CSU to redo weapons policy

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
The Faculty Council at Colorado State University recently announced it would reword the student conduct policy to clarify that students with a valid permit are allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus.

The current policy states that CSU prohibits the, "use or possession on University property of firearms or simulated weapons; other weapons such as blades larger than pocket knives; ammunition or explosives; dangerous chemicals, substances or materials; or bombs or incendiary devices prohibited by law. Use of any such item, even legally, in a manner that harms, threatens, or causes fear to others [is prohibited]."

CSU is one of 11 universities in the U.S. that allows students with permits to carry concealed weapons on campus, along with Blue Ridge Community College and public schools in Utah.

At the University of Denver, the student code of conduct states that, "any possession and/or use of weapons...used to inflict injury or damage while on University premises, even if the student possesses a valid concealed weapons permit or other lawful permission to carry a weapon [is prohibited]."

DU is not currently looking at reexamining the existing policy.

"I am comfortable with our existing policy, particularly in the absence of any hard evidence to support a change," said Daniel Kast, the director of Citizenship and Community Standards.

Colorado law requires that anyone obtaining a weapons permit be a Colorado resident, at least 21 years of age and hasve completed a handgun class or be a member of the military or law enforcement service.

The law also prohibits people subject to a restraining order, those who have had two or more alcohol-related convictions in the past 10 years and unlawful users of controlled substances from being issued permits. Typically, universities are not obligated to follow this law.

Although DU is not currently looking into changing the policy, DU students have varying opinions on the issue.

"I think their reason for disallowing it is because they are worried about crazy people carrying [concealed weapons] on campus and they're trying to avoid a Virginia Tech type situation," said sophomore Nick D'Antonio of DU policy.

"But in reality, if someone is crazy like that anyway, they are going to do it whether or not they have a concealed carry license."

On the other hand, Miguel Lander, a junior, disagrees. He said he would be very uncomfortable with anyone, permit or no permit, having a gun in class.

"I would be uncomfortable with knowing a few people in my class had guns with them," he said. "I don't know what kind of people they are. I mean, what if they became really angry and passionate about something? I don't know them so how can I trust them to be rational people enough to never go there?"

Source: Link Removed

Relax, Little Miguel, chances are, if there was a crazy person on campus who had a gun and decided to inflict harm on you sheep, there will be several sheep dogs who will quickly and effectively neutralize the situation before you have time to scream and run to the corner to cower.

Remember:
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

~Samuel Adams

:biggrin:

"I think their reason for disallowing it is because they are worried about crazy people carrying [concealed weapons] on campus and they're trying to avoid a Virginia Tech type situation," said sophomore Nick D'Antonio of DU policy.

Huh... You'd think a sophomore in college would have substantially better developed critical thinking skills.

Guns on Campus

Irrational thinking for sure...Had there been issue permit gun holders allowed the death toll at Virginia Tech, would have been much smaller. When has an unarmed populace in any shootout ever helped to diminish the violence? Probably preaching to the choir but reason says "you wanna come to my world (school, church, wherever people congregate) be advised their just might be some folks here that are armed and really know how and when to use lethal force. I'm good with that, and I am one of those that carry everywhere all the time...

Irrational thinking for sure.

Of course. Since choosing the option of armed self-defense is rational, all arguments to the contrary are irrational, being based on beliefs and feelings, not facts.

CSU's rational practice (if not published policy) of permitting licensed concealed carry on campus has always amazed me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back