Current non-res turnaround time

Once again, screwed by the state of Maryland. I spoke to a very friendly person at the Firearms Bureau who told me that the statute is written so that they can only give carry permits to those who have them from their home state. He did not have any issue with giving me one but that is the way the law is written.

Amazing, my 21 year old brother who spent ten dollars for a laser printer printed permit from New Hampshire can get a MA LTC while my sorry Maryland self cannot. And I have 6 out of state permits to boot.

I HATE MARYLAND. :mad:

I have a question about the Non resident permit. I currently have permits from NY and PA, the problem that NY is my home state and the county that I live in places a restriction on the permit by default. Even though the permit is technically a CCP and the words Carry is written right on the permit there is a bigger stamp on it that says target use only. Is it even worth it to apply for MA because of the restriction on my home permit, I don't want any restrictions up here. I go to school up here so I may or may not stay in this state, and getting a class A will have a lot to do with that decision.

I have a question about the Non resident permit. I currently have permits from NY and PA, the problem that NY is my home state and the county that I live in places a restriction on the permit by default. Even though the permit is technically a CCP and the words Carry is written right on the permit there is a bigger stamp on it that says target use only. Is it even worth it to apply for MA because of the restriction on my home permit, I don't want any restrictions up here. I go to school up here so I may or may not stay in this state, and getting a class A will have a lot to do with that decision.

From what I can tell, MA will give you exactly what your home state has given you. Permit for target only. If you live in the most liberal (carry permit wise) state, MA will give you a permit equivalent to that. Go figure.

From what I can tell, MA will give you exactly what your home state has given you. Permit for target only. If you live in the most liberal (carry permit wise) state, MA will give you a permit equivalent to that. Go figure.

All MA Non-Res permits to my knowledge are Concealed Carry Permits. The non-res ons are not restricted at all. It is either denied or granted.

Non residents needed to attend a state approved firearms class, submit fingerprints, photo (passport size), fill out questionere and a check for $100. This for the privilege of carying for 12 months....

Now for the changes:

All of the above except a photo and fingerprints, they do this in Chelsea MA.

So one needs to send the application and $100. I did this in early September for renewal and did not get an appointment for photo and fingerprints until mid October. Once they take your fingerprints and photo you must wait 3-4 weeks for the fingerprints to be run, and permit card to be mailed to you.

So a two month renewal process for a license that is only good for 12 months. Also, the new requirement making all out of state applicants show up for photo and fingerprints in Chelsea has most likely purged at least 50% of applicants due to the inconvenience.

Renewals will also require full fingerprints each year, I was told that "fingerprints change" so you must show up each year.....

Massachusetts residents - Wake up! These changes are occurring behind closed doors and become law without notice or imput.

Non residents needed to attend a state approved firearms class, submit fingerprints, photo (passport size), fill out questionere and a check for $100. This for the privilege of carying for 12 months....

Now for the changes:

So one needs to send the application and $100. I did this in early September for renewal and did not get an appointment for photo and fingerprints until mid October. Once they take your fingerprints and photo you must wait 3-4 weeks for the fingerprints to be run, and permit card to be mailed to you.

So a two month renewal process for a license that is only good for 12 months. Also, the new requirement making all out of state applicants show up for photo and fingerprints in Chelsea has most likely purged at least 50% of applicants due to the inconvenience.

Renewals will also require full fingerprints each year, I was told that "fingerprints change" so you must show up each year.....

Massachusetts residents - Wake up! These changes are occurring behind closed doors and become law without notice or imput.

Where can one take the approved class? A standard NRA Basic Pistol Course no longer works?

Now for the changes:

They do this so it will deter you from getting a license especially from MA. Instead of going after criminals, they go after law abiding citizens. I don't go for my non-res until next June. So, I guess I'll be taking a half day out of work (paid) sometime when my appnt comes up for photo/prints.

According to Mass Public Safety...NRA Basic is acceptable...

Although there are 18 courses that are acceptable, they must be given by a MA certified instructor who also issues a MA State Police training certificate. In addition to the normal course curriculum (i.e. NRA Basic Pistol), the instructor must provide information on MA licensing, storage and transportation requirements.

So you are saying I need MA approval on my course? I planned on moving to VA or MI so I could get a resident permit using my NRA basic course...

So you are saying I need MA approval on my course? I planned on moving to VA or MI so I could get a resident permit using my NRA basic course...

Read the cover letter on the new Link Removed. You'll also note that MA no longer arbitrarily issues unrestricted licenses, and that you must make a personal appearance at the Firearms Records Bureau in Chelsea, MA.

I believe you can inquire about out-of-state MA certified instructors from Mrs. Hoyle at the Firearms Licensing unit at MA State Police HQ. Her direct line is 508-988-7434.

I can assure you that MA NEVER "arbitrarily" issued Class A permits. With the new changes its obvious that the goal is to significantly cut permits issued.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lawsuit in the pipeline as it is a unreasonable expectation for those who live greater distances.

I have mailed in all the paperwork early Dec 09 and paitently waiting to hear back. Application says it takes 40 days to hear back to set up photo/fingerprint appt. Took the Mass safety class from my friend who teaches it a Police officer and ride with other officers. Currently have NH (resident), Pa and Me. non resident. Lets all hope it goes well.

My brother sent in his paperwork a few weeks ago and has not received the appointment yet. I'll keep this thread up to date as it progresses.

It irritates the hell out of me I cannot get a MA permit because MD won't issue me one. All of the mail in states have given me one because they are reasonable unlike MD (I have non-res permits from CT, FL, ME, NH, UT, VA)

My brother sent in his paperwork a few weeks ago and has not received the appointment yet. I'll keep this thread up to date as it progresses.

It irritates the hell out of me I cannot get a MA permit because MD won't issue me one. All of the mail in states have given me one because they are reasonable unlike MD (I have non-res permits from CT, FL, ME, NH, UT, VA)

No PA in that list?

$26 Mail in

OT:

I considered trying for MA...but it doesnt seem worth the hassle for a 1 year license. :fie:

No PA in that list?

$26 Mail in

OT:

I considered trying for MA...but it doesnt seem worth the hassle for a 1 year license. :fie:

PA requires a home state license. MD will not issue me one.

It's worth it if it pisses them off enough. Granted $100 is worth a hell of a lot more to some people than it is others. But just the 'privilege' to carry there is enough to make me do it

PA requires a home state license. MD will not issue me one.

It's worth it if it pisses them off enough. Granted $100 is worth a hell of a lot more to some people than it is others. But just the 'privilege' to carry there is enough to make me do it

oppss.....i looked right at your location after i posed that...and it didnt even click. Sorry about that...:wacko:

I thought that any local MA P.D. could process an out of state application.I visited my cousin last year and he said that he renewed his permit and asked the officer the requirements to apply if out of state.The officer said as long as he comes in person with a letter from his local P.D.and has a valid carry permit they would start the process to issue a permit which is good for only one year.Can CT be done by mail like PA?.

If you get caught in Nasau or Suffolk carrying out of restrictions prepare to get the permit revolked.Every county is allowed to put restrictions there is case law.The state has it written that way in the penal law.Many permits get yanked in Nassau & Suffolk,I can tell you this as I have stopped many permit holders from Nassau & Suffolk,you better be coming from or going to a range.Make sure you have a range bag belong to a 24 hour range because many of the cops I know are anti-gun and are quick to report you to pistol license section for your violating the restriction.This is what is taught to the recruits in NYPD,NCPD,SCPD that the police can carry 24-7 and permits issued to civilians are very restricted.Centre county PA is the only place that allows a restricted permit a LTC in PA .

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back