Current state of CCW in Denver?

raytracer

A fellow member of KSCCW.com was just in Denver and was hassled by the police for CCW on a KS permit. He was told that "they could arrest him, but they'd give him a break this time".

All my research indicates that Colorado has preemption for CCW and while Denver may have a municipal ordinance against CCW, it is illegal and unenforceable.

What is the reality of the situation - especially concerning visitors from out of state who will have a harder time fighting an illegal arrest and prosecution?

Concealed carry is legal in all areas of the state, and yes, you're right, no local municipalities can preempt state law.

But I have heard of people being hassled in Denver and Boulder, even though they have no legal standing to do so.

Probably why they chose to 'give him a break this time'. False arrest lawsuits can be EXPENSIVE on a city.

Police can harass you anytime they want, knowing they have no legal grounds to do so. They try to instigate an altercation so they can have a legal reason to arrest you and confiscate your weapon and make you go through the expense and aggravation of getting it back through the legal system.

A fellow member of KSCCW.com was just in Denver and was hassled by the police for CCW on a KS permit. He was told that "they could arrest him, but they'd give him a break this time".

What was he doing that led to the police interaction in the first place?

Not sure - couldn't get the all the details. Reading between the lines, he may have been open carrying, in which case he was in violation.

It alarmed me a bit since I'm in Denver several times a year and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to run into trouble.

Joe

As to Denver CCW, I went on the Colorado State Police web site Tues eve 29Jan13 (had to go to Denver Wed and am Ks CCH holder) and copied the webpage including where the Co statute reference is given where a city cannot enact ordinances restricting CC carry in the state. Had said copy on me just in case.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back