Current non-res turnaround time

dustindu4

It took me about 8 weeks to get mine back.

No more "all lawful purposes", now it says "RESTRICTION: NONE"

It took me about 8 weeks to get mine back.

No more "all lawful purposes", now it says "RESTRICTION: NONE"

Congrats! I don't get it. It is way easier for Non-resident permits. Residents jump through way more hoops and get knocked down. Gotta love PRMA...haha I so need to move.

I just received my application today for non-res MA permit. They've changed the app and now make you appear in person in Chelsea. Great. :mad:

I just received my application today for non-res MA permit. They've changed the app and now make you appear in person in Chelsea. Great. :mad:

You have to go to Chelsea now? What if you lived far away but commuted here every so often? How would this work? I feel for ya man! Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

You have to go to Chelsea now? What if you lived far away but commuted here every so often? How would this work? I feel for ya man! Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

The whole process has changed starting August 1st. Now you will no longer have to obtain fingerprints from local police.

Applicants no longer need to get passport size photograph

An LTC will be issued on a wallet sized, digitally printed plastic card

And you have to appear in person.

Has MA always required proof of a home state license? I live in Maryland where we can't get one (even though it is technically "may issue") Am I SOL when it comes to MA? I have permits from VA, FL and NH. Currently doing CT

Last edited:
I just got mine renewed a couple weeks back and nothing was mentioned to me about going in person for future renewals. I'm sure though, when I renew I'll get the "new" appl.
By mailing in the appl., it usually took like 2 months or a little longer. I'm wondering how long it will take now the new way? This is all done by appointment also, correct??
Maybe I'll bring up an application online to see what it looks like. Thnx. for the info.!

capo, "from living far away and having to have to go in person"........like You have said before, that's MA. again trying to deter people from getting their license's. They will do anything to piss people off to the point that it'll be not worht it to get a license in MA. Just make things more difficult.

I just got mine renewed a couple weeks back and nothing was mentioned to me about going in person for future renewals. I'm sure though, when I renew I'll get the "new" appl.
By mailing in the appl., it usually took like 2 months or a little longer. I'm wondering how long it will take now the new way? This is all done by appointment also, correct??
Maybe I'll bring up an application online to see what it looks like. Thnx. for the info.!

capo, "from living far away and having to have to go in person"........like You have said before, that's MA. again trying to deter people from getting their license's. They will do anything to piss people off to the point that it'll be not worht it to get a license in MA. Just make things more difficult.

It’s crazy how they do things here. For a resident we need to do the following...

1) Pick up an application from local PD
2) Take a class that the state will recognize as actually being a "class"
3) Make an appointment with your local PD for a meeting, more like an interrogation if you ask me...
4) Pay $100 to the PD, which is non-refundable even if you don't get your permit
5) Wait a long time to see if you even get a permit (it may not even be the one you applied for because they can deny you or knock you down as the chief sees fit)
6) Go to purchase a firearm....get back round checked alllllllll over again....and then get your firearm

And they want to make this tougher???????

Yeahhhhhhhhh I highly doubt a criminal follows that process or even is aware that there is a process....keep thinking this works PRMA...

From what I saw on here in USACarry under MA., a resident whether it is New or Renewal must take it (completed application) to your local police dept., where as a Non-Res., must now CALL the Fire Arms Bureau first.
For a MA. Res., you do not mail application to the Fire Arms Bureau in Chelsea but instead mail it to your local police dept.??
It’s crazy how they do things here. For a resident we need to do the following...

1) Pick up an application from local PD
2) Take a class that the state will recognize as actually being a "class"
3) Make an appointment with your local PD for a meeting, more like an interrogation if you ask me...
4) Pay $100 to the PD, which is non-refundable even if you don't get your permit
5) Wait a long time to see if you even get a permit (it may not even be the one you applied for because they can deny you or knock you down as the chief sees fit)
6) Go to purchase a firearm....get back round checked alllllllll over again....and then get your firearm

And they want to make this tougher???????

Yeahhhhhhhhh I highly doubt a criminal follows that process or even is aware that there is a process....keep thinking this works PRMA...

What I meant to ask on my last statement was, what is the current procedure for a MA. res.? Have you always mailed your new/renewal appl to Chelsea or have you always mailed it to your local police dept.?
In which case now, a MA. res. has to BRING it to their local dept. OR state for a new/renewal and not mail it.

What I meant to ask on my last statement was, what is the current procedure for a MA. res.? Have you always mailed your new/renewal appl to Chelsea or have you always mailed it to your local police dept.?
In which case now, a MA. res. has to BRING it to their local dept. OR state for a new/renewal and not mail it.

Sambo,

In PRMA we have to bring it to our local PD...they review it, call you, and make an appt for you to come down. The whole PRMA process is to try and discourage you from your right.

I am not 100% sure on this. Do you have the Non-Res application? I am hoping it says it on there.

It specifically says home state but has a provision if your state does not issue them. Get a letter from your local police chief, notarized, confirming there would be no reason for you not to get one from MA. Also, notarized documentation saying my state does not issue a LTC.

Here's the problem: Maryland DOES issue them but only once every century.

From what you said there....I believe you will need a Permit from MD.....Maybe ask your police chief if there is anything he can do? You never know....however, I don't think you would get far, depends on if he is pro 2A in my opinion

From what you said there....I believe you will need a Permit from MD.....Maybe ask your police chief if there is anything he can do? You never know....however, I don't think you would get far, depends on if he is pro 2A in my opinion

Still trying to get an answer on this issue of whether or not I need a permit from Maryland. I have two permits from neighboring MA states! Come on!

Still trying to get an answer on this issue of whether or not I need a permit from Maryland. I have two permits from neighboring MA states! Come on!

Welcome to the PRMA process...nothing is clear and cut. Do you have a MA application? If so I am sure there is some number on there to call. I honestly don't know how it works for NON-RES since I never have dealt with the process before. PRMA has a very confusing system. Best of luck to you and keep us updated.

-Capo-

Welcome to the PRMA process...nothing is clear and cut. Do you have a MA application? If so I am sure there is some number on there to call. I honestly don't know how it works for NON-RES since I never have dealt with the process before. PRMA has a very confusing system. Best of luck to you and keep us updated.

-Capo-

Yeah, I'm going to call them today and find out their view on the matter. I'll pray that neighboring state permits will suffice. :unsure: Hell, I have six non-res permits! Have I not demonstrated competence at this point?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back