CT non-resident permit

tomcat017

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the non-resident application process. I read that residents must fist apply for a local permit, and then the state. I've read conflicting info for non-residents though--do we have to do the same? Will it involve a trip to CT? I'm wondering, b/c someone here posted that you must show an embossed birth certificate, and I doubt you could do that via a photocopy. Last question: does anyone think that CT will accept the UT safety course as sufficient? Otherwise I have to go and take the NRA basic pistol as well. Anyway, many thanks! Cheers,

-Mike

Made some phone calls, and for anyone who is interested, here's the deal: Non residents need not apply for a local permit anymore. UT class "should be" sufficient, but if you want to be sure, take the NRA basic pistol.

The application is a bit confusing: here's a question for anyone who might know. On the back of the fingerprint card, it asks if you've ever been convicted of breaking any law. That would seem to include traffic tickets, right?

I don't believe non-residents ever had to apply for a local pistol permit. The ANY CCW requirement if you're out of State satisfies the local permit requirement.

I put none for breaking any law. Just about everyone has a small number of traffic cites. I didn't put mine much less do I remember when and where the few I've had since I've had a driver license have occurred. Keep in mind that traffic cites typically do not show up on an FBI background check providing you pay the fine or go to traffic school as they are considered to be civil infractions in most States.

IIRC correctly, the CT application calls for an NRA instructor number. I also don't recall if CT has a live fire requirement. If your UT instructor issued you a training certificate with their NRA instructor number you should be fine. If not, I would get some sort of training affidavit or certificate from them if they are willing to provide that with their NRA instructor number.

Another caveat about CT is they have (or had) two fingerprint cards. The standard blue FBI card and a green CT state card. This implies you must have the prints done in ink. The good thing is you only have to get fingerprinted for your initial application. Renewals do not require fingerprinting or at least didn't at the time I applied. My renewal isn't due until Oct 2010.

Thanks for the help net. When the sent me the packet, it included only the green CT fingerprint card. Anyway, thanks again,

Just an update to let everyone know about CT's current time frame:

I mailed my app on September 29th, received my LTC on November 6th. Just over a month--much better than I was expecting.

yup: "Target, self-protection, and all legal purposes." I believe that's word for word. Let us know how yours works out!

I put down protection and all other lawfull purpose.

I will get my prints done on friday along with my photos and I hope to get it out in fridays mail.

I will let you know how I make out

Larry

I am from Rockland county ny

It's usually alot better if you just put sport. Some departments will give you trouble over the whole self protection thing. You know how it is.

For the reason you're applying, just put down "all lawful purposes". CT does not issue restricted licenses, and they are good to work with.

The minimum training requirement is NRA Basic Pistol, and must include live fire. As an alternative, they have also accepted S&W and Sig Sauer equivalent courses. Link to CT requirement.

I hold a MA Class A LTC and will be applying for a CT Non-Resident LTC.

2 Questions:

Where / how do you go about getting a fingerprint card? Is this something that my local PD can do or do I have to go to a CT PD department or other location?

I took my Firearms safety course many years ago, but still have the certificate. Anyone know if this would still be acceptable and do I have to provide them with the original?

I hold a MA Class A LTC and will be applying for a CT Non-Resident LTC.

2 Questions:

Where / how do you go about getting a fingerprint card? Is this something that my local PD can do or do I have to go to a CT PD department or other location?

I took my Firearms safety course many years ago, but still have the certificate. Anyone know if this would still be acceptable and do I have to provide them with the original?

CT will include a blank fingerprint card in the application packet. Fill it out VERY carefully in black ink. You should then be able to have your prints taken, usually for a nominal fee, at your local PD. Call ahead to find out when is best to come in.

Is your firearms safety course an NRA basic class? If so, those certificates do not expire. I don't believe that CT has any restirction on when the class was taken either. You can call to make sure. I'm sure they would specify on the application too, if there were a maximum time allowance. Pretty sure you're good to go.

