Crossman 66 Powermaster fix

OldOwl

66 POWERMASTER by CROSSMAN

Link Removed er...

This gun is unsurpassed in VALUE. I bought one about, oh, maybe eight years ago, and just had my first problem with it. And I've run over a thousand rounds through it and never cleaned the barrel.

All of a sudden it wasn't pumping up to full pressure. You can give it up to 10 pumps depending on how much you want to devastate your target. I use two for a warning shot to the ass a few times to run off squirrels destroying stuff. Third shot, 10 pumps and a head shot. Done deal.

Anyway, all of a sudden it's not pumping at ALL, and every squirrel for a mile shows up at my bird feeders. And it's like they KNOW the gun is down! They usually FLY away at the first sound of a window lock moving. Now they just sit there and laugh if I go out and try to scare them off. Broke a $9.00 arrow on one I got so aggravated.

So I go to Wallmart where I bought it, and they are useless. No parts no service. I go to the gun shop. The owner says "You need "special" tools for them, no gun smith will touch one." So this morning it's squirrel city in my yard. Oh, by the way, there are FOUR or five .177 pellets stuck in the barrel now. So I break off and straighten a coat hanger and ram rod out the pellets, from the muzzle end back.

I see that there's supposed to be a rubber plunger on the end of the pump mechanism and it's missing. So I fire up the HOT GLUE and put a dab on the end of the metal pump mechanism, and close it, then tip the rifle muzzle down and let it cool for a few minutes. Craxk open the fore end as if to pump it up, and there's the rubber I wanted to retrieve!

On the other end of the lever (fore end) is a pin which I knock out with a center punch (nail set) and then there's one standard screw holding the whole mess on to the bottom of the barrel.

I use my .12 Ga cleaning pad to scrub the tube where the pump rod goes and spray it with light Remington oil. Removed the rubber plunger, cleaned the hot glue off and wipe it all down and firmly press it back into the part which holds it, and lightly lube it with gun oil.

Put it all back together, and this baby is good as NEW! I came SO close to dumping it in the trash and buying a new one, but heck, I figure I SAVED $50 an hour which is as good as MAKING $50 an hour.

Hasn't been ONE darn squirrel in sight since I fixed it. :pleasantry:

The moral of the story is, I guess you're supposed to keep that plunger LUBED! I was always taught oil destroys rubber. Maybe a good wet silicone spray once a month will do the trick from now on.

Great! Thanks Dave. I'll keep that on file, I'm sure I will need parts eventually.

Since we're on the subject, I ordered a hard to find sling clamp for my .12 Ga. today. These guys had it in stock, they're open 7 days a week and it will be shipped on Monday. Talked with "Billy." Nice guy.

Link Removed

Crosman air rifles are great, cheap fun :)

I had a 66 powermaster growing up, I flat wore it out. I picked up a 760 pumpmaster recently and have been plinking in my basement with it :)
Best $35 I've spent in a long time

Last edited:
All of a sudden it wasn't pumping up to full pressure. You can give it up to 10 pumps depending on how much you want to devastate your target. I use two for a warning shot to the ass a few times to run off squirrels destroying stuff. Third shot, 10 pumps and a head shot. Done deal.
Since those squirrels are just wandering up, they're free food if you don't mind cooking.

I don't know about that. I've eaten some funky stuff in my life, but tree rats? I'd have to be desperate, and wounded.

I finally got some time to set up a target and this baby is shooting low and barely penetrates a cardboard box. Might be time for a complete rebuild, which might cost more than the $50 the gun costs. This throw away society is what killed our economy, and it bothers me to throw away something repairable, but when I do the math, I might just toss it.

I could not remember what model I have, :no: I had to look.. It is 2104x. It has a small scope.. Shoots Straight and is quiet!

I don't know about that. I've eaten some funky stuff in my life, but tree rats? I'd have to be desperate, and wounded.

I finally got some time to set up a target and this baby is shooting low and barely penetrates a cardboard box. Might be time for a complete rebuild, which might cost more than the $50 the gun costs. This throw away society is what killed our economy, and it bothers me to throw away something repairable, but when I do the math, I might just toss it.

I have heard more than one person say that squirrel can actually be pretty tasty, so I'd try it :)

All the same, you can re-use the scope from your current one (if you have one) and put it on a model that didn't come with and save $15. My 760 was like $35 when I bought it. (Looks like it's $38 on that website).

And that 2104x looks JUST like my 66 from years ago...

Well, even though I'm on low power, they seem to know I'm armed again, lol. All I have to do is open a blind or touch a window and they scatter. That's all I care about. Preserving the food for the birds who can't bury nuts. Winters almost over and they are all on their own again.

UPDATE:

I E-mailed them and got this reply in case anyone else ever needs parts.

We do not carry parts for the Crosman you may contact Crosman at 1-800-724-7486 for repairs and parts.

Thank you

Home | Compasseco

Then I went to Wallmart and stimulated the economy by purchasing a new one. I tested the old one on a phone book and got about 115 pages of penetration. The new one gives me 250 pages with 9 pumps.

I've been thinking about an air rifle......

..... but i seem to be way behind the times.:wacko:

I haven't touched one since my childhood "Daisy" bb/pellet gun broke. When I started looking around (after reading this thread) I see that pellets have come a looooong way. Any recommendations on a real performer, both rifle and ammo? I would be looking for something that I can pump, as it would be used for small game hunting in a SHTF situation.

Not a Pump

Although not a pump this is a great low cost target gun. The same company makes some very good
low cost pumps.

I have had this one for several years with no problems at all. And it loves critters. I was reluctant too get
this at first because it was a brand i knew nothing about, but then they had a good sale and I went for it.

Link Removed

That's a great sight Dave posted. If you roam around in there you can learn a lot about the different types of pellet guns.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back