Cycling assault.

alextpearson

Recently in my community a individual was riding a bicycle along a bike trail. Parts of this trail runs through wooded areas. The individual was wearing a backpack. While riding though the wooded section the cyclist was attacked by someone whom grabbed him by his backpack and another assailant whom attacked him while the other took off with his bag iPhone and wallet and backpack.

I also ride this trail 4-5 times weekly. I carry a Camelback Backpack. But I never carry my gun with me while I ride (which will be changing). I was wondering if anyone knew of a comfortable holster to use while riding. I have a Walther p22, Taurus 24/7 .40 cal pro as well as a Taurus 1911. My normal CCW is the 24/7 Pro. I was thinking of a upper thigh holster not sure if that's a good or bad idea.

The other question is how would you handle this situation. If you were physically "jumped" while riding a bicycle!

This is a tough one, I have a pocket style pistol (LC9) and I carry it just like that while i cycle...my pocket. I challenge you this though, I have tried and it is tough. Once you find ur holster (assuming the range allows it) try taking your bike or pretending such, and being pushed off, drawing from the pocket and placing shots. I wont lie, I have not been very successful, maybe 1 in 6 shots will hit to a effective area. This assumes for 3 foot target that is not moving. Its not easy, but its better then nothing

Yea-- when I ride my bike in in Summer weather I carry in a fanny pack holster with the pack in the back instead of the front. Wearing it in the front can get a little uncomfortable at times.
I usually have a little 380 in my pocket too but that's just because the 380 is always in my pocket

Pocket, cross-draw or appendix (if you have a slim enough build). I would think once they grab you by surprise you are down on the ground grappling and they are concentrating on your backpack and/or bike so practice. Practice (dry or better w a dummy gun) how you would draw while still on your bike and on the ground grappling. I think you'll find it is much quicker and less printed to draw from the front in either circumstance.

Situational awareness is number 1. You walk or ride or hike where no one else is around--dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah. If this is a problem and you insist on riding there--of course keep your eyes on more than your front tire and BE PREPARED. Try to ride with a group and not by yourself--less of a chance of a problem. Would also be nice if others in the group were armed. It is good that you are asking on the forum--good place to get ideas that you can use to protect yourself while enjoying cycling.
There is an outdoor shooting range in a national forest near my home and unless I am going with a several people I do not go there and even then it is sparingly. Middle of woods, no one within earshot (duh--that is why the range is where it is), and I have firearms ripe for ripoff. Shoot me dead and no one will find me until the next shooter arrives.

I've seen a holster that is designed for jogging. It straps to the chest. It is pretty obvious what it is for but it should meet the concealed carry requirements.

I regularly carry a fanny pack when being active. It hardly gets a second look. try wearing it on the side of your body. Regarding being attacked, Keep yourself alert and if you can't just speed off, try to dump your bike between you and them. If they come at you from both sides, dump it in front of the nearest one, move off at an angle to both of them. Now you can deal with them one at a time. Get some martial arts training. Good topic!

Agree with the fanny pack advice, I carry a Taurus .357 magnum 2" barrel that way, and am very active as well (biking, triathlon, kayaking, camping and backpacking, etc). The fact you can get into trouble so easily when you're out makes carrying during these periods a very good idea, but limits the ways you can do so. Fanny packs may not be a fashion statement, but if you're protecting yourself, do you really care what other people think? The ones who make fun of fanny packs would be the last ones to count on for help when you need it.

The fanny pack seems like a good idea. But, if I put myself into the bad guy's mind.... I might try to grab the fanny pack first, thinking that there might be a wallet, cash, credit cards, or something else of value inside of it. People do carry more than just tissues and lip gloss inside of them. They also carry nice concealed guns in some of them. In this particular situation, in my opinion, fanny packs seem good and bad at the same time. Easier to carry, but it may end up being the first thing that the crook tries to grab off of your body, then you are unarmed. The element of surprise, as well as being stunned by hitting the ground, may give the BG just enough advantage to grab that pack right off of you before you know what hit you. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with WorshipViolin, putting your gun in off body carry to protect from criminals known to steal bags??? If you wear a wind breaker or something similar you might think about a shoulder holster. A belly band might be comfortable. You would certainly be able to move it around to a workable position. What ever you settle on be sure to practice. Interesting question.

It's a tough one. I used to ride road bikes a lot in my younger days. No back pack 'cause the rides weren't longer that a few hours. I had a few instances when I was threatened or run off the road. There was one time I wish I had had a gun, but I would have had to be carrying it in my jersey's center rear pocket?? The piece would have been easy to get to but not very secure, bouncing around and uncomfortable. I was not attacked, but came close to that. The guy obviously grew up as an abusive bully. If I had drawn a weapon, he probably would have dared me to shoot him, or if he threw a punch and I shot him 'cause I felt my life was threatened? I could still be in jail. I think you're better off carrying a can of the strongest MACE you can find. Easier to carry, non-deadly, give you time to call 911 and ride away. My wife used to carry it in case of dog attack. Better than nothing...

Mace/pepper spray is a great idea (always be armed with a firearm too if at all possible) You could even mount a can of bear spray on your handlebars....

While a fanny pack seems like a good idea I would just worry a assailant would also go for the pack. While you can try to profile everyone and be prepare you really never know.
I have a couple of other things I wanted to get opinions on. Let say you were assaulted and able to get you gun out and you had to use it. Where would you shoot? Why? And after you have discharged you firearm and you have the situation under control. How would you proceed from that point.
I would think that calling the cops could wind up bad. Even you explained the situation to the dispatcher what the situation is.

To understand the reason I'm asking about this is because I live in a large college town that has a very antigun view

I would carry mace/pepper spray Velcroed to the handlebars. Then it doesn't matter where you're carrying, you can start spraying and have a few moments to get to your firearm. Though I also think a thigh holster would be a pretty effective deterrent, plus offer you quick access.

Ysterday there was this news on our local channel about this woman (she just came back from Iraq) who was jumped on from behind her back at one of the trails somewhere here in Missiouri. She screamed as loud as she can and was able to get away, running zigzagged fashion, as reported. Anyway, I wasn't paying much attention as I was cooking at the time but I remember the original post in this topic.

I noticed that much of the trail around this area curves to where it becomes impossible to see the joggers/walkers, etc., hardly noticeable at all. Where I came from, the biking, sports trails were almost always within sight of a main street so motorists can actually see you.

Look, if someone is close enough to grab your fanny pack, they are close enough for you to hurt them with a poke to the eye, throat, armpit, or groin. You could also break a finger or two while they are struggling with your BUCKLED fanny pack. Pepper spray is an excellent less-than-lethal first step.

Incidentally, we should all have "In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob in our personal Libraries. It should be required reading for anyone who plans to defend themselves!

Using lethal force for what was described as a non-lethal mugging may not go well for you from a legal perspective. That scenario as described would probaly not justify lethal force in most states. I can see where the situation as described could go in a more lethal direction, which would make my first choice the pepper spray, and then a gun if the situation worsened and warranted such. It is difficult because being on a bike puts the individual in a complex reactive position that can make any type of defensive move more difficult.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back