble sealing.

I have read where it is proven that chemical agents penetrate SHAVED skin better, due to destruction of the epidermal layer. This is probably why shaving a patients skin before surgery is now very much frowned on.

When I was in medical school, all the operating rooms were well posted with signs like this:

Link Removed

http://fc05.deviantart.net/images2/i/2004/05/3/4/MallardX__No_Shave.jpg

The published literature is on this is overwhelming. Despite this, there are lots of "Dinosaur Docs" in the world that would rather indulge their hair phobic bias, than protect their patients.

Ditto on Doctor ties.

-Doc

WTF??
Has the whole world gone crazy!?
Is this even the United States of America anymore?!?

D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier called the policy a “common-sense decision” and said it‘s important for the police force to have representation from all communities across the nation’s capital. “I have to remind myself sometimes that in my lifetime women were not allowed to ride in patrol cars along with men, and now I’m chief,” Lanier said during a news conference.

D.C. Police to Allow Sikh Officers to Wear Full Beards and Turbans | TheBlaze.com

“I think it’s a step forward not only for civil rights and religious freedom, I think it’s a step forward for law enforcement,” said Jasjit Singh, executive director of the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund.

~SMFH~
Let's see. A police officer doesn't have the "right" to "stop" someone based on their appearance for fear of being accused of "profiling." Yet that same officer in Washington D.C. has the "right" to dress in such a manner as to identify with a specific segment of the populace. OK, what the hell am I missing?

Sorry but the mask business is a myth.

I own several masks that seal quite well despite my beard. It does NOT vary by mask design either. I would have no trouble with them in a chemical environment.

-Doc

~SMH~
So then what 'you' are saying is that everything that the Drill Sergeants taught us in the Military Police in regards to gas masks was 'a myth'??

Have you ever even 'been inside' the chicken coop? Because it's no joke believe me.

Sorry Doc, but you are wrong on this one.

Just because a drill sergeant says it, doesn't make it fact. Military dicta can perpetuate fallacy indefinitely!

The military can make it so by decree. A concept totally non-dependent on fact!

I can ask someone 'Why is it so..?" and get the reply ..because my drill sergeant says so.."

The US Army surgery manual said that lacerated arteries must be ligated and the limb amputated! A group of surgeons in Korea disobeyed, risking court-martial and prison to prove the army dicta-wrong! Guess what, vascular surgeons rarely need to amputate for simple lacs! The whole US Army Medical Corps was WRONG!

I CAN seal my masks just fine with a beard! It doesn't matter what my drill sergeant said.

The whole DoD can say it doesn't seal! It changes nothing! The reality is THE MASK SEALS!

ALL MY MASKS SEAL!

-Doc

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back