CT non-resident permit

If you take an NRA class make sure it's BASIC PISTOL. They reject FIRST STEPS PISTOL as sufficient training.

As they should. But the NRA has standards for issuance of its Basic Pistol course that include class hours, written examination, and live fire, no?

CT will accept NRA Basic Pistol plus equivalent courses (i.e. S&W, SigSauer Academy). Minimum requirements include 10 hours of instruction and live fire. The newest version of NRA Basic Pistol is only 8 hours, but CT has not commented yet. I add a session on CT firearm law to make up the difference.

CT will accept NRA Basic Pistol plus equivalent courses (i.e. S&W, SigSauer Academy). Minimum requirements include 10 hours of instruction and live fire. The newest version of NRA Basic Pistol is only 8 hours, but CT has not commented yet. I add a session on CT firearm law to make up the difference.

When I took NRA Basic in 2009 it was only 8 hours...worked just fine when I got the CT permit.

Ct non-resident permit

I'm applying for CT permit this week and I'm glad I found so much good info on this site. I already have my non-resident permits from Utah, Florida, Virginia, Arizona, New Hampshire and Maine. NH will issue you a permit in about two weeks once you have a permit from any state, and they don't require fingerprints. Arizona states that you must take their state course for a permit, but they will make an exception if you have taken an NRA pistol course to prove that you have training. I received my AZ permit one week after I applied. Florida and Virginia require the NRA pistol course and you'll get your permit in about a month. Maine was pretty easy,they mailed me a complete application packet and it took less than 3 months to get my permit. Utah is also pretty easy, but you MUST take their course from a CERTIFIED UTAH instructor. Utah's permit is a great deal because it covers 30 states for only $65.25 for five years and the renewal is only $10.00 for another five years and it only took five weeks to receive their permit.

Connecticut's descriptions of NRA classes, particularly concerning the number of hours of instruction, have been out of date for a while now.

When I applied for my CT nonresident permit, the FBI rejected the fingerprints as unreadable, so I had them done again and mailed the second set to CT on May 18. After more than 11 weeks, CT says they're still waiting to hear from the FBI.

I see this morning that the site has changed CT from "shall issue" to "may issue" on its reciprocity maps.

Is it possible that CT has electronic fingerprint scanning instead of ink? Most police departments in NY now have Live Scan and is sent directly to FBI and NY DCJS. Does CT have L1 Enrollment for FBI and CT State Police Fingerprinting? Process would be quicker too!

Ink prints only

Is it possible that CT has electronic fingerprint scanning instead of ink? Most police departments in NY now have Live Scan and is sent directly to FBI and NY DCJS. Does CT have L1 Enrollment for FBI and CT State Police Fingerprinting? Process would be quicker too!
They might but it's not part of their application procedure. They require two fingerprint cards; the standard blue FBI card FD-258 and a green State card or did at the time I applied. You have to contact CT DPS for the non-resident packet. Since CT is borderline may issue, I would not rock the boat on this issue. I had my in ink prints rolled at a local UPS Store and had no issue with my permit being issued.

Keep in mind that if they did live scan, you have to travel to their fingerprinting facility to do it. That's the way it's done in Florida and Nevada. The issuing jurisdiction has to do the live scan. There is no reciprocity for fingerprinting. LVMPD in Clark County does live scan where your prints are sent to the NV Criminal Repository and the FBI. Florida has a list of LEAs who will do live scan for their CWFL. However you need to go to them. You cannot do a live scan in your home state then have the live scan transmitted to them or the FBI.

Utah while very CCW friendly only accepts in ink fingerprint cards since they just forward the cards to the FBI and put their sticker over the ORI. Fingerprinting procedures were briefly covered when I took the UT CFP instructor class last weekend for my renewal. We had the pleasure of a Utah fingerprinting tech attending the class to clear up any issues for instructors who do their own fingerprinting.

I was rushing to get to the post office to complete my money orders so I can send out my non-resident application to CT. Well i rushed and got it out of the post office just before it closed last week. Guess What? Yesterday I get my application back certified mail and inside is a incomplete letter stating i need to include 3 checks for processing?? I'm confused, I sent it with the application but then I go check my folder that I made copy's of everything just in case. What do I find? You guessed it, the money order's!!! DAM I feel like an *ss

I wish I could remember precisely for you. I do remember that my time wasn't too bad (weeks, not months), even though the FBI rejected the first set of fingerprints, and I had to get printed again and send another set. The people in the Connecticut office were helpful and pleasant, not officious in any way.

New England is strange. No permit is needed for Vermont, and Maine, New Hampshire, and Connecticut all readily issue nonresident permits. Massachusetts and Rhode Island don't want to issue permits and throw roadblocks in your way.

So even though the Basic pistol course that i had to take in MA for my LTC Class A (which i just received), that will be sufficient for the CT non-resident? On my certificate it states that it is sufficient for an LTC, but its from the MA state police not CT. Not sure if that matters?

So even though the Basic pistol course that i had to take in MA for my LTC Class A (which i just received), that will be sufficient for the CT non-resident? On my certificate it states that it is sufficient for an LTC, but its from the MA state police not CT. Not sure if that matters?

I got CT permit with Basic taken in PA. No problem where it was taken

By any chance have you since gotten a non-resident permit and can tell us what the turn around time was?

For anyone still curious, the turn around time on a CT non-res permit for me was a little more than 19 weeks (slightly over 4 months). I submitted mine in early Oct 2013 and received it in Mid Feb 2014.

I called the licensing division in Jan to inquire about the status and was informed that 4 months is the typical time for non-res permits right now.

do I have to return it

I left CT a few years ago, and my CT permit finally expired. Does anyone know if I have to return it to the CT State Gestapo, or can I just destroy it, or keep it as a keepsake?
(I would choke myself, before I would voluntarily pay another cent to the fascist government of the Unconstitutional State!)

I wrote to the CT Gestapo, but they haven't responded yet.
(I know CT is a full-retard state in such things. So, I want to make sure. My mom got an expired car registration bill with all the penalties and interest MORE THAN 10 YEARS after she left CT, because she didn't return the expired license plate to the CT DMV! Saying that she didn't know she had to do that, didn't make any difference either. She is still paying it off...)

So glad I left that part of the Fourth Reich! My condolences to all the 2A people stuck there...

What hold did the State of Connecticut have over your mom so that she had to pay them? She committed no crime. She can't be extradited. She should have ignored any and all mailings.

I doubt that you have to return an expired CCW permit. Are you required to surrender an expired driver's license?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back