crappy sights

crazycathed

I been shooting a S&W 4014 I got a month ago and the sights are awful.my rounds hit a foot below where I'm aiming. the sight isn't adjustable and I know next to nothing about guns. I know I'm aiming correctly. I use the 6:00 and my hits are dead on with my 1911, but with the other pistol I'm hitting my target in the toodles instead of center mass. what adjustable sight would be recommended for this? can I put it on myself or would a gunsmith be needed?

I usually let a gunsmith install sights as I have a tendency to tear up my pistol during install. As for adjustable sights I am not sure.

Are you sure you're not pulling the barrel down when you fire? I am deadly accurate with my Taurus PT92. My first day at the range with a new Glock 30 had me thinking the same thing about the sights, but after 200 rounds I was shooting a 3" grouping on target at 15 yards. Just had to get used to the gun.

I thought I was doing that dropping the barrel also, but I wasn't. I shot exactly the way I was taught and still shoot way low. I do the exact same targeting with my 1911 and hit dead on. I'm shooting again this week. just got in some police training targets I'm anxious to use.I'll take pics of both .40 and 1911 group using the same sighting. you'll be amazed at how far from center the grouping is. I have to align the top of the rear sight with the bottom of the front sight to come close to center. I'd prob be more accurate if I threw my gun at the target.

Last edited:
I thought I was doing that dropping the barrel also, but I wasn't. I shot exactly the way I was taught and still shoot way low. I do the exact same targeting with my 1911 and hit dead on. I'm shooting again this week. just got in some police training targets I'm anxious to use.I'll take pics of both .40 and 1911 group using the same sighting. you'll be amazed at how far from center the grouping is. I have to align the top of the rear sight with the bottom of the front sight to come close to center. I'd prob be more accurate if I threw my gun at the target.

Have you tried shooting it from a rest? Then you'll know for sure if it's you or the gun.

Have you tried shooting it from a rest? Then you'll know for sure if it's you or the gun.

It was me. I was used to much heavier gun with lighter recoil and trigger. Just had to adjust to the new gun. It's not a problem anymore. I was going to try a rest, but after about the 50th round it started to come together.

I went to a gun shop to inquire and was told adjustable sights sit higer than fixed sights and the sights on my pistol was made to reduce snags when drawn. so I'll probably leave them and adjust my shooting style for this particular pistol.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back