Cowhide or Horsehide

jumeda33

Hello everybody and Happy New Year. I am new to this forum and I would like to get some opinions. To help you out here is some info. I have a S&W M&P 9c. I live in Florida so therefore I usually dress in shorts and a polo shirt tucked in. This also includes going to work. I really like the idea of the High Noon Holsters. I don't know if I should go with cowhide or horsehide and whether or not it should cant. I will carry between 3 and 5. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
David

Welcome Jumeda33, I have 3 high noon holsters, and all of them are cowhide. They work great for me. From what I have read and heard from other gunowners, horsehide is better at repelling water. This would be a huge plus for you being in Florida, where you will be near the ocean, and sweating all over the holster.

As for the cant, well that is more of a matter of preferance. All of my holsters have a 15 degree cant, which I think conceals the butt of the gun better (at least in my opinion). I have 2 downunders, and a tailgunner all with the steel spring clip.

Since I've been hurt by horses in the past [kicked, stomped, and rolled on] I recommend horsehide :yes2:

As to kant I use "0" zero kant so I can draw with either hand, by reaching behind my back.

My word to you on high noon is spend the extra money and get a holster that puts leather between you and the whole gun. I bought one of their lower cost holsters that does not have the full backing and the slide digs my side thru my tee shirt. It was a difference of about $50.00 that I did not spend and I wish I would have.

Horsehide

Keeps persperation away from gun. Better choice in Florida, due to heat/humidity.

The Horsehide tends to remain stiff over a longer period of time and hold it's form, even under sweat and humidity. I have several Kramer holsters in horsehide, and while the cowhide holsters are just fine, the horsehide does tend to last longer and resist the excess stretching or becomming too loose. Don't get me wrong, it will break in normally, but just tends to be tougher over the years when exposed to sweat, humidity and such.

Horse hide has a tighter grain than cow hide. Dyes will not soak into it which is why it comes in a natural color. Bought a super tuck in horse hide. Very comfortable.

I like horsehide and will usually go with it if there is an option. It never looks as sharp as cowhide but from a functionality stand point, I like it's benefits over cow.

Hello All! I am new to this forum. I have a question on the Super Tuck... Does anyone carry a full size with this holster? I am deciding on the S&W M&P .40cal compact or full size. I would like the full size as it will mostly be for home defense and range, but would like to occasionally carry. The Super Tuck Deluxe looks like a great holster. Anyone out there with a comparable or the same firearm and STD holster??

"Horsehide is a denser and tighter grained flesh than cowhide. This results in it being more moisture resistant. Customers in very humid climates or who tend to sweat heavily find this to be a useful option as horsehide tolerates dampness better."

That is a quote right off of CrossBreed Holsters "FAQ", and it is true. Also, Cowhide wears out faster than Horsehide. Hope this helps...

Hello All! I am new to this forum. I have a question on the Super Tuck... Does anyone carry a full size with this holster? I am deciding on the S&W M&P .40cal compact or full size. I would like the full size as it will mostly be for home defense and range, but would like to occasionally carry. The Super Tuck Deluxe looks like a great holster. Anyone out there with a comparable or the same firearm and STD holster??

Yes you can, either/or... Supertuck accomodates both M&Pc & M&P fullsize handguns.

Jumeda, Welcome.

My primary carry pistol is the Smith and Wesson M&P 9c. I carry everywhere I go, every day. aproximately 3 years ago I called a company called "Kramer Leather" by reccomendation and asked them to produce for me a Horsehide scabbard for my M&P 9c. Let me tell you something... three years later, that holster still rides my body as tight as it did the day I put it on, It still holds the gun as tightly in place as the day I first put it on.

My personal reccomendation based on 3 years of experience with that particular gun is the black horsehide scabbard from Kramer Leather. I remember it being expensive... I dont recall the exact price but Im glad I bought it.

I have two horse-hide Crossbreed Super Tucks...one for my Springfield XD(m) .40 S&W, and one for my Kimber Eclipse Pro II. The Kimber is a Commander-sized 1911, and the Springfield is fairly full-sized as well. Both carry very comfortably in the Supertuck, as long as you have a sturdy belt. They require a little break-in, but once the horsehide has molded to your body shape I can wear mine all day with no discomfort whatsoever.

MojoTexas

I've never had a horsehide holster but at least one maker told me he personally didn't believe I would notice any difference between cow and horse. Still, he does offer it at the higher price. That in itself tells me to save the bucks for something a bit more tangible.
Regards,

Good news is... if you buy one and you don't like it, you can get a majority of your money back on ebay (this is NOT my auction).

$85 for that holster new, currently at $55 plus shipping with 4 days to go...

Link Removed

If you have the cash and the time to wait I believe I was told by the milt sparks representitive I spoke with that they use horse on the inside(part that touches your body) and cow on the rest. I know they list options for cow and horse seperately on their website but I was told mine would be made out of both unless otherwise specified.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back