Crossing the country

Hi all - just joined the forum and I haven't seen a straight answer to this question yet, so forgive me if I missed it somewhere and this is redundant...

I will be traveling across the country in a few months. I have a carry permit in the state of Maine, and I wanted to take a long gun with me (female traveling alone). I know that some states honor a Maine permit and some don't, but is this for handguns only? Someone told me that a shotgun would be no problem, another that I would be fine as long as I don't stop in states that don't honor the permit! I am unclear. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks!

There is no straight answer. You'll have to check the regs of each state you pass through.
Call the states Dept of Safety, they will answer your questions. Have them send you an email confirming their answer and print it out to take with.
Get a non-resident permit from a state that will cover the states your permit doesn't cover.
Check the links below, call the state's agencies.
Links: Link Removed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state
NRA-ILA | Guide To The Interstate Transportation

Final Note: Information on any forum is only so accurate. It's your responsibility to check the links, info, etc for content.

To the Wanderer, here's a straight answer. As look as the state you're going to has no problem with you having that weapon, then you can take it through any state you need too. You just need to have it unloaded and kept in your car trunk in a enclosed case. Perferably a locked case. Do that, and you'll be fine.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back