Is it NRA Basic Pistol Course? I tried to submit my papers for non-res CT using the Florida safety course certificate and they would not accept it. I wound up taking the NRA course with a local instructor a few days later. Just seemed simpler than trying to fight them. Copies are fine.

Is it NRA Basic Pistol Course? I tried to submit my papers for non-res CT using the Florida safety course certificate and they would not accept it. I wound up taking the NRA course with a local instructor a few days later. Just seemed simpler than trying to fight them. Copies are fine.

Did they give a reason for refusing that class?

From Link Removed

successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers including, but not limited to, a safety or training course in the use of pistols and revolvers available to the public offered by a law enforcement agency, a private or public educational institution or a firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Environmental Protection and a safety or training course in the use of pistols or revolvers conducted by an instructor certified by the state or the National Rifle Association,

Anyone know if this would still be acceptable and do I have to provide them with the original?

Do NOT send the original....see Section G of the applicatioin

Did they give a reason for refusing that class?

Well yes and no. The certificate I sent was signed by an NRA instructor, but it was given in Florida as part of that states requirement. It only said Firearm Safety Course. I think the deal killer was it made no mention of the amount of time the course took, as well as the live fire requirements. In retrospect, I think the NRA certificate for Basic Pistol really doesn't have that info either...but that's what they really wanted to see and that's what they are most familiar with. Maybe I just got a new person that day. They told me I had to locate and contact the original instructor, get a detailed course description and then have him sign and notarize a letter to them! Now I guess you can see why I opted for the NRA course (as luck would have it) given a few days later. Yeah, it cost me some extra cash but it was a done deal without any more major hassles for me. I faxed the certificate to them and I got my permit 3 weeks later.

Thanks for all the feedback and info.

I checked my NRA certificate and it is for the NRA Basic Pistol Marksmanship. I actually took the class back in 1990 when I lived in CT for my CT LTC permit. I let my license expire when I moved to MA, so I need to apply for the non-resident LTC now.

Your 1990 NRA Basic Pistol course certificate will be accepted by CT.

The fingerprint card can be done at your local PD. Read the instructions - make sure that the LEO uses a black pen. It's a standard FBI card, so they should be familiar with it.

If you go to the CT DPS building in Middletown, CT, they can do both fingerprints and photo and you can drop off the application. They're very accommodating.

Last time I had any experience with the CT pistol permit process, they specifically required live fire training. The requirements may have changed since then, my experience is from several years ago. Anyone have a more recent insight? Is live fire still required in the safety course?

Yes it is.

DPS Site

You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.

Criminal Record History

I hope someone can help me answer a question regarding the non-res CT permit application. The application seems to require you to provide the DPS with any criminal history but part of what we're paying for is for them to check our criminal history. Other states where I have obtained my permit have merely asked one to sign a release so they can get the information and don't require one to provide it. It doesn't make sense to provide them the detail that we are paying them to go and get. I have had a couple of minor scrapes over 20 years ago the details of which I cannot remember.

So if I'm understanding CT's process correctly, I would have to contact the FBI and get a copy of my criminal history ($60, I think) and then CT's DPS for the same ($75, I think), provide DPS with this information along with the fee for them to do the same thing effectively costing me more than twice what it should. This can't be right. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

I hope someone can help me answer a question regarding the non-res CT permit application. The application seems to require you to provide the DPS with any criminal history but part of what we're paying for is for them to check our criminal history. Other states where I have obtained my permit have merely asked one to sign a release so they can get the information and don't require one to provide it. It doesn't make sense to provide them the detail that we are paying them to go and get. I have had a couple of minor scrapes over 20 years ago the details of which I cannot remember.

So if I'm understanding CT's process correctly, I would have to contact the FBI and get a copy of my criminal history ($60, I think) and then CT's DPS for the same ($75, I think), provide DPS with this information along with the fee for them to do the same thing effectively costing me more than twice what it should. This can't be right. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

CT will contact the FBI for the check not you. You just have to send CT the money to pay for the FBI check and the local check....+ the application fee.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